-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Asked this in the campfire section too, but figured it might be easier to find an answer over here.

Anyone been? Just wanted to see what sights you think are overrated, and what's a must see. Gonna have 4 nights this June to spend there before heading up to Finland for some other family history stuff.

Love war history and Hanseatic League/mearchant history stuff, but also like castles, palaces and fortifications.

Thanks for your thoughts.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I worked in Russia for a few years and went often to the Baltic States. Tallinn is a beautiful city. You obviously have to visit the Old Town ( on foot) and up town ( Toompea)

Check out Alexsander nevskiy Church, Kadriorog ( sp) Palace. The Botanic Gardens.

This web site has pretty good with suggestions too. Their restaurant info is good and up to date. I would take a train and visit some of the outer towns an districts.See Paldiski an old Soviet military base.I think can get ther eon train or bus.

Try all of the local beers, food, liquors too

My brother worked there last year. Can ask him too.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/estonia/things-to-do

T

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks a bunch.
I've already poured over a bunch of that Lonely Planet stuff. Have any favorite restaurants? How's the food scene in general?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hi
I'm living in Tallinn Estonia...info about dinning you can find at web site below:
http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/fpage/goodtime/wining_dining/restaurants.
Where to go and what to look also same Tallinn official homepage:
http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/
Food is fine and also beer...and girls...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Leaving tomorrow.... I'm excited. Spending the first night in Helsinki, then taking the booze cruise across to Tallinn in the afternoon.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have fun. You will enjoy your time there. Very interesting city

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Any restaurant recommendations?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I love Caucasian

Get the hachapouri

Must Lammas: (I-3) Sauna 2, in the old city; tel. 644-2031. Open:12-23; Sun. 12-18. Serves classy food from the Caucasus. Some dishes hit closer to target than others, but many are a delight. Their forte is appetizers, like the show-stopping stuffed grape leaves, dolma, and hachapuri. You could order appetizers alone and come away full—and fullysatisfied. Service is first-rate, too. www.mustlammas.ee

This is good for local food

Kuldse Notsu Kõrts (The Little Piggy Inn): (I-2) Dunkri 8, old city; tel. 628-6567. Open:12-24. Whether or not this is exactly what old Estonian inns looked like may be open to question. But in sheer comfort, good cheer and fine food, one would like to believe they were just likeThe Little Piggy Inn. A roaring fire place in the center of the main room sets the mood for the entire restaurant, which is run by the same people who do the impressive Schlössle and St. Petersbourg hotels. Test your language skills by translating the Estonian country wisdom is scrawled on the walls. www.notsu.ee

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll definitely check it out. Thanks. Heading over to Tallinn tomorrow

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just arrived...
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I'll check out Must Lammas tomorrow, but I found an interesting Russian joint for dinner tonight.
I'm not adventurous enough for this side of the menu:
[Linked Image]
Instead I had this:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I did hit Must Lammas tonight. The place was practically deserted at 7:00pm, but the food was delicious. And at 38.90 Euros, was a frickin steal considering how much I had to eat and drink, including Georgian Wine, two lamb dishes, some little vodka thingy with three cranberries in it with hazelnut or walnut spoon with a pickled vegetable of some sort, a ground meat thing, lamb kebabs and some kind of chop. My waiter really struggled with English, Estonian and Finnish, which kinda made it even more fun. I assume Russian was his native language, but I have no clue.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, uuuuhhhhh oops. I got a little too much of the taste of Tallinn's night life last night. Can't remember much of the later details, especially how I got back to my hotel, or when. Do remember waking up in the middle of the night to throw up, then when I got up at noon, I couldn't find my glasses, and had to ask the receptionist for help. They were somehow stuck between the headboard and mattress. And of course noon was when my boat left to go back to Helsinki, so I got the pleasure of paying for that twice. Yeah.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Too much nice blonde Estonian girls or to much beer and vodka, Mixing them can be...awful!
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sounds like a good time

I miss the Georgian wine over there.

Try and many dishes as possible

Are the women still gorgeous over there?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The women were still gorgeous and stylish.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.