Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T LEE
The best scenario for a gunfight is to avoid it, that not being possible have you gun in hand, not still in the holster. If you know you are going to be in one bring a rifle, also bring friends with rifles.

As usual, you are absolutely right.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi Old Writer,

That woman was a great deal of trouble. She darn near got me killed when she up and escaped. Then she fell in love with me, which was entirely understandable, and remained a great deal of trouble.

That is my favorite Sean Connery movie. I like it better than any of his James Bond films.

Take care,

R

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Raisuli
...That is my favorite Sean Connery movie. I like it better than any of his James Bond films.

Take care,

R

...I had the priviledge of seeing it when it came out while stationed at Camp Pendleton. During the scene when they attack the embassy---the theater came unglued!!! 500 Marines jumping up and down, beating the back of the seats yelling Uhraaaah! It was the closest that I've ever been to being in a full blown riot.

A few years ago I was shooting in a Celebrity Sporting Clays tournament and Steve Kanally (sp?) who played the Marine Capt. in the movie was on the relay in front of me. I relayed the above story to him and he popped to attention and started repeating his commands from the movie to assault the embassy, "Hostiles on the left...."

You've got to admit, Candice was one of the most beautiful women in the world in the mid-70's

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I find a J-Frame to be a suitable back-up to my primary SD weapon

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
jwp475,

You have the mindset of a survivor. And that is a crucial tactical advantage. Moreover, it is a concept that was reinforced in every firearms course that taxpayers have paid for me to attend.

Stay safe,

R

Thanks, I am a firm believer in the following quote "show me some one that thinks he is can't win and I'll show you a loser"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No, I did not qualify my pronouncement that the Model 60 is a useless handgun. Not only is it an abysmal tactical handgun, it's chambered for a worthless round, except for shooting targets and mice.

You said that you "very rarely" carry a firearm and, when you do, you choose a .45. Unless you live in a gated compound with 24/7 security or are an advanced MMA fighter, I don't see how the most abysmal tactical handgun could be less effective than, or even equivalent to, being totally unarmed. I also don't see how almost anyone with a modicum of practice could not defend himself at a distance of 7 yards with just about anything. Of course, it is a very poor choice for military and police, but the mission is different for them compared to the average citizen who has to balance stopping power and shootability considerations against the likely scenario s/he will face, the need to be discreet, and the tasks of everyday life that impact what and how to carry

The old sayig that " a ________ in your pocket beats a .45 in the safe" seems applicable here.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

No, I did not qualify my pronouncement that the Model 60 is a useless handgun. Not only is it an abysmal tactical handgun, it's chambered for a worthless round, except for shooting targets and mice.

You said that you "very rarely" carry a firearm and, when you do, you choose a .45. Unless you live in a gated compound with 24/7 security or are an advanced MMA fighter, I don't see how the most abysmal tactical handgun could be less effective than, or even equivalent to, being totally unarmed. I also