Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I want a 1A in .348 Winchester. One of my favorite chamberings...

One shot, one kill........
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
3 choices, 358 Win, 356 Win and the 348 Win.

Maybe make it 4 choices and add the 307 Win.

Ken

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Ruger should market the AH on a permanent basis; limit it to a few of most marketable chamberings, and have a limited edition special every year. That would be neat!! grin

I like the idea of a AH model (clean barrel), something in a 22-23" barrel. I've found I've been mostly going down in power instead of up, so for me something smaller than a 280. I find the 1A with the shorter barrel is a handy thing, it's a matter of getting the balance correct (barrel profile) without the sights. Something in a HV 22CF would be interesting. Maybe a 6mm.

Last edited by AJD; 07/02/11.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
S
S
How about a 1S in .358 Norma . Or I agree with what someone mentioned earlier an RSI in .358 Win. A 1S with 24 inch barrel in .375 HH , Tropical is overkill for caliber . And lastly a Tropical in .505 Gibbs with as much metal shaved from barrel diameter as possible .

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by firearms44
3 choices, 358 Win, 356 Win and the 348 Win.

Maybe make it 4 choices and add the 307 Win.

Ken

WHAT? Does the 35 Rem. have cooties or something? OH, it doesn't end with Win....

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
35 Remington would be a good one. I have a friend that shoots the 35 rem. in a Remington 700 handgun.I forget the model,but it's very accurate.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
35 Rem is way thumpy for the little cred it gets. I think it's a perfect match for the lever action, but the possibility of higher velocities from a longer barrel and using pointed bullets would certainly open up the potential of the cartridge.

I've always used the Speer 180gr pointed flat point in my Marlin 336 with such good results that I haven't found a need or desire to experiment with other loads, but a pointed bullet would at least offer a little flatter trajectory.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I would like a 257 Weatherby Magnum also!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a sales flyer from Davidsons about a week or so
ago and they have a limited number of 35 Whelans and
30-30s in Ruger #1 still available.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
#1 AH in .257 Wby. But then again, I think Ruger should replace the 1B with the 1 AH in all the popular chamberings...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How about a 1A in 7mmBR.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anything in a K1RSI would be good, could be a new Lipsey's exclusive series.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
1-A in .357max, 1-AH in .221FB & .280, 1-AB in .222.....

would also like to see some K1RSI's in 250/3000, 7x57, .308, .358

1-S in .444...i could really dig that one.

============================================================

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alabama Ed,

I have one.

1B

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about something weird, not offered by the factory -- like a .30-06 1B in wood and blue?

1B

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Patrick,

I know you mean well, and I can certainly agree with some of your sentiment... But, meaning no disrespect, I rather hate to see these kind of threads. Mostly because they are rarely logical, and really serve no purpose...(Other than, perhaps, allow someone to post his fantasies...) And, as we all know, Ruger is in the business of manufacturing fireams for the express purpose of PROFIT, not just for fulfilling some shooter's fantasies!

I"m actually surprised that no one suggested some of the really obscure cartridges, like the .351 WSL, .401 WSL, .35 Win, or .38-72... etc... (There is a reason these obscure cartridges died!)

Let me 1st state; that to we must operate on the premise that Ruger will build a rifle using one of their existing barrel contours. (They have five, I believe...) To even suggest that they build a rifle on another contour is just not manufacturingly feasible, but unrealistic, as well. Also, to expect an unorthodox barrel length is unrealistic, as well. Having said that, then we can expect Ruger to build any of the above suggestions in either 20" (RSI contour); 22" (A and AB contour) 24" (AH contour) or 26" (1-B & 1-S Contour)

Note A: I am assuming we are talking sporting rifles, here, not Varmint or heavy Tropical rifles....

Note B: In the case of the 24" AH contour; one should consider that there is a generally accepted specification for muzzle diameter. The groove diameter of the caliber, plus .300" of and inch for safety reasons... (That's .150" per side, folks...)

Now in the case of the 24" AH in .25-06, mine measures just over .560" at the muzzle, (Actually about .562") Now I will admit that I have seen rifles with as little as .125" per side, (such is the case of my Browning BLR in .358 Win) But its logical to assume that given Ruger's corporate penchant for overbuilding everything (I assume for strength) that it's unrealistic to even suggest that they go less than the accepted .300" standard.

Then do the math...: .562" minus .300" leaves .262" for groove diameter. So even if we stretch it to .264", then that is about the maximum groove diameter we can expect them to make. (Realistically 6.5 Caliber in a 24" AH)

Now I will address the suggestions individually:

.300 Savage: This would seem to be a viable suggestion. Logically tho', What can it do that the .308 cannot? It would, however work in the 1-A or AB platform with 22" bbl. (The .308 Win is currently cataloged in the 1-A) Thumbs up!

.257 Wby: This chambering would be viable in the AH platform w/24" bbl or the 1-B or 1-S platform with 26" bbl. (The lighter profile would be handier, but one would likely suffer horrendous muzzle blast... smile ) I never understood why when they made other Wby proprietary cartridges, they overlooked the .257. I've always thought the .270 Wby was the most practical of the Wby Chamberings, but I have to believe that the .257 WBY is likely the most popular. Thumbs up!

