Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

A 20 pointer(grin), I killed in Eastern Montana about 30 years ago.

That's a brute! cool

Last edited by mtcurman; 06/23/11.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definately not one that needs longarming or standing a few feet back behind is it..grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Ben! How you summer'n?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scenarshooter.....

Correct....NO RIFLE hunting in the state of Iowa!!! Bows only during rut.

Muzzleloader, shotgun slugs, handguns (with requirements), and bows are only allowed for deer (bucks).

A few years back Iowa started allowing an anterless season in Jan. and allowed rifles.... and us trophy hunters HATE IT!!!! I love shooting the rifles... but sooooo many BIG "does" (with bloody peticles) get shot from folks who dont take the time to confirm what they are shooting!!!! They just see a GREAT BIG antlerless deer!!! UGH! frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Definately not one that needs longarming or standing a few feet back behind is it..grin

Dober

Wish I those field pics to do over again....did'nt know any better back then!

[Linked Image]
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Real well! Had some flooding, but no damage(to us). The sweet clover is truck-door deep and I can't wait for Mule Deer season! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257wthbylover
Scenarshooter.....

Muzzleloader, shotgun slugs, handguns (with requirements), and bows are only allowed for deer (bucks).

A few years back Iowa started allowing an anterless season in Jan. and allowed rifles.... and us trophy hunters HATE IT!!!! I love shooting the rifles... but sooooo many BIG "does" (with bloody peticles) get shot from folks who dont take the time to confirm what they are shooting!!!! They just see a GREAT BIG antlerless deer!!! UGH! frown

That sux!! I dont think much of December doe seasons...

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtcurman
Real well! Had some flooding, but no damage(to us). The sweet clover is truck-door deep and I can't wait for Mule Deer season! grin

Ever make it up this way, stop and we'll visit.....probably mostly about coyotes.....grin!

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Wish I those field pics to do over again....did'nt know any better back then!

Pat, at least you have pics of back in the day!
I didn't realize they had invented cameras until I joined here 4 or 5 years ago....grin

Whitetails on the bottom sure are pushed around with all the water.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mtcurman

Ever make it up this way, stop and we'll visit.....probably mostly about coyotes.....grin!

That would be fun! Me and Dad wanted to make it to your shoot, but it rained and we couldn't get out.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Dober, trick question....grin

Is this whitetail or mule deer country?

[Linked Image] is that heaven?

180 degrees to the west.
[Linked Image]

10 clicks to the east.

[Linked Image]

the country looks familiar......cant quite place why whistle

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Two biggest whitetails I ever shot stopped to look back.

Yes. Whitetails stop to look back, too.....sometimes....the differences are that most whitetails are hunted in thicker country and if you spook them,sometimes they will behave this way,running for the first 75-150 yards or so...the difference is that in cover you can't see them do it...but if you track them,and depending on how badly they have been spooked,you will see where they stopped to check on their backtrail and what spooked them.....

OTOH, mule deer are found in somewhat more open country,and you can see this behaviour.

But it can vary a lot and the bigger mule deer know how to use terrain....I have seen big one's stop, but others just melt off and disappear altogether in country so devoid of cover you can't fathom where they went.....in any event you better not count on it with a big one and generally your first crack will be the only one.

With either one expect the unexpected.
that deserves to be said again. in west texas you find big muleys after the season in rut, or you have access to semi-tame deer on irrigated crops or you get a helicopter. they lay in the middle of nowhere in tall love grass under a little mesquite bush and move only at night.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'd love to do a backpack hunt in some foothills/mountains for Whitetail/Mule Deer. Does such a hunt exist?
you might look around 'paradise' montana. sacramento mountains of se nm have wt and muleys but the mt lions are so thick you can rarely find a decent muley. i archery hunted there a lot 35 yr ago till the coyote furs went down. i would see 20-40 muleys a day (no wt there then). for 30 years the biologists havent been able to turn the deer around with the no's of coyote and lion they raise. there are deer in town to escape predation but far all p. purpose there are a thousand sq miles of beautiful mts w/o huntable populations of deer. around rankin texas there has been mixed muleys and wt. and around mc camey tx. but drought has wrecked antlers. i could maybe put you on a pay to play ranch. trout creek, montana is good horn country for each and i got a 160 clas wt there too damned long ago. i heard some good abt 'bullseye outfitters' there. i'd like to go back and hunt there solo but the knees are trouble and it seems to snow the following week if you know what i mean. good fortune

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Probably not fair for me to chime in..... BUT, being from Iowa and having 5 Whitetails on the wall over 170", its MULEY ALL THE WAY!!!! In fact, I have a Trophy Desert muley booked for this winter! I have waited long enough and I agree....trying to find and shoot a nice/big muley is one hard deal these days. Whitetails....not so much. But than again, I live in whitetail heaven so I am a lil spoiled in that aspect.
dddaam, you want a muley how big/bad.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
OK.... i will post pics later today/this evening. I have 9 over 160", 5 of which go over 170". If you added the ones I did not shoot....but have "swamped hunts" adn guided fellas to....well.... add a couple more 170-180 bucks the last few yrs and about 8-9 more in the 160" arena. I will post some of those pics as well.

Some get there by mass--- some by points---some just have it all! None of them over OVERLY wide! I dont want to hi-jack this thread so i will start a new one with "deer hunting". All of them have been taken wiht a bow or a muzzleloader and all here in Iowa.

Oh---the net/gross question.... that is gross. I have NEVER entered one into the book, nor do i plan on it. If a deer grows it, he deserves credit for it IMO. wink
yyyoou ggguide?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
darn and shehit

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Scenarshooter.....

uh, i shoot a bow

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Bighorn - THANKS a lot. (G). NICE. Yep I'd trade a very good w t for that.
I've killed a few 135-140s. There aren't many w t as nice as that Mulie. Congrats.

I've seen a few w ts better than 140 but not in the right place at the right time.

Now I've STILL got 4 plus months of FEVER ! ! !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just so you whitetail guys dont feel left out....pics I took last summer...never went back and hunted any of these bucks. Had too many good mule deer bucks located......grin!
i could lower the wt population and leave more food for yer mule deer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

I think I've finally seen a mule deer that gave me a chubby. *grins*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,908
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.