Print Thread
Hop To
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I've been messing around with 140 ABs and H4350 in my .270 Ti of late, and I've run into a bit of a "snag"...or not...and thus my question.

The SAMMI COAL is 3.340 of course, and while I've loaded them out as long as 3.375 to date, it would appear I am still a LONG way from the lands and the current accuracy is not up to par (1.3ish MOA).

I tried the "smoked" bullet deal to measure my distance with the bullet in question, but that was a bit imprecise with my sausage-like fingers and gorilla dexterity as the likely culprit. Anyway, as best I can tell 3.610 SEEMS to be where I have contact...though I wouldn't wager a large sum of money on it and that seems proposterously far out.

I ended up loading my rounds at 3.475 as I just couldn't make myself go any longer than that. I guess my question is should I be concerned about anything with my rounds loaded out that far? They chamber just fine and there is still plenty of room in the magazine box, so I can't see where there would be a problem but I thought I better ask before I go back to the range and lose a finger or an eye.

What say you campfire?

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much bullet is in the neck?

I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Good question. I don't have any in front of me, but more than a quarter inch anyway.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's plenty. The 300 Savage and 300 Win. mag. do quite well with less than that.

You're still well off the lands, so you're probably not going to jack up the pressure.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the exact same rifle and had the same issue with the exact same bullet. The figures are at home, but the oal to the lands was way above the industry standard. Ended up seating them .020" off the lands, look goofy as hell but they fit in the mag box. Mine likes a max charge of H4831sc, and how you hold the forend has more to do with how it shoots than the charge of powder in my case. Mine will hold them into 3/4" if I do my part, but it took me a long time to get there.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As a general rule is there a safe minimum amount of the bullet that should remain in the neck? I had a similar issue with a 7x57 that I recently got and realized the lands were way out there. I shoot TTSXs so the bullets are plenty long, but how much should at least be in the neck if I try and stretch it out.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jryoung
As a general rule is there a safe minimum amount of the bullet that should remain in the neck?

I am not experienced in any way, and have no idea how far from the lands I am. Since I reload for a hunting rifle I started work up with bullets seat at magazine length, now I will start seating deeper and see if it improves or not, but here somewhere I read that at least a bullet's diameter should be in the neck, not sure of it.
JR - I know a guy with your same name... smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Originally Posted by jryoung
As a general rule is there a safe minimum amount of the bullet that should remain in the neck?

I am not experienced in any way, and have no idea how far from the lands I am. Since I reload for a hunting rifle I started work up with bullets seat at magazine length, now I will start seating deeper and see if it improves or not, but here somewhere I read that at least a bullet's diameter should be in the neck, not sure of it.
JR - I know a guy with your same name... smile

Diameter in the neck, that sounds familiar now that I think about it.

Same name huh? Is he strikingly handsome and an all-around great guy as well? wink

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
somewhere I read that at least a bullet's diameter should be in the neck, not sure of it

That has been around for a long time, but it isn't necessary.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although it's a bit imprecise in my experience, I think I might try the cartridge lengthg gauge now made by Hornady (I think). Useta be made by Stoney Point. In my .270 Win., I seat my bullets to -0.020" from the lands as measured to the ogive. But I use 150 gr. bullets. You don't mention your powder charge so I don't know if you're near ther top end or not.
You might also try the old "cleaning rod trick" by measuring/marking a cleaning rod to the bolt face. Insert a bullet to just touch the lands, then mark the cleaning rod again, thus giving you tha OAL. It's not that accurate but close enough. Just some ideas. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
iddave,
You magazine OAL may be the limiting factor as you alluded to earlier. I have to say my Stoneypoint tool with a modified case is something I could not be without. For any cartridge and rifle you can line up the bullets you want to test and run them into your chamber to measure where they touch. That gives you a real world number and starting point for OAL.

The other idea which may have been mentioned is to take an honest look at H4831SC. For my 270's (6) it is the "go to" powder from 130's to the 160.

Keep us posted on your progress.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the council boys. I'll keep everyone posted on future developments for those so inclined.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll second the Stoney Point/Hornady OAL guage, it seriously takes out the guesswork.

I bought a 7x57 and did not have the modified case yet from Midway so I tried to do it manually (opened up neck and a sooted/sharpied bullet) and got close, but had varying results.

With the OAL I can repeatedly find the lands and lock the length everytime with the same result.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here' a couple of things I have learned over the last 45 years of hand loading. A bullet diameter is the general accepted minimum seating depth. If you are seating .277 you have enough. Obviously, any distance in the case that holds the bullet securely is sufficent. As to SAMMI COAL, if your bullet is off the lands a few thousanths, you are good to go. SAMMI specs, are for general information, and designed to fit most firearms. You as a handloader, can and should experiment around until you find what your rifle likes best. A caution though, for hunting ammunition, it is better to be shorter, than longer. You don't want to get in the field, and then find your ammo won't fit the magazine or chamber properly. Take it from someone who has had this happen. Oh, BTW the 270 Winchester is and will always be by faqvorite cartridge, even though I have a gun safe full of other rifles.

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One word of caution from one who felt like an idiot for doing this. I tested getting closer to the lands and made longer loads for two different rifles\calibers. I got great results at the range so naturally I loaded up a bunch and went hunting- only to find that because of my range technique of top loading one cartridge at a time I did not realize that I had exceeded the magazine length in both rifles and could not 'load up' with anything other than one in the chamber. Opening myself up to ridicule here to hopefully allow you to save aggravation later. Real bummer having to start the process over again -and put up with ribbing from guys who shoot one box of store bought every five years mad . Btw I had great luck with same powder and Hornady 140's. For the 150's (just in case you ever try them) I got even better and more consistent results with H4831sc. Shot every load well in my CZ.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No ridicule necessary. Once you do that (I did many years ago) it shortens the learning curve. grin

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/14/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It happened to me too cry

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Me too, only it was loads for a buddy.

Never did it too myself.

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Last year a rifle went sorta flooey on me at the final sight check, so had to take one of my 270's...so here I am loading 30 rounds the night before I leave for Wyoming.

One 270 has a really long throat,unlike the one I planned to take and ,well,you guessed it...I grabbed the dummy seating round for the long throated rifle.In my haste to do the last minute stuff I did not run the loaded rounds through the rifle as a final check. eek

Of course I discover all this the first day in Wyoming when I jam a loaded round into the shorter throat 270 and have a powder spill and bullet stuck in the lands. mad

Fortunately the rancher is a handloader,had a press and 270 dies, and I seated everything deeper and was OK to rock on....

Course I have only been doing this stuff for about 40 years now and should have known better......but that's what happens when you woolgather instead of paying attention.....(sigh). frown

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/15/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
holy cow that is what I call luck. Rancher probably appreciated you being a handloader too.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.