Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 163bc
I use a torque wrench and use torque specs supplied by Tally.

I don't have those specs handy. Please tell me what they are.

Thanks!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Don't lap Talley rings, substitute Burris Signature rings for them. I wouldn't own another set of anything Talley. Sorry, they are a poor performing product that leaves a scope tube scratched and deformed, and they are almost impossible to keep tight. My friend and I have a Talley laugh fest when we see some rube with them on a rifle. Rule of thumb is to never use a vertically split ring, or a one piece ring and base.

This entire post is ludicrous.
LMAO

I haven't used anything but Tally in years, with the exception of sume super tall Warne on an AR. No comparison at all.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Someone will corret me if I'm wrong, but I believe the rings are 15-20 inch pounds, and the bases are 25-30 inch pounds!

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Someone will corret me if I'm wrong, but I believe the rings are 15-20 inch pounds, and the bases are 25-30 inch pounds!

I'm in that range -- did the bases to 30 and rings to 20. Believe I got that from info that came with my FAT wrench.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't lap Talley rings, substitute Burris Signature rings for them. I wouldn't own another set of anything Talley. Sorry, they are a poor performing product that leaves a scope tube scratched and deformed, and they are almost impossible to keep tight. My friend and I have a Talley laugh fest when we see some rube with them on a rifle. Rule of thumb is to never use a vertically split ring, or a one piece ring and base.

Lots give advice when they should be asking for it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LMAO

Oh, I don't know about that. I agree with the first four words. I've got Talley aluminum lightweights on a half dozen of my rifles, and I've only lapped one pair, which was really unecessary. The rest I've checked with the Wheeler Engineering kit and the alignment has been fine with no need to lap. The rifles are Kimbers and M70s, by the way. Anyway, the only scope marks I have from any of my Talleys are the ones on the scope with the lapped rings. So I agree, "don't lap your Talleys." LMAO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

LMAO

Oh, I don't know about that. I agree with the first four words. I've got Talley aluminum lightweights on a half dozen of my rifles, and I've only lapped one pair, which was really unecessary. The rest I've checked with the Wheeler Engineering kit and the alignment has been fine with no need to lap. The rifles are Kimbers and M70s, by the way. Anyway, the only scope marks I have from any of my Talleys are the ones on the scope with the lapped rings. So I agree, "don't lap your Talleys." LMAO.

Good catch!

The first four words ARE correct.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl

Thanks!

For the lightweight setups 20-25 in-lb for the base, 17 in-lb for the rings.

Steel: bases 20-25 in-lb; Fixed rings, bottom screw 35 in-lb top screw 17-24 in-lb. Detachable rings: large bottom screw 35 in-lb, small bottom screws 30 in-lb, top screws 17-24 in-lb.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 163bc
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl

Thanks!

For the lightweight setups 20-25 in-lb for the base, 17 in-lb for the rings.

Steel: bases 20-25 in-lb; Fixed rings, bottom screw 35 in-lb top screw 17-24 in-lb. Detachable rings: large bottom screw 35 in-lb, small bottom screws 30 in-lb, top screws 17-24 in-lb.

Many thanks! I'm using steel. Looks like I overdid it a bit by tightening the bases to 30. I'll make a note of these specs.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
My Talley lightweights had a high spot on the rear ring toward the fore end of the rifle. After lapping, it was corrected. Maybe I should have traded them for another set of rings..

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks guys! All the info is much appreciated!
Erich

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Guild smith started measuring surface contact on out of the box bases, rings, and ringmounts, including Talleys, on factory receivers; none were ever found to give a proper percentage of surface contact with many giving under 50%. To my knowledge it is near impossible to take a new production rifle, a new set of Talley mounts, and a new scope, and mount them together to end up with the proper aligned 80% surface contact. This is impossible due to tolerance stacking. My hunting partner is one of the Guild smiths and is one of the top machinists in the Nation. He does likes Talleys and I use them as a result. In his shop, I've personally never seen an out of the box combination on a factory rifle result in better than 60% surface contact, and every one of those sets needed to be reworked for proper alignment. Even when the receiver was re-machined to correct QC alignment issues with the factory rifle, the rings still needed work to reach 80%.

Not saying you guys are making stuff up, but based on what I've seen measured in a Guild shop, I'm not seeing it, and this is probably the reason so many are tweaking light scope tubes as their rings are not truly in alignment as the believe. If this is the case where the scopes are mounted askew, make sure you stay under the max recommended screw torque. You may even consider an old trick where you add a piece of electrical tape to act as a grip and buffer to hold with light torque.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by GaryVA
A Guild smith started measuring surface contact on out of the box bases, rings, and ringmounts, including Talleys, on factory receivers; none were ever found to give a proper percentage of surface contact with many giving under 50%. To my knowledge it is near impossible to take a new production rifle, a new set of Talley mounts, and a new scope, and mount them together to end up with the proper aligned 80% surface contact. This is impossible due to tolerance stacking. My hunting partner is one of the Guild smiths and is one of the top machinists in the Nation. He does likes Talleys and I use them as a result. In his shop, I've personally never seen an out of the box combination on a factory rifle result in better than 60% surface contact, and every one of those sets needed to be reworked for proper alignment. Even when the receiver was re-machined to correct QC alignment issues with the factory rifle, the rings still needed work to reach 80%.

Not saying you guys are making stuff up, but based on what I've seen measured in a Guild shop, I'm not seeing it, and this is probably the reason so many are tweaking light scope tubes as their rings are not truly in alignment as the believe. If this is the case where the scopes are mounted askew, make sure you stay under the max recommended screw torque. You may even consider an old trick where you add a piece of electrical tape to act as a grip and buffer to hold with light torque.

Best smile

Did he say it was more about reciever dimensions that was causing misalignment, because one would think that the Talleys being machined on cnc machinery that they would be extemely true!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never lapped a ring in my life. Never had a problem either.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
But swampy not everyone lives a charmed life like you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, not only can there be tolerance stacking with the receiver mounting holes to the axis of the barrel, their can be tolerance stacking between the fit of the ring base to receiver top. The tolerances can stack up quickly to bind the mounting.

As a recent example, he took one of my out of the box new rifles and found that the factory scope mount holes were not in perfect alignment. He also took a brand new set of Talley LW ringmounts and found that they were not in perfect alignment. The two combined with a brand new out of the box gold rind LEU and only had approx 10% aligned surface contact period. Without any lapping, the cobination would bind badly. In this case, the mount holes were made straight, the ringmounts were made to perfectly fit the rifle, and the rings were lapped for a correctly aligned surface contact of the scope tube. When everything was mounted and torqued to spec, everything worked exactly as spec. Had I not at least lapped the combination, I would have stressed the scope tube and may have damaged it enought to cause a stiff power ring and poor tracking.

YMMV, but I've never seen a box stock production combination result in better than 60% alignment of the surface contact area. The worst combination I ever experienced was the most recent above, and that was using Talleys on a factory rifle.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/01/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Very interesting..thanks!

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
GaryVa...makes a ton of sense to me. Thanks for sharing!

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rifles and rings are apparently made using hatchets, hand drills and cutting torches because modern CNC equipment can easily hold tolerances of .0001" and better.
It's a piece of cake to align 4 holes within .001" of a datum line.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No, don't bother lapping Talleys...they are perfect. whistle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.