Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok, .243 for hippo?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just had a long talk with my PH friend Isan Van Zyl.

I asked him which he liked best for plains game,the 270 Win., or a 300 Win. mag?

Isan said"They are the same."

He said he likes three bullets,Barnes TSX,Nosler Partitions,and Swift A Frames.

Isan told me he had taken his personal best eland with a 270,and that it had worked nicely.

Take the rifle you shoot best.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
...whereas the 270 would be on the light side. Could this be what the PH referenced?

Never said illegal, just saying on the light side per legal minimums in some areas, especially when looking at Class B game such as Eland. Just wondering if the particular PH noted by the OP was looking at this based on his or her experience. I'm sure some here could argue how a 270 Win could down game shot from a long distance in the next county, but I could see where a Guide/PH may suggest stepping up a bit in chambering to have some cushion above posted minimums.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LongRanger280
Maybe when comparing store-bought ammo...but with hand loads and modern firearms, can't the old warhorse be stepped up to some pretty impressive numbers?

What kind of velocity would you have to get to get close to 3200 ft-lbf of muzzle energy with .308" bullets suitable for large game?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Slight off-topic question - doesn't the 4300 Joule minimum for Class B game rule out the .30-06?

Looks like a .270 WSM and 7mm Rem Mag might meet the minimum depending on the specific load, but non-magnums in .30-cal and under need not apply.

Norma has made a factory loading for years with a 200-grain Oryx which is in that ball park. Handloads get there as well.

I'm just wondering if the PH was merely making a recommendation to a potential client on chambering, nothing more. The same PH may personally hunt game with the 270 Win and think it the bee's knees, no different than how Phil Shoemaker kills huge brown bears with the 30-06. But it's doubtful that either would recommend for a client hunter to duplicate the same feat, especially if they are new to such hunt.

My thoughts anyway smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/19/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

P
pod Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
im confused i got a head ache mainly because the deer moose elk bear etc never asked which one i used at the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Norma 200-grain Oryx .30-06 load doesn't make it at a muzzle energy of 4162 (J) / 3061 (ft.-lb.). Not that a .30-06 wouldn't be effective on lion or eland, but it doesn't appear that a .30-06 would be legal in Zimbabwe for Class B game without an exceptionally high muzzle velocity to get barely over the minimum.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You'll run into quite a bit of anti-.270 bias in Africa, especially South Africa and (to a lesser extent) Namibia, which where probably 90% of safari clients hunt. Actually it's not so much anti-.270, which a lot of South African hunters like for "deer-sized" game, but the notion that the .30-06 is much better as an all-around plains game cartridge.

After spending quite a bit of time talking cartridges, bullets, etc. with a few dozen PH's while over there, this appears to be the same prejudice many American hunters once had against using the .270 for anything larger than deer, or maybe caribou. And the reason is bullets.

If you've never been to South Africa, you wouldn't believe how expensive ammo and components are over there. One of my PH buddies owns a sporting goods store in Kimberley, and I spent several hours there, all together, while on a month-long hunt in 2007. I noticed that the vast majority of component bullets on his shelves were Sierras, with a very small scattering of Nosler Partitions and some South African premiums, notably the Rhino, which my buddy really likes. (In fact he gave me a box to take home and try.) The reason was that very few hunters over there are willing to pay $100-$150 for a box of 50 Partitions.

Probably 95% of South African hunters and PH's grew up using conventional cup-and-core bullets, and many still do. Conseqently they really like heavy bullets at moderate velocities, especially for "thornbush" hunting, because that's what works best at modest ranges. Many will not use the .270 for such hunting, while they will use the 7x57, because they can easily get 170-175 grain bullets for the 7x57. They like at least 180's for the .30-06, but 200's or 220's are also often used.

You'll even see this bias in Keven Robertson's fine book, THE PERFECT SHOT. When discussing cartridges for gemsbok, he says the .270 is marginal, but gushes over somebody else's custom .280 AI as perhaps the perfect gemsbok round for open country. I have used both the .270 and .280 AI quite a bit, and there isn't any noticeable difference on game (sorry, .280 AI fans). But just the fact that the .280 AI isn't a .270 makes it far more acceptable in many people's eyes.

Despite seeing a lot of American clients do good work with premium bullets in various cartridges (whether Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, or whatever), many PH's still firmly believe in the experiences they've had with cup-and-cores. Believe it or not, many PH's are not rifle loonies, just like many North American guides, and like some elk guides they'll blame the cartridge instead of the bullet for any failures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I asked him which he liked best for plains game,the 270 Win., or a 300 Win. mag?

Isan told me he had taken his personal best eland with a 270,and that it had worked nicely.

