Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anybody have one? If so, how do you like it? Anything to look for when buying one used? I handled one for the first time earlier this week and really liked its balance and feel.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've have at least 1 around for the past 40+ years, but have 2 currently, as somebody here on 24-HCF twisted my arm until I bought his spare Nylon 66 and made it my spare Nylon 66. Go figure.

Not a particularly accurate rifle, as the "receiver" is just a metal cover over the nylon stock/receiver/forearm and it isn't 100% rigid, so a scope mounted via the "receiver cover" grooves tends to wander. They shoot OK with the factory equiped open sights. The trigger pull tends to be heavy, but it isn't a target rifle.

For casual plinking with open sights, the Nylon 66 is a fun little rifle, but if given a choice, make mine a Ruger 10/22 that has been messaged a little any day of the week.

JEff

PS - the Nylon 66 have a tubular magazine in the stock that generally feeds any brand of good/clean 22 LR ammo that you drop down the tube. The clip fed Nylon 10-C and 77 often don't feed quite as well.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks Jeff, I'd want one for an open sighted plinker and their light weight would make them easy to carry all day when out and about. Think I might pick one up...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Anybody have one? If so, how do you like it? Anything to look for when buying one used? I handled one for the first time earlier this week and really liked its balance and feel.

They have the chrome plated/black stocked one at Don's guns in Hood River if you want to drive 60 miles to your east.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Use one on gophers when we "roll in hot.." laugh

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned more than a dozen of these since the early 70's and still have Mohawk Brown. I love these rifles with open sights but never cared for a scope because they just won't stay zeroed with the scope mounted on the metal action cover. Here is the one i own now.
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Use one on gophers when we "roll in hot.." laugh

[Linked Image]

Luv that pic! I had a 66 years ago but it had some feeding challenges. Are they known to have issues with feeding?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...see it alot with promo ammo...step up to CCI mini-mag HPs and they run like a clock...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have one -- was my first rifle, and it has digested thousands of rounds, both HV and SV, without a hiccup. I have a Williams receiver sight on it--one that clamps in the scope mount grooves. Great plinker--turtles, squirrels, etc.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only feeding problem that I ever had with a tube-feed Nylon 66 was with some Junior brand Russian ammo in a light/pale green-blue box about 20 years ago, boy does typing that make me feel old! I've never had a hiccup shooting Fed/Rem/Win bulk ammo, starting back with the Rem red/white/green box stuff in the late 1960s.

JEff

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several Rem nylon 66's, some 10-C's, and 77's. I have a bolt and a lever, too. The tube-thru-the-stock mod 66 is the best nylon. I have never seen one miss a shell. I feel that they as accurate and more reliable than a 10/22 Ruger, and I have a Ruger, also.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You know my buddy and I were out shooting 22's the other day shooting my old remington tube fed bolt and nylon 66 and we commented on here Remington had two just terrific 22 rifles and just quit production of them and now have basically nothing for a 22 rifle unless you by a 541-s for hundreds of dollars. I mean my little bolt is about 1 piece and a bolt. It couldn't have been very expensive to make what were they thinking. It's the same with savage winchester and the others. Not even a simple single shot with a pull cocking knob on the bolt between the lot of them.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I like my 10-22 with the synthetic camoflaged stock for a light weight plinker. It shoots 11 shot 3" groups (and smaller sometimes) at 100 yards with the Aguila SSS 60 gr sub-sonic ammo. For hunting and targets, I have a little Anshutz bolt gun that'll take the eye out of a sparrow at 50 yards.
Back on topic...I had a 66 many years ago, but it was not very accurate or dependable, and I was just a kid and din't know how to massage it, so I traded it off.

Last edited by LongRanger280; 06/11/11.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
They are pretty much a classic. I agree about the comments about not being super accurate and a mounted scope will have a wandering zero. However for a fun to carry, light, handy iron sighted .22 they are excellent. I am on my second one having traded off my original which I regretted. I carry and use mine nearly every day on my place. Last winter I killed a coyote with it because the Nylon 66 was what I had at the time. The coyote thought it worked. PH
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine was 77,but near enough. Note the word was. My chief complaint was that it was too light for me to shoot well.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remember the ad with a picture of Tom Somebodyorother sitting atop a huge pile of wooden blocks that he had shot with 66s to break the record? If I remember correctly, you could get one of the blocks by sending in or something.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Always thought they kind of looked cool. Always wanted a more accurate rifle though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was my first gun, and still sits in my safe. Apache black with the chrome finish. Great great little guns. Just about the most fun you will have with your clothes on. grin

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dustoffer
I have one -- was my first rifle, and it has digested thousands of rounds, both HV and SV, without a hiccup. I have a Williams receiver sight on it--one that clamps in the scope mount grooves. Great plinker--turtles, squirrels, etc.

Do you have the model number of that peep sight? I didn't know they made one and would like to find one.

My dad gave my brother and me brown ones he bought new for $50 each at Kmart when remington dicontnued it. Mine had a defect and I traded and have regretted it. Found a black & chrome version about 7 years ago and snapped it up. Don't shoot it much, but I will hold onto it because they seem to gain in value. Don't bother scope mounting it though.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,264
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.