-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do shotguns count? Okay, well only two in one shot, but it was from a helicopter, so that counts for 5 in one shot, since I was shooting down at them and not horizontal. laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well crap! I aint never shot one of them thaings at one shot 'cept it wuz in Germany (where they came frum) That was a few months ago . Thoze Kraut boyz usually use verrry 'xpensiv gunz to kill pigs at night wit big eye 'scopes an' fancy highsitz blinds or they get all in a bunch with sum hounds and push them outta the bush and then they git all excidid and blow hornz and stuff. A 30-06 works good there too! (sorry, couldn't resist! ) ;-)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
what's the big deal about two for one over a feeder??

Last edited by castnblast; 06/21/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are those lot torch thingers? Cool idea. Are they just hollowed out or what? I like the vent holes in the sides. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The torches are very dry spruce logs cut on the end with a chainsaw like pieces of a pie. They pour a little kerosene on the end to get it lit and use the torches during the end of hunt ceremony.
The game killed that day is laid out with the "last bite" in the mouth, a leaf over the wound, and a horn tune is played to honour the dead quarry. A very different cultural experience for me! Our "traditions" here in the north are quite a bit less refined.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by castnblast

HELLLLOOO..I find it easier to sit in an air cond./heated stand watching tv and drinking beer watching a feeder throw corn than trouncing through the woods dragging a cooler AND a rifle. Sheesh.

BP...

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flinch
What are those lot torch thingers? Cool idea. Are they just hollowed out or what? I like the vent holes in the sides. Flinch

Castnblast is right. These are used all over Europe (and I saw one made in northern Canada once too).

Names vary: Swedish Torch, Finnish Candle, etc.

I have seen both pine and spruce used. Just cut an X with a chainsaw, drip a little kerosene or some other flammable liquid in (just a little is needed) and light'em up.

Here is a video:

They put out a lot of heat, and last hours. We make them when we are moose hunting in -20C or colder weather -- they are the only way you can stay on stand for hours without fidgeting in those temps, regardless of how many layers you have on!

The smoke evidently covers the human scent too... I shot a smallish moose bull that followed the smoke towards me some years ago.

John

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by boilerpig1

HELLLLOOO..I find it easier to sit in an air cond./heated stand watching tv and drinking beer watching a feeder throw corn than trouncing through the woods dragging a cooler AND a rifle. Sheesh.

BP...

I find what works best is to train them to fetch a cold brew and bring it to ya. You can count coup as long as they behave.
This one got to sampling the goods so....................

[Linked Image]

Best
GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by boilerpig1

BP...

I find what works best is to train them to fetch a cold brew and bring it to ya. You can count coup as long as they behave.
This one got to sampling the goods so....................

[Linked Image]

Best
GWB

grin grin

BP...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I killed 2 little piglets with one arrow when I first started shooting pigs. They probalby weighed less than 8 pounds each. I guess you could call it kinda a skillet shot.

I've shot more hogs with .45ACP than any other round. I'm sure I've "killed" more than 1 at a time, but normally if I see one fall over I stop right there and go back to the truck. I'm not big on the recovery of the pig part lol.

Last edited by NathanL; 06/21/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djones
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Twelve with one bullet out of 260 Rem.

BCR

Me too, except with .308. Some were even hit more than once with the same bullet!!! They ran around to the end of the line for more.

[Linked Image]

It takes a fellow Texan to do it, but I can top that...

I've killed 13 with one shot more than once...Of course 12 weren't quite born yet...grin.

Best eatin' hogs are very pregnant sows - efficiency of hog eradication is maximized, as well.

DJ

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Does 2 eyes with one shot count for anything?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DJTex
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Twelve with one bullet out of 260 Rem.

BCR

Me too, except with .308. Some were even hit more than once with the same bullet!!! They ran around to the end of the line for more.

[Linked Image]

It takes a fellow Texan to do it, but I can top that...

I've killed 13 with one shot more than once...Of course 12 weren't quite born yet...grin.

Best eatin' hogs are very pregnant sows - efficiency of hog eradication is maximized, as well.

DJ

You guys are sumpin'

I may not be as good a shot as you all, but what I lack in speed, I make up in stamina.

On the occasion of this whack and stack, I had not had the opportunity to hunt in about three weeks, so I was suffering from a severe case of SDD (shooting deficit disorder) I informed my dear wife of my affliciton and she said it sounded to her like I needed to go to the deer lease and cure what ails me. And whackin' hogs is just the ticket.
In addition I had been neglectin' to shoot my sako 7 mag for a while and it was sending out petulant vibes. So many rifles and so little time. I decided to load up some 140 gr accubonds and go and see if I couldn't get some relief. Got to my lease in Vanderpool Texas on a Thursday afternoon. Got on the stand at 3:00 pm. First hog came in at 3:30. Whacked him at 125 yds. He was DRT. Four more hogs came in about 4:30. Lined two up and got both with one shot. About 5:10 a group of about 20 more hogs came in and I got another double. Five hogs in two hours. Not a bad afternoons work.I was feeling better already.
Friday morning I left and went to Concan,Tx. I got in the stand about 3:30. About 4 pm a single came in and I nailed him. Ten minutes later another single came in. I nailed him. Finally about 5:15 a group of about 10 hogs came in. I lined up two trying to get a double. I heard the bullet hit and saw them scatter. Next,I put the crosshairs on a big sow that was running away. I nailed her. Got down and went to look. I found 4 hogs. It was getting dark so I did not go look to see if I could find the second half of the double. My camera was on the blink and the pix aren't the best. But all in all a pretty good whack job.
GWB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSC04742.jpg[/img]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well, I had recently sharpened my best skinning blade. When I pulled it out the shadow of the blade cut the two front legs off the hog before I could get it back in the scabbard.

I hate wasting meat.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Does 2 eyes with one shot count for anything?

Yeah, a bullet does tend to change the pressure in their head.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Well, I had recently sharpened my best skinning blade. When I pulled it out the shadow of the blade cut the two front legs off the hog before I could get it back in the scabbard.

I hate wasting meat.

That will teach you to skin on a full moon.

Best

GWB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 50 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,691
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.