The simplicity and directness of the answer made me chuckle....on here it would be good for 30 pages of dicussion... grin

I have never been to Africa....when I go, I think I'll take a 270 with 130 Bitterroots or Aframes.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/19/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Personally, I had always thought that the .270 was kind of pedestrian. There's no doubting that it's an effective killer of game, it just never struck me as very interesting. But when it came time for me to pick a rifle for my wife to use in Africa, the .270 suddenly seemed like the perfect choice, especially in a trim little package like a Ruger 1A. With 150 grain A-Frames traveling at a modest 2700 fps, she used it to brain her croc. I shot a couple of bait impala and a baboon with it as well and I had no complaints. I don't think Zebra, Kudu or Waterbuck sized animals would have would have been a problem either. Eland, I'd want something bigger. What I've come to appreciate about this very versatile cartridge is that it does everything that I'd ask of a 30/06, 7mm Rem or even a .300 Win Mag at close to medium range, but with a lot less recoil and muzzle blast.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Believe it or not, many PH's are not rifle loonies, just like many North American guides, and like some elk guides they'll blame the cartridge instead of the bullet for any failures.

Used to be more than a few writers like that too once.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Use what you shoot well. The 270 with 150 grain Partitions is good medicine.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Thank you for an honest effort to answer my question. Interesting how many so far have not even tried to answer but still felt the need to ridicule.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You'll run into quite a bit of anti-.270 bias in Africa, especially South Africa and (to a lesser extent) Namibia, which where probably 90% of safari clients hunt. Actually it's not so much anti-.270, which a lot of South African hunters like for "deer-sized" game, but the notion that the .30-06 is much better as an all-around plains game cartridge.

After spending quite a bit of time talking cartridges, bullets, etc. with a few dozen PH's while over there, this appears to be the same prejudice many American hunters once had against using the .270 for anything larger than deer, or maybe caribou. And the reason is bullets.

If you've never been to South Africa, you wouldn't believe how expensive ammo and components are over there. One of my PH buddies owns a sporting goods store in Kimberley, and I spent several hours there, all together, while on a month-long hunt in 2007. I noticed that the vast majority of component bullets on his shelves were Sierras, with a very small scattering of Nosler Partitions and some South African premiums, notably the Rhino, which my buddy really likes. (In fact he gave me a box to take home and try.) The reason was that very few hunters over there are willing to pay $100-$150 for a box of 50 Partitions.

Probably 95% of South African hunters and PH's grew up using conventional cup-and-core bullets, and many still do. Conseqently they really like heavy bullets at moderate velocities, especially for "thornbush" hunting, because that's what works best at modest ranges. Many will not use the .270 for such hunting, while they will use the 7x57, because they can easily get 170-175 grain bullets for the 7x57. They like at least 180's for the .30-06, but 200's or 220's are also often used.

You'll even see this bias in Keven Robertson's fine book, THE PERFECT SHOT. When discussing cartridges for gemsbok, he says the .270 is marginal, but gushes over somebody else's custom .280 AI as perhaps the perfect gemsbok round for open country. I have used both the .270 and .280 AI quite a bit, and there isn't any noticeable difference on game (sorry, .280 AI fans). But just the fact that the .280 AI isn't a .270 makes it far more acceptable in many people's eyes.

Despite seeing a lot of American clients do good work with premium bullets in various cartridges (whether Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, or whatever), many PH's still firmly believe in the experiences they've had with cup-and-cores. Believe it or not, many PH's are not rifle loonies, just like many North American guides, and like some elk guides they'll blame the cartridge instead of the bullet for any failures.

Thanks for an informative post. I felt that was I was up against was just prejudice, I just wanted to find out if anyone has ever experienced this vast killing power edge the 30-06 somehow has.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by talentrec
Personally, I had always thought that the .270 was kind of pedestrian. There's no doubting that it's an effective killer of game, it just never struck me as very interesting. But when it came time for me to pick a rifle for my wife to use in Africa, the .270 suddenly seemed like the perfect choice, especially in a trim little package like a Ruger 1A. With 150 grain A-Frames traveling at a modest 2700 fps, she used it to brain her croc. I shot a couple of bait impala and a baboon with it as well and I had no complaints. I don't think Zebra, Kudu or Waterbuck sized animals would have would have been a problem either. Eland, I'd want something bigger. What I've come to appreciate about this very versatile cartridge is that it does everything that I'd ask of a 30/06, 7mm Rem or even a .300 Win Mag at close to medium range, but with a lot less recoil and muzzle blast.

[Linked Image]

Incredible croc! Congrats to her.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice fish Nice tuna

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've had these words said to my by an African PH I was considering booking with. I didn't. I've read them on the internet countless times. The thing is I've used these two rounds for years and have never been able to tell a difference in killing power between the .270 and the .30-06. I'm not saying there isn't a noticeable difference, I'm just saying I've not been able to notice it.
Question is, is there a real world difference in performance on game by these rather similar rounds? I know lots of people compare the .270 130 to the .30-06 180 but I think the .270 150 evens the playing field. What say you?
I was doing research on a possible Alaskan or British Columbia coastal black bear hunt and several of the outfitters recomended 338's as mimimum. Now I know that you don't need a 338 for black bear but they must have felt the need to have one because of the possibility of Grizzly encounters. Many Alaskans use big calibers for hunting Sitka Blacktails because of bear issues also. Now, what does this have to do with the 270/30-06 debate? Nothing really except that some outfitters have their own preferences based on experience. "Don't guide the guide" If the 06 makes him happy then it would not be a deal breaker for me. Besides, I'd take the 30-06 myself. LOL!

Last edited by Sportdog; 07/19/11.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.