Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes Marty. Steve Harrison of Harrison Hunting and Taxidermy in Liberty Indiana. He is the best there is in my opinion.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is an awesome mount!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Absolutely beautiful..don't think I've ever seen any mount more life like!!

I am really glad you guys enjoy it.
I try to be a nice guy on these forums & really hope you don't take this the wrong way, but when terms like "the most lifelike mount I've ever seen" and "FREAKING AWESOME" and "incredible" come up, I sort of have to pipe in.

I guess I am just too gawddamn fussy.
I've been spoiled by some of the best taxidermists in the world.
Cat mounts are the most commonly ruined of all mounts, most taxidermists never master the techniques necessary to put one together properly even after a lifetime in the taxidermy business.

While the above cat is acceptable to many, it falls a bit short to be using some of the expletives used to describe it in this thread "IN MY OPINION" and that opinion might best be kept to myself I understand.
Don't mean to be a d*ck, just my two bits.
Sorry.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I love that mount. Hunt of a lifetime, as far as I'm concerned. A cat with a bow.....WOW!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with Salmonella - He didn't add enough clay to the face. instead mounting directly on the form like one would a deer, building only the eyes. The surprised expression that it wears is due to too little clay in the upper eye area and the narrow look to its face a result of too little clay in the cheek and under jaw region. I would have also added to the top of its head to give it some breadth there as well. Nice habitat work, but not a cat man.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I don't disagree with you, the most important detail is probably how well the mount replicates what the hunter remembers of the animal and the hunt.

To keep things in perspective, here's a cat which isn't awesome, great, good, or even almost good:

[Linked Image]

Quite frankly, it doesn't do anything for me, as it doesn't recreate the memories I have - and it still sits in the crate it was shipped in. OTOH, this lion seems to recreate realistic memories for its owner so that's reason enough to celebrate with him.

(BTW, I think you meant superlatives rather than expletives.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cats in general seem to be the toughest common animals to really make look lifelike from what I have seen. And it's usually the eyes that make or break the job.

Glad you had a great and memorable hunt and congrats on the success.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Absolutely beautiful..don't think I've ever seen any mount more life like!!

I am really glad you guys enjoy it.
I try to be a nice guy on these forums & really hope you don't take this the wrong way, but when terms like "the most lifelike mount I've ever seen" and "FREAKING AWESOME" and "incredible" come up, I sort of have to pipe in.

I guess I am just too gawddamn fussy.
I've been spoiled by some of the best taxidermists in the world.
Cat mounts are the most commonly ruined of all mounts, most taxidermists never master the techniques necessary to put one together properly even after a lifetime in the taxidermy business.

While the above cat is acceptable to many, it falls a bit short to be using some of the expletives used to describe it in this thread "IN MY OPINION" and that opinion might best be kept to myself I understand.
Don't mean to be a d*ck, just my two bits.
Sorry.

I wasn't going there, but I totally agree. Doesn't take anything away from it though, the owner is happy and thats all that matters. We can get too picky at times, and if end owner is tickled thats all that matters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ranger1
I agree with Salmonella - He didn't add enough clay to the face. instead mounting directly on the form like one would a deer, building only the eyes. The surprised expression that it wears is due to too little clay in the upper eye area and the narrow look to its face a result of too little clay in the cheek and under jaw region. I would have also added to the top of its head to give it some breadth there as well. Nice habitat work, but not a cat man.

Good analysis.
Until you have witnessed supreme grade taxidermy you can't really put things into proper perspective.

Compare...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.philipsoucy.com/gallery/photos/230Cougar1124.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.philipsoucy.com/images/awards1lg.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/774/2011mtaconvention106.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6994/nvlyv6.jpg[/img]

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Phil Soucy can't do every lion mount on the planet, and it isn't fair to compare the rest to his.

Congrats on the lion, glad you're happy with the mount.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
especially if its not given to him to do... but I digress.... i have a special duck... and I do taxidermy myself, been on a list now for 2 yeras.... waiting for a top line artist to do the work. Well worth it to me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the mostly positive comments. I didnt start this thread to find out who is the best at cats. I started it because I am extreamly happy with the job my taxidermist did. I indeed looked at Phils work, matter of fact I got my base idea off his websight. I have only seen one live cat and it happens to be the one I killed. My cat did NOT have the big pumpkin like head that phil makes his cats look like. My cat was a Tom but not a huge tom. I have many pictures and even was lucky enough to get the hunt on film and after looking at the pictures and watching the video numerous times I dont think ANYBODY could have done a better job, not even Phil Soucy. I realize people have opinions and everybody is entitled to them, but in the end im the only one that has to be happy and I am beyond happy.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not sure why everyone thinks Soucy is the only one that can mount a nice cat. Lots of good cat taxis out there. I can name six guys off the top of my head...Roger Sambueso, Greg Brumfield, Doug Barnes, Bill Lancaster, Aaron Connelly, Ashley Barrett...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Not sure why everyone thinks Soucy is the only one that can mount a nice cat. Lots of good cat taxis out there. I can name six guys off the top of my head...Roger Sambueso, Greg Brumfield, Doug Barnes, Bill Lancaster, Aaron Connelly, Ashley Barrett...

I am an expert in mounting cougars! Been doing it for years

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm glad the OP loves his cat and thats all that matters.

[Linked Image]

I dont care who did this cat, it leaves me speechless

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

True DC.
I like Connely's cats and Barrett's too.
You can add Jim Brandenburg and Dean Schulte to that list as well.
Jim did a lifesize 7 1/2 foot black bear for me a number of years back, he is an incredibly skilled taxidermist.

I am just more familiar with Phil.
He's been my predator taxi for quite a few years and you simply cannot argue with his reputation.

Sorry to be so negative as it really ain't my style.
Congrats on your cat Joe Blitz.
No one can steal those memories from you.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

That is a classic I'm sure!! LMAO laugh

Last edited by XPNut; 07/05/11.

"One good Shot Is All I Need"
D
D
Amazing!Really new for eyes.
It is not so easy for all cats.That's great.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 57 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,150
Posts18,502,825
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.