.22 LR: I'm not even going to address this one. It has been beat to death in the past. frown

.22 Sav H.P. or as the Europeans know it: 5.6x56R. I can't see this one either, 1stly because of the odd barrel groove dimensions (.228") and 2ndly for the fact that Norma is the only manufacturer of factory ammo. Grice has it listed at $56.59/ box. Too pricey for anyone to realisticly use...

.280 Rem: This would seem to work OK in the 1-A platform, 1-AH platform, likely not... (See note B)

7mm-08 Rem same comments as the .280 Rem...

7x30 Waters: Again, it would seem viable in the 1-A platform, and again, not likely in the 1-AH... (It would make a cute little rifle tho'... smile )

.348 Win This would seem a natural, but the down side is lack of factory ammo. Yes they make it, but try to find some... And it's expensive! I think the last I saw on the shelf, was $65.00/box This is a cartridge that really should not have died, but it seems to have. Recent attempts to revive it seem to have failed. (Sadly) frown

.358 Win and .356 Win. These would work in a 1-S platform w/24" bbl.) Note that the largest bore Ruger has EVER used in the "B"/"S" contour is the .338. (See note B)
Also, factory ammuntion is not very abundent in either...

I have a #3 so chambered (Rebored .22 Horn) so I know it will work w/22" bbl. (The #3 had the same bbl contour as the 1-B, Medium Sporter!)

.358 Norma: This would seem feasible with the possible limitation of muzzle diameter. It might only work w/24" bbl... The only down side I can think of, is the lack of availble factory ammo. I believe Norma is the only manufacturer, and to say that it is scarce, is an understatement!

.35 Rem: Neat idea! If they can make a 1-A in .35 Whelen, I don't see why they can't make a .35 Rem... The only detraction that I can think of is that the only successful rifles ever built in .35 Rem were pumps and levers... (Yes, years ago they made the Rem 81 semi-auto in .35... ) All the bolt guns ever made in .35 Rem were merely special runs or limited runs... sadly... frown So I doubt a sgl-shot would likely fare any better...

7mm BR: This chambering has never been popular in any rifle... (I believe Remington did make a limited run of M-Sevens so chambered, but I've never seen one...) And again, the lack of factory ammo. At one time Remington did make it with 140 gr. Core-lokt bullet... (I'd have thought that the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip would have made more sense.) AFAIK, it has been discontinued... So without, factory ammo, I would doubt that Ruger would even consider it...

Disclaimer: So there you have it folks. The above comments are precipated entirely by logic and practicality. You are free to agree or disagree as you wish. smile

Every year I hold my breath, hoping that Ruger will come out with something new in the #1 platform.... Most years, I'm disappointed...

ADDENDUM:

.444 Marlin: I could never understand why Ruger didn't make this one in the factory 1-S. It would seem a natural. Especially so if twisted 1~20" instead of the 1~38" that Marlin uses... With the faster twist, one could shoot 240/265/300 gr bullets for whatever application one might need. A heavily loaded hard cast of 300 grs. would be a great Elk or Moose round, and would likely even be adequate for the big bears. A huge "Thumbs UP" for this one! smile

Last edited by Grasshopper; 07/05/11. Reason: Addendum

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
ADDENDUM:

.444 Marlin: I could never understand why Ruger didn't make this one in the factory 1-S. It would seem a natural. Especially so if twisted 1~20" instead of the 1~38" that Marlin uses... With the faster twist, one could shoot 240/265/300 gr bullets for whatever application one might need. A heavily loaded hard cast of 300 grs. would be a great Elk or Moose round, and would likely even be adequate for the big bears. A huge "Thumbs UP" for this one!
-----------------------------------------------------
Grasshopper,
I bet Ruger would screw it up and bring it out with the same barrel contour that they use on their .458 Win. crazy
LOL laugh

I see that you like to fantasize as to what you would like see Ruger bring out like the rest of us..
We are like herding a bunch of cats eh?
It is easy enough to see what you are up to.. whistle

Last edited by Nrut; 07/05/11.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Nrut
I see that you like to fantasize as to what you would like see Ruger bring out like the rest of us..
We are like herding a bunch of cats eh?
It is easy enough to see what you are up to.. whistle

Gee... And I thought no one could see thru me... grin

I suppose we all think we just might have a better idea... The difference between me and most, is that when I want it, if I can't get it.... I make it!

Such is the case of my 1-B in 9.3x62, my 1-A in .338 Fed; my #3 in .356 Win, my tapered Octagon #1 in 9.3x74R; my #1-AH in 8x57 Mauser, and my soon to be completed 1-A in 6.5x54 MS. Oops! I forgot my 1-B in 6.5x64 Brenneke. smile

It's nice to dream, but I make mine happen... grin

GH

P.S: For a fact, I only have about a half dozen #1s that are stock... blush Most have been modified to suit my whims...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Well Grasshopper at least we can agree that the Ruger action makes a fine platform to build off of..
I only have have one Ruger build in mind and that would be a lighter .40 cal. most likely on a restocked #3..
It will be over a year before I get to that project as I have a M70 at the gunsmith now that is to be re-barreled to a .35 Whelen..
After that a beater Brno 21 will be re-barreled in 7X57 with a shorter throat and modified bolt handle..

Last edited by Nrut; 07/05/11.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my #1-AH in 8x57 Mauser

Given your reason to dismiss an AH in 280 Rem, how did you come up with this one? grin Not the standard AH contour with a muzzle diameter of .560? .1185 does seem a little thin.

Last edited by 257Deland; 07/06/11.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.