Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
does any one use Sitka for extreme cold? I am not hunting as cold as most so I am just curious. Thanks

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
would be interested in Sitka for EXTREME COLD also..ant thoughts

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear duofold long johns,with a pair of wool bibs,smartwool socks(2 pair),insulated sweatshirt,with a heavy winter pullover jacket,with army surplus cold weather mittens,and also a wool filson duck hat.Then if its wet or windy,I have a goretex rain parka to wear under my light cotton orange sweatshirt.Oh,and I have Banff pac boots that are 2 sizes too big,so they arent tight with 2 pair of wool socks.My feet used to still get cold till I went to the wool socks and skipped the cotton.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Cotton socks? I would encourage you to try some of the new merino wool base layer socks. Cotton does not wick, but absorbs, and with any sweat, your feet will become cold quickly. I avoid cotton like the plague when I am going to be in even moderately cold temperatures. I believe the saying is "Cotton kills" and for good reason.

Agree BM...No cotton! I use a combination of wool and synthetics.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
duofold long jons, wool socks, two pair usually, a light flannel shirt then my beagle wear wool tracking jacket and pants. sometimes a johnson jacket if its a tick cooler w/ a wool sweater under that. stormy cromer wool hat and uninsulated lacross boots

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga
duofold long jons, wool socks, two pair usually, a light flannel shirt then my beagle wear wool tracking jacket and pants. sometimes a johnson jacket if its a tick cooler w/ a wool sweater under that. stormy cromer wool hat and uninsulated lacross boots

If you'd keep yer damn jonhson inside the long johns and insulated bibs he wouldn't need his own damn jacket.

Prolly one of them people has to fiddle with something the whole time he's out in the stand and never sees any deer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
cry that almost made me piss myself laughin lol funny you say that thoigh, seems like i always see deer when i stop to tack a leak

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
On stand,

Regular cold...down to 10* or so, I wear a pair of wool johnnies under a pair of pants. Usually a plain t-shirt, with a long sleeve t-shirt over that and a colombia med wt. wool jacktet, and a blaze Kromer.

10* and under, wool long johns, wool bibs, a couple shirts, and a heavy wt. Bermiji woolen Mills jacket, wool socks, and Lacrosse Iceman boots.

Still hunting, I'm always over dressed.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can't believe yall are talking cold weather when it's 106* in Texas today.Makes me feel a liitle cooler though! powdr

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You Texas boys don't have to worry that much about it, but believe it or not, we'll get our first frost up here in a little over a month. Maybe sooner.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Lot's of good ideas. Above all else, I try to stay dry. Once you get wet either by the weather or by sweating, it's tough to stay warm.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.