-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's about what 4895 did for me 10 years ago. Rl 12 combined the speed and accuracy in my rifle, and Rl 15 does almost as well as 12 but not quite.
4320 should work really well,as by accounts I recieved from oldtimers, they liked it and the old Hivel 2.
I found my load years ago and see no reason to look further, I stocked up on rl 12 and have enough Glenrock Northfork bullets to last me a lifetime and then some of hunting.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How far was that nice elk when you whacked him and what bullet did you use?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prior to his posing for that picture he was out about 60 yds, when the 300 gr northfork ss backed by 57 grs rl12 sparked by a cci lr primer, wrecked his whole day and made me work the rest of the afternoon to get us back to the house.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
got 297 grs of that bullet back in one chunk from underneath the hide on the far side.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweet! thanks for the info. Man I love my 1895. Just might have to get me another!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Great stuff! Loving the pictures and the info you guys are sharing. I'm gonna hide some cash and find and buy me an 1895 this winter. This model is the only lever that I care for and like.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
I used CCI250 primers.
These loads were compressed with a 24" drop tube and loaded into a long straight walled case, so it seemed appropriate to use the "magnum" primer to help assure good ignition.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
You are correct, One 1895 is not enough!
My shooter and my looker:
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CR: Loaded some a couple of days ago and had no problems getting that powder into the case. Hell, I was loading 56.5 of RL15 and long TSX bullets with no issues. So I loaded some TSXs, NF soft and solids and some Woodleighs, all with your loads. I'll report back when I get to shoot them. Also, I found a near mint in the box 1895 Grade I for under a grand. It will be here Wednesday smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
Sounds like you hit the jackpot on your new rifle - Please publish pictures when you get it. My looker 1895 .405 is an unfired Deluxe and they sure are pretty.

Oh yes, also looking forward to see how the N133 works for you.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's supposed to arrive today via FEDEX. As far as the range goesm I won't be able to get out there until Sat or Sunday now that I'm back working for a living. frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,
When you publish photos of your new 1895, why not start another thread?

BTW, I just received and viewed the video of my bison hunt and will post it if I can isolate the final, running shot that swatted the bison down. Pretty cool stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roger that Cr. I should have them up this weekend. I just ordered a period correct Pad from Galazan's to replace the metal plate. I left the Safari Commemorative "as is" for obvious reasons and while recoil is not bad, that metal plate will hurt you of the bench when it pinches!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am eagerly awaiting results of burned said powder and ball!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Jorge,

For sure one 95 is not enough! Like you i'm planing some african trail tour but ain't enough money to copy Teddy. So will be buffalos only in Mozambique. I'm balancing between my 71 .50Alaskan already very successful in Australia of on a 405 mod95. May be the take down...I don't know.
Think you will be well armed. As you do i load with VN133 after some test with VN130. Bullets are 300grs Woodleigh, Hornady and Hawk.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Sorry! Posted in the wrong thread but it's also about 405...and 95;

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, looks like somebody likes lever actions! smile
Marseille, my Verney-Carron double should be here within the next three weeks or less. jorge

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hope you'll enjoy it. Yes i like and use lever action for hunting!
Even if majority of hunters speak and dream of long range shooting (hunting??) most of kills can be done with lever and a bit of stalking, just need to stay a bit fit, walk and try to keep weight down.
When well maintained and built "levers" are safe and reliable enough for most game, you can get powerful cartridges and good bullets for most of dangerous one, so why not use them...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like I have the 95 wire. Target on right are three 300gr TSXs and the one on the left are three 300gr North Fork solids. MV was very consistent 2260-2270 fps, but I did have to drop down the charge to 51gr for the TSX and 50.5 for the solid. Range: 65 yards

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 09/04/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinNow go forth and SLAY!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.