Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinJorge must be gittin' ready to take a trip to a REALLY high class whorehouse grin His Sharps NEEDS no embellishment, he has his 405 Win 1895 TR Safari commemoritve and now the double rifle grin Damn Sailors grin grin

You know, Jorge is starting to collect some very nice hardware. Makes you wonder if a rich Aunt died, or now that he is no longer on AD, he is feeding a long pent up gun lust. Either way, that's a good collection.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's called having to work AFTER retirement to support this addiction AND a high maintenance wife! smile

Brent: No pshychobabble, I just have a pathological dislike for that cartridge smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Brent: No pshychobabble, I just have a pathological dislike for that cartridge smile

Indeed you do. You should have that looked into sometime. I too was once an anti-45-70er too, but I got over it and now my life has never been better. It could happen to you too smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful rifle, Jorge. Where are you going to hunt with it?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I look at the 45/70 kinds like I look at the RP kooks. Dislike them most (not all) more than I do RP himself! smile

RAC: Planning on a 2X buff hunt in TZ in 2013.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I look at the 45/70 kinds like I look at the RP kooks. Dislike them most (not all) more than I do RP himself! smile

Well of course you do. And you can't even imagine all the fun that has cost ya smile

RAC: Planning on a 2X buff hunt in TZ in 2013.

Excellent. A perfect opportunity for a .45-70 rifle wink wink

Seriously, it is a nice rifle.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice rifle
Now a short wait and another wait for 2013!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful shootin iron there, Jorge. Thanks for sharing it as it comes along.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks all. Just recived another note the barrels are being blued. Also the receiver will be CCH and not coin finish. Going for that "Brit Look" without the big bucks! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of 'without the big bucks', do you mind sharing about what kind of dough is required to get your builder to do such a project? I want (needd, actually) to sell or trade off my custom 416 Rigby and go down in recoil to the 9.3x74 round. Want to buy or have built someday a SxS rifle - shotgun combo with a pair of 9.3x74 Barrels and a pair of 20GA barrels. on the same frame and stock. Would be, IMO, one of the more useful travelling to Africa for a combo hunt set ups. THANKS, Mark

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Mark: just go to the Verney-Carron website and email Ken and he can give you a good quote on what you want. I think starting prices for doubles are at around 10.5K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can do the coin finish of course, on your own after it has been cased. Takes minutes or an hour or two at most. Easier than falling off a log. It will really show off that nice engraving too. Be a shame not to highlight it.

Just did my target highwall this way (but it is a .45-70 of course), but I only took it half way to what one would consider a true "coin" finish - just to be different. Anyway, it's easy. smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Mark: just go to the Verney-Carron website and email Ken and he can give you a good quote on what you want. I think starting prices for doubles are at around 10.5K

Nice! "Starting price" at 10.5K...?

That one sure doesn't look "entry level"...!

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got to look (not fondle, of course) this old thing today at the Frazier History Museum in Louisville this afternoon. You might recognize it as "Big Stick", the H&H that TR took to Africa.................... Sorry about the quality of the pic, but photos weren't allowed anyway, so I was pushing my luck just snapping that one. 'Big Medicine' wasn't there, but they did have an 1895 in .30/40 to represent the breed.

Attached Images
frazierhistorymuseum 003.JPG (39 KB, 276 downloads)

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the photo's Jorge, Your gonna love that V/C, I've shot the hell outta mine and it's still bank vault tight and accurate.

Gunner

Trump Won!
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Brent: I looked at both finishes with that scroll engraving and the CCH really looked identical to an old style Brit double so that is what I went with. So you took off the CCH and refinished as coin?

My gun is not that far of an upgrade from the basic model guys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Just did my target highwall this way (but it is a .45-70 of course), but I only took it half way to what one would consider a true "coin" finish - just to be different. Anyway, it's easy."

What is a "Coin Finish," and how do you do it?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
JorgeI,
Thanks for the pictures, it's truely a thing of beauty. Can I ask why you are chambering it for 450 NE 3 1/4" vs they more popular and available 470 NE? Both are great cartridges, the 450 NE is the original, I'm just curious.
Stan

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Brent: I looked at both finishes with that scroll engraving and the CCH really looked identical to an old style Brit double so that is what I went with. So you took off the CCH and refinished as coin?

My gun is not that far of an upgrade from the basic model guys.

That is such a gorgeous gun, it's hard to think of it as anywhere near entry level. I like CCH, too. I guess as it ages and loses some case colors, it will eventually silver and look more like a coin finish. I like that look, too, and honest wear on a fine gun just adds character.

I know you're going to enjoy that one...

DF

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.