Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just purchased a reloading setup and looking for a good starting point. Want a load that burns clean and recoils mildly for a light 12 bore double. Targets would be grouse and woodcock in the woods, tight patterns not helpful. 7/8 oz. or 1oz. of shot I imagine.

thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How is a tight pattern not helpful? Holes in your pattern are surely not going to help you put birds in the bag.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Nobody said anything about holes in the pattern. Just looking for widest pattern that is still dense enough to reliably kill grouse and woodcock at close ranges. Too dense a pattern can chew up a grouse or woodcock on very close shots, which are often the only shot we have in my stomping grounds. And a larger pattern is easier to hit with in this fast, close shooting.

I understand that harder shot tends to hold tighter patterns, all else being equal, due to less pellet deformation. And that higher velocities can cause more spread, at least with soft shot?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's a 1-ounce load I've used quite a bit in light 12's. It gets around 1200 fps and is deadly on all sorts of woods birds, from blue grouse down:

Rem. Premier case
R209P primer
18.0 grain Ramshot Competition
F12S0 wad

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I load mostly 7/8 oz in 12 gauge these days, some 1 oz. My favorite powder, bar none, is Alliant E3. It's cheaper too, as the charges I throw to get about 1175 fps are only 16.8 gr and 16.2 gr respectively (the odd decimals are where the charge bushings wound up to get closest to 1175 fps). Savings are not in the cost per pound, but cost per load. Clean burning also.

Other stuff:

Rem STS hulls
Claybuster WAASLs clones, gray for 7/8, pink for 1 oz.
Win 209 primer

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by shouldershot
tight patterns not helpful.

A tight pattern to me would mean a nice evenly spread pattern with no holes in it. I realize you can somewhat open the spread by loading with diferent types of wads. But in reality your choke is going to dictate how open or tight your pattern is going to be.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I just realized that I've been loading the same load since I started reloading. Just put fifty together to go shoot clays tomorrow morning. I started in Win cardboard cases and the old 57* RP shur shots plastics, both with card wads. It is 1 1/8 ounce shot and 18.5 grains of Red Dot. There have been a bunch of other loads, but I've been going back to that one since the sixties. I did switch to Windjammer wads a number of years back.
I'm gonna watch this thread. The old shoulder needs work, I tore a retina a year to two ago, and... you get the idea. I need to try some lighter stuff that shoots loose in a tight tube. It should be that magical load that can track a grouse or woodcock thru timber or zone in on a clay bird. I don't care if there are holes in the pattern as long as the nice even part of the pattern finds my targets.
Bfly

Last edited by Blackfly1; 06/17/11.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Blackfly1 I like my chokes like I like my ladies, TIGHT. But every once in a while its not bad to have a loose one to remind you just how good the tight ones are!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Montana,
Nicely put! laugh
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite powders for 7/8ths loads are American Select and Tightwad. Tightwad does better in Fitasc type loads (i.e. fast; 1350 or so fps). American Select is just so flexible, it's easy to go down into the 1150 range and still have consistent loads.

My experience is that any quality wad with a sensible load in the 1200 fps range gives good patterns. HHT, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go to the Winchester or Remington website and duplicate their light target load formula. Time proven and tested. You probably can't do any better. At Ruffed Grouse/Woodcock distance pointing means more than choke. Seen a lot of Grouse come to rest in the leaves. Few have been blown up irrespective of choke.

Last edited by battue; 06/19/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've just started making this load for my boys for shooting clays with a 12 gauge. Very soft shooting and still busts clays with authority. 16 g Clays Win Waa12 SL wad (pink) Win 209 primer with Win AA hulls. This load shoots around 1125 fps.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Cowman , how much shot?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shoulder,
I have loaded a pile of 7\8 oz loads and they break close targets well.
It started when lead price went from 16 to 18 a bag to OMG its how much?
I have had the best luck with the winchester gray wad WAA12L, but the SL will crimp in the AA hulls or the STS.
I am trying to get thru a 4 pound jug of Red Dot that I bought during the powder shortage. It is just not as clean as the Clays.
I am loading a very mild load that is cycling a pair of Rem, 1100's with cut down stocks. My objective is a very soft shooting load that will give minimal recoil for new shooters.
We shoot both guns with a skeet choke and stay on targets that are not far out. The kids have been crushing them. It is amazing how many more shells they will shoot with the light stuff. Our goal is easy to break targets with kids having a good time to start.
Montana is right if the range is longer. But we just limit the distance.
Hodgden has a very good site with data for just about any wad/hull combo you can think of. They give a range of speeds. The loads are vary easy to shoot out of a fixed breach gun.
Remington has a 7\8 1100 fps factory load if you want to try it.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Just purchased a reloading setup and looking for a good starting point. Want a load that burns clean and recoils mildly for a light 12 bore double. Targets would be grouse and woodcock in the woods, tight patterns not helpful. 7/8 oz. or 1oz. of shot I imagine.

thanks

7/8 and 1 oz. loads have worked very well on singles and first shot on doubles (talking trap here). I've used my fox sterlingworth (old double made in 1910) with light loads with great success. Here are some of the loads that have worked well for me in both the game fields and money fields grin, sorry I meant trap fields:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope you guys are having a hell of a father's day grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cowman
I've just started making this load for my boys for shooting clays with a 12 gauge. Very soft shooting and still busts clays with authority. 16 g Clays Win Waa12 SL wad (pink) Win 209 primer with Win AA hulls. This load shoots around 1125 fps.

Spot on brother, that is a good load.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My bad, that is a one ounce load. I thought about going to a 7/8 oz load, but my nine year old has no problem shooting this through my Benelli. Last night my boys (12 and 9) played Annie Oakley with a twelve vs a twenty and ended up in a dead heat. May do that again this evening with a few neighbor boys, hard to top that for a Father's day grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BSA
that second Fox Gun looks like mine. I love shooting that one. My brother in law sold it to me a while back. I think he is still thinking he should have kept it.
Mine is 30" and the chokes are tight. But it sure is a fun shooter.
Do you shoot trap with yours?

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
BSA
that second Fox Gun looks like mine. I love shooting that one. My brother in law sold it to me a while back. I think he is still thinking he should have kept it.
Mine is 30" and the chokes are tight. But it sure is a fun shooter.
Do you shoot trap with yours?

Not on a regular basis but it is fun to take them out every once in a while. The one on the top (previous picture) is my fox model B and the one on the bottom is the sterlingworth. The sterlingworth is my favorite field gun though, it is light handles awesome and fits me like a glove. It also carries great which is a plus on a long day of bird hunting grin. My regular trap guns are my BT-99 and yes a remington 870 wingmaster field grade with a trap barrel on it (it is also a left hander and handles like a dream).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I have to run steel on waterfall I use the old el-cheapo rem 870 express wink

On a side note for my sterlingworth, I have even taken some nice turkey out there a long way with it (with 2 3/4" turkey loads of course). It's laid down every turkey I've pointed it at and I love the old girl. It was my great grandfather's who was also left handed. One I'll never get rid of.

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Blackfly1 I like my chokes like I like my ladies, TIGHT. But every once in a while its not bad to have a loose one to remind you just how good the tight ones are!

Haha. Quite possibly the best quote I have read on this site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,779
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.