-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm outta the loop too. I have two 5 gal plastic jugs and a 1 gal for 2-stroke mix so I'm set.

I'm going to take very good care of them. grin

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I guess I should design, produce and sell replacement spouts for all these tricky spring loaded lawyer spouts out there. I can sell them as, paper weights or what ever. What you guys do with them is your business. grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
I must be outta the loop on this one.. Is this a recent development or something? I haven't even bothered to notice gas cans at any of the stores.. Is this a federal thing or just a state issue?

It's a new federal regulation. Gas cans have to be spill proof. They all have a sort of gismo that lets air in through the spout but none of them work as designed. It takes forever to empty a 5 gal can as the gas trickles out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup federal, no more vents on the back of the can so that it actually will let gas out. Of course the purpose was to reduce gas vapors which it really does well at when you suddenly spill 1/3 of the can now when you try to fill up.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One way to get gas or whatever out of these @#$%^& cans is to use one of the bulb/siphon thingies that you use to fill kerosene heaters. To fill a mower, just set the can on a block or stool that is higher than the mower tank, and let the siphon do the work for you.
To pour gas in a vehicle or tractor, use one of the long funnels from the auto parts store that they sell to fill transmissions, and pour directly from the can. Just trash the spout, but be sure to save the inner cap and seal, if it has one.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You are making something easy, hard. Just poke a hole in new type can opposite the spout with something like an ice pick for a vent. Then screw in the appropriate size sheet metal screw. When you take the screw out these new cans pour very well just like the old ones. The sheet metal screw seals them perfectly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By jove, Craftsman, I beleive you have it. Package a drill bit with a sheetmetal thumb screw and retire wealthy. Sounds good to me.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My gas jerries are all pink.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Becarefull buying the German Army surplus ones...They are great when in good condition, as they age they have some sort of internal coating that flakes off and can clog up filters and carbs and such...

We have aweful plastic 1 gallon "cans"...When you screw the spout on, the threads and cap are so bad you just can't tighten it to get a good seal hence it always leaks when you pour..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
Becarefull buying the German Army surplus ones...They are great when in good condition, as they age they have some sort of internal coating that flakes off and can clog up filters and carbs and such...

We have aweful plastic 1 gallon "cans"...When you screw the spout on, the threads and cap are so bad you just can't tighten it to get a good seal hence it always leaks when you pour..

I had 2 heavy steel Jerry cans that I threw away for just that reason. The paint inside just kept flaking off, then the bare metal started rusting when they were empty.
I don't miss them much. To get the caps tight enough to not leak took a few whacks with a hammer. Then you needed to hit them again to get them off.

― George Orwell

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
What was wrong with the old set-up of long, reversible spout on the screw cap, air vent w/cap at the other side?

Now, with all the lawyerisms and "safety" systems its next to impossible to something as simple as put gas in a car. And the lack of an air vent at the other top corner slows fuel delivery considerably.

Its so bad we ended up pouring gas from newfangled containers into an old-style one that we have just to put gas in our cars.

Birdwatcher

AMEN FROM THE CORNER!!!! Everytime I look at one of these things I want to slap a lawyer.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Craftsman
You are making something easy, hard. Just poke a hole in new type can opposite the spout with something like an ice pick for a vent. Then screw in the appropriate size sheet metal screw. When you take the screw out these new cans pour very well just like the old ones. The sheet metal screw seals them perfectly.
If you use it a lot, the screw will start getting loose. In that case, just epoxy a nut over the hole and use a common thumbscrew.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Redneck
I must be outta the loop on this one.. Is this a recent development or something? I haven't even bothered to notice gas cans at any of the stores.. Is this a federal thing or just a state issue?

It's a new federal regulation. Gas cans have to be spill proof. They all have a sort of gismo that lets air in through the spout but none of them work as designed. It takes forever to empty a 5 gal can as the gas trickles out.

Originally Posted by NathanL
Yup federal, no more vents on the back of the can so that it actually will let gas out. Of course the purpose was to reduce gas vapors which it really does well at when you suddenly spill 1/3 of the can now when you try to fill up.
Y'all gotta be kidding me.. Never heard so much as a sniff of this law..

But from what I've read above, it appears the NANNY-AZZED gov't is again completely screwing something up (as usual).. Good thing I've got a few old cans.. I better be takin' a whole lot better care of 'em so they'll last me forever..

So, what about those portable 6-gal tanks for use with outboard motors? The ones that have the vent on 'em? So, the new cans have no vents?? How does the engine not starve for fuel?

Anyway, I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow and see what they have on the shelf.. If they're all the new, NANNY-AZZED gov't cans I'll be awful happy I don't have to buy one..

NANNY-AZZED GOV'T SUCKS!!!!! mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Permeation...it's what the new catch phrase is at work with gas tanks.
I work for an injection mold company that supplies a major lawn mower company its gas tanks for their small engines.
There is a drop dead date for all of the tanks to not "Permeate" or vaporize "through" the tank itself. We are also changing the screw type lids on the tanks to a 1/4 twist with no vent.
All thanks to that far from Missouri westerly state and let�s not forget our US elected chosen ones.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugeman, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,731 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,741
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.