Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla
Well it sure wouldn't be a Judge - it's a toy for morons.

I like Glocks, Revolvers and 1911's. If I had to choose one, it would my Kimber SS Pro Carry Series 1.

I see that you have the Judge pegged precisely. Good choices for carry

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got no favorites, just a rotating cast of reliables...

Here's what's on the bedstand tonight: S&W M57 no-dash, 41 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Very Nice,I love my M-57's

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm into handguns these days... own a bunch of them and can shoot all I want on my own property... if I was expecting to need a gun I might well pick a full sized pistol that "begins with a 4". The reality is that I live a pretty low key life... I don't generally expect trouble but I ALWAYS have my Kahr PM 9 with me anywhere it is legal to do so...

No disrespect intended for those of you who would choose a larger "only gun"... but can you say the same thing?

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by dla
Well it sure wouldn't be a Judge - it's a toy for morons.

I like Glocks, Revolvers and 1911's. If I had to choose one, it would my Kimber SS Pro Carry Series 1.

I see that you have the Judge pegged precisely. Good choices for carry

smile you don't mince words! I am curious about the Governor, I may rent one and shoot one against a Kimber 45 Auto, I would not own a Taurus of any ilk if you gave it too me.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Here I go again. For self defense I would go with one of these in .380:

http://seecamp.com/products.htm

or

a PPK in .380.

Both make good self defense pistols for the pocket and are very concealable no matter the weather.

However, if I know I'm going into harms way such as a police officer, soldier, survivalist than it's the best quality M1911 in .45 Auto I can get and a good quality K-Bar knife.

I have my flame proof suit on so flame away. grin

A 380, you don't think very much of yourself

I think a lot of myself some times to much. grin

The OP said self defense so I chose a self defense gun. The FBI's offical distance for self defense from their studies is 7 yards that's 21 feet. Some say 5 yards that's 15 feet. A .380 should do just fine at those distances.

Self defense means being a survivalist. Being a survivalist means never being in harms way to begin with. Sometimes the best laid plans go awry and one finds one in a self defense situation. Here in Helena, the most likely self defense situation is with dang dogs while one is out walking. If one shoots a dog that dang dog had better be biting a leg or be about to bite and the distance is likely to be 1 to 3 feet. At that distance a .380 with hollow points will do the job.

So far, I've survived every gun fight I've ever been in because I make sure I'm never in a gun fight. One might survive the gun fight, the criminal charges but will most likely lose the civil fight. I choose to survive by not being where I'm not suppose to be. So far, it's worked well for me. If I had chosen to go armed a .380 pocket or small IWP pistol would have worked just fine.

Tell us how many of those dang dogs have you taken out with your 380? How manny animals have you taken with any handgun?

I also try to stay out of harms way, but if god forbid I can't I am least going to try to save my bacon with a big bore 45 ACP in a 1911 platform or an N-Frame S&W in 41 or 44 mag if at possible. My mom had a 380 and all I can about them is "can you say anemic" is the word

I haven't killed any dogs with anything especially in this city. The chit would hit that fan if one killed a dog no matter what the dog is biting. Plus you can't carry a gun loaded in the city even if you have a CCW.

If .22lr kills stuff and it sure does than a .380 within three or four feet should do just fine even out to 15 feet it should do just fine.

I'm not going to get into the game of insults. As a former auxiliary police officer in a wide open gun state, when it comes to self defense you had better be able to prove self defense and that can be done better with a small gun and at close range than a large gun at a longer range.

But hey, carry what you want it's your neck. For me, if I was going to carry for self defense and not for a gun fight, a high quality .380 would work just fine.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The size or lack there of has nothing to do with the justification of the use of deadly force.

In 1986 the FBI armed with 9mm's and 38 Special +P didn't fare very well against to armed fellons and there handguns were a lot better than an anemic 380

I think enough of myself to use a weapon that is at leasat considered adequate for the task

People have been killed with a Daisy BB gun, but I don't know od anyone that considers that adequate.

Your logic escapes me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The size or lack there of has nothing to do with the justification of the use of deadly force.

In 1986 the FBI armed with 9mm's and 38 Special +P didn't fare very well against to armed fellons and there handguns were a lot better than an anemic 380

I think enough of myself to use a weapon that is at leasat considered adequate for the task

People have been killed with a Daisy BB gun, but I don't know od anyone that considers that adequate.

Your logic escapes me

As the teenagers say, "Whatever".

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

But hey, carry what you want it's your neck. For me, if I was going to carry for self defense and not for a gun fight, a high quality .380 would work just fine.

What makes you think that a self defense action would not ever be a gun fight?

Your logic definately escapes me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What makes you think that a self defense action would not ever be a gun fight?

Your logic definately escapes me

Whatever.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Whatever.
Derby, this is a friendly group down here in handguns. Stop trying to make trouble.

grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Me make trouble? NEVER! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep several handguns positioned around the house, so it would depend where I am at the time I needed one - N frame revolvers in .41 MAG & .44 MAG and a 1911 in .45 ACP. I keep a Glock M23 in 40 S&W in my vehicle - that one has a kydex paddle holster in the vehicle too, in case I need to take it with me when I end up on foot (stop by the farm, etc.)

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I must apologize for the poor use of the terms "self defense".

After visiting a number of big name firearm manufacturing sites and studying their firearms used by civilians, police back up, off duty police and FBI off duty weapons especially for concealment the terms "personal defense" is what I should have been using. The sites use the terms "personal defense" to describe weapons specifically designed for that purpose.

I realize that any weapon can be used for personal defense but certain weapons are designed for that specific purpose. Sorry for any confuse I caused.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

After visiting a number of big name firearm manufacturing sites and studying their firearms used by civilians, police back up, off duty police and FBI off duty weapons especially for concealment the terms "personal defense" is what I should have been using. The sites use the terms "personal defense" to describe weapons specifically designed for that purpose.

I realize that any weapon can be used for personal defense but certain weapons are designed for that specific purpose. Sorry for any confuse I caused.
Now I'm really confused. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Now I'm really confused. grin

You aren't the only one

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of you guys need to study the gun fights of the Old West especially the decades of the 70's and 80's and what worked and what didn't. The guns may have changed, the cast of characters may have changed, but the basic scenarios have not.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Some of you guys need to study the gun fights of the Old West especially the decades of the 70's and 80's and what worked and what didn't. The guns may have changed, the cast of characters may have changed, but the basic scenarios have not.
The winners were usually not the fast draws, but those who could keep their cool and take careful aim when they fired. As true today as it was then, I'd imagine.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Why don't you educate us? Have you ever killed anything with a 380?

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,746
Posts18,514,559
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.