-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the birdsmouth you seek is commonly made on rafters.a rafter square will show you how to do it,mostly,if you know how to read one.
If I lived closer,I could figure it out for you.

But a 45 is way too much of an angle,I think 10 degrees would be plenty.

look here to start and here I use these tools alot to figure angles in my work.

Last edited by fluffy; 06/29/11.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the chuckle Alan... at first glance it hit me, hmmmm, outhouse on stilts.

grin

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
I've been in carpentry for too long...

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend a 45 degree angle for posts. If your stand is 10 feet high, a 45 degree angle would put your legs 10 feet from your inside corner. A 15 degree angle would be about right.

If I was building it I would put my posts plumb and run angled braces to stabilize it fwiw.

From one termite to another , that was my first thought

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, the 'inside corner' comment threw me.... If you want a 45 off the outside corner. cut your bottoms at the 15 degrees and the top at 85 degrees, with a 45 angle set on the bevel of yer saw(depth to meet in center of 4x4).........

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rusty25
Just buy some post hole diggers and set your legs straight 2' deep. More stable than any angle set on the ground.

Chuckling here.... it'll be hard enough to drive in a #5 rebar next to the legs. Drilling a hole would be impossible in the rock....

Got it all folks, I'll do a test cut this evening, may even back up to 10 degrees... if that fails what I want I'll just put em straight and see what happens.

A larger foot print would be much more stable, just like a windmill, but maybe thats not in the cards.

Just can't get it in my head if I make the birds mouth on 2 sides if I'll have what I am after or not.

Promise to take pics if its not a disaster....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Promise to take pics if its not a disaster....

Take pics if it is.

Some of us live to see disasters.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
maybe this will help. start by cutting your legs to lenght with a 15 degree angle cut from point to point(not on the flat side of the 4x4) to determine the bottom of your leg.the short side of the angle is the inside corner point of your leg. the top of your leg can be cut the same or square, your choice. a skill saw can make alot of the cuts needed but cannot complete the cuts because of the saw over run needed to get to the bottom out of your cut.(curve of the blade) you will need a jig, sabre saw. starting at the inside point of the top of leg, make a 15 degree cut, down from the top, the depth of your floor base plate.(i think you said it was 2x6)you want this cut to be 1/2 of the 4x4 deep.(theoretically 2 inches) from the 2 inch depth mark, draw a cut line(on the two inside flat sides) from the cut to the top of the leg @ 15 degrees also. the top will have less than 1/2 of your 4x4 left after cut.heres where the jig saw comes in to complete these cuts. in my minds eye this would work. best of luck

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by twrh111
maybe this will help. start by cutting your legs to lenght with a 15 degree angle cut from point to point(not on the flat side of the 4x4) to determine the bottom of your leg.the short side of the angle is the inside corner point of your leg. the top of your leg can be cut the same or square, your choice. a skill saw can make alot of the cuts needed but cannot complete the cuts because of the saw over run needed to get to the bottom out of your cut.(curve of the blade) you will need a jig, sabre saw. starting at the inside point of the top of leg, make a 15 degree cut, down from the top, the depth of your floor base plate.(i think you said it was 2x6)you want this cut to be 1/2 of the 4x4 deep.(theoretically 2 inches) from the 2 inch depth mark, draw a cut line(on the two inside flat sides) from the cut to the top of the leg @ 15 degrees also. the top will have less than 1/2 of your 4x4 left after cut.heres where the jig saw comes in to complete these cuts. in my minds eye this would work. best of luck

Thanks, thats about what I had in my minds eye. That eye can be blurry at times... grins..

Point to point. I already had a 15 degree angle cut on one, but flat to flat so that was wrong, but I took a drop measurment, ended up 4.5 inches for a 2x4 clearnance IE angle made basically an inch of difference, actually 7/8... hard to understand I know... then cut birdsmouth on that same 15 degree angle and depth of other cut to finish birdsmouth though is only determined by height of 4x4 into framework and angle of cut, IE depth is appx a little over an inch which should be fine.

I'll note your notes.... and do a test cut on one tonight. Have a recip saw with wood blade handy... of course I have a good handsaw too that I use most of the time..

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
twrh111

You hit the nail on the head, it was what I had drawn up already, but it worked.

I'll try to get pics up... the first was a nightmare just hoping my thinking was right.. the next 3 were better, not easy, but better.

Well enough to do what I needed done.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,768
Posts18,515,526
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.