-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TLee, you'll be missed for certain. That said I am sure this is one in the course of many get togethers that folks around here will be stringing together.

We'll get you here eventually, and when we do look out!{especially for that Darby fellow}grin

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Ok... many miles and lot'sa looking... because of the restriction of 'NO' gas grills/stoves unless a official campground... we have to camp in a campground and i've checked them all. I choose the Cove campground at Quemado lake. It is free, basically just a big common area that we can get multiple trailers in, next to the water and has bathrooms. It's easy to find... Hwy 32 just a couple hundred yds west of the Largo hotel. Head south to the Quemado lake turnoff, about 14 miles. Turn east, 4 miles to the lake and Cove is the first campground with a big sign.

The others are seperate sites that have a fee.

For shooting, there is a two track not far from Hwy 32 on the lake rd, that goes into a nice spot.

I was hoping to buy 'Taylor' sweet corn, grown up by Showlow, but couldn't find any at the couple places I checked. Usually it's in all the stores... Anyway, I was unable to get corn, as all that was available was really crappy looking stuff at safeway in Springerville. If you guys want corn on the cob, you'll need to designate someone to get some, otherwise we can make baked potatoes, no problem.

When coming to Ken's, there are no street signs, so remember, Church is across from the post office, next to the abandoned gas station... of course there are only 4 or 5 streets in Quemado and you can't not find his house if you just drove every road.

I have no cell service at the lake... if you can't get ahold of me, call Ken.

I've already seen elk and antelope in the area.

Kent

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Packing up the pickup now.... I'll try to find some Corn here in ABQ. Shouldnt be a problem. Is the fishing decent?? Should i bring the flyrod?

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear they have good sized tiger muskie in the lake...
Not sure what else though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loaded up and headed out. If I'm not there when you get there, call for help! See y'all in a few...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having a great time. Only one casualty so far

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who shall remain nameless until the rest of the weasels make it their home computers!

Ben

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You should post a photo and then all will know. I will break out my camera later and do some downloading. Too tired right now.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will post some photos, but don't have that particular one in my camera.

Ben

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here are a few.

[Linked Image]

Here is the PA kid

[Linked Image]

We were shooting to this cliff

[Linked Image]

And this is what held me up on the way home

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few more...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And a few more:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mudhen; 07/17/11.

Ben

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys now OFFICIALLY SUCK in my book! smile smile smile

DAMN! Looks like a good time fellas.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sixteen super-nice people (except for one useless ol' fossil), ranging in age from two (?) to eighty enjoyed warm fellowship over good grub that ranged from custom-grilled rib-eye steaks to fresh home-made banana bread (still hot from the oven!). There was just enough of a light sprinkle to "settle the dust" and just enough breeze to keep us all cool � and to keep the bugs away. We couldn't shoot at the camp ground, so the local prairie dog was safe � free to wonder who that crazy crowd was. But about three miles away, we were able to shoot � legally and in complete privacy � for hours � all to ourselves. The roarers ranged from my 12-inch .357 Magnum revolver to a couple of muzzle-loaders, a shotgun, and a .45-70 Contender pistol.

Just a handful of us even knew, before this event, that there was such a wonderful place as Quemado Lake in this nape of the woods. One of the fellows very wisely suggested that we ought to get together like this, here, again and again � that this Campfire get-together should be just the first of many.

I hope so!

Another fellow told me that he hadn't known that Quemado Lake existed and was planning to come back, later, with his family, for a longer visit.

Several people have asked about fishing in Quemado Lake. I'm not a fisherman, so I haven't been curious about that. But I checked. The official word is that there's catch-and-release fishing for tiger muskies. This official description tells more �

New Mexico's Quemado Lake
(Information provided by USDA Forest Service, edited for punctuation and reformatted for easier reading by Ken Howell)

The 800-acre Quemado Lake Recreation Area is approximately 20 miles south of Quemado. The recreation area includes the 131-acre man-made trout lake with two ADA fishing piers, two boat ramps, seven developed camp grounds, one primitive camp ground, and links to more than seven miles of hiking trails. The lake is nestled between pi�on-juniper woodlands and pine forests at an elevation of 7,860 feet. Quemado is stocked with rainbow trout in fall, winter, and spring months. The lake offers year-round trout fishing and warm-water fishing for channel catfish and small-mouth bass during the summer months.

� Juniper camp ground, open from May to October, offers 18 RV spaces with water and electrical hookups for $15/day and 18 single-family sites for $10/day.

� Pi�on camp ground, open from May to October, offers 23 single-family sites for $6/day. Reservations are taken for 2 group sites at Pinon for $35/day for a 30-person site or $55/day for a 75-person site.

�Juniper and Pi�on are open from May 1 to September 30.

� Free primitive camping with vault toilets is available in the Cove and El Caso camp grounds. Boat use is restricted to oars or electric motors. (The Campfire crowd gathered at the Cove camp ground. KEH)

Quemado Lake Overlook Trail leads through stands of ponderosa pines and dead-ends at a rock outcrop that overlooks the lake. A bench along the trail is available for resting and lake viewing. From the overlook, panoramic views of El Caso Peak, Castle Rock, and Quemado Lake provide excellent photographic opportunities. The trail connects to two additional trails that access El Caso Lookout and Sawmill Canyon for extended hiking. Many species of birds inhabit the area.

Directions
From Quemado, travel west on Highway 60 for 0.5 mile. Turn south on Highway 32 and travel 16 miles to Highway 103.

The lake is four miles from Highway 103. Highway 103 continues beyond the lake.

The highlight of the get-together was, of course, that so many of us came to know nice people as "Gary" "Dennis," and "Ben," instead of mysterious on-screen "handles" like j48j48, CCCC, and krp.

Oh, to be alive about this time next year, for Campfire-Quemado Get-Together II! Next year, I hope, the crowd will be several good guys larger (a few certain ones in particular, whom we really missed!).

For more information, Google or Bing "Quemado Lake" and "Quemado Lake campgrounds."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis you must have made it through SRC right after us...
When we were passing they were just spreading the kitty litter on that wreck. Glad we made it through so the wrecker could upright that rig.

Pics to come momentarily.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You forgot J48's wife's cherry pie- damn it was good!

Couple more pics:

Kent with the HUGE revolver.

[Linked Image]

and the "Kid"

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dennisinaz; 07/17/11. Reason: pics

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pics
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sunrise in Quemado
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Driving to Quemado Lake
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,343
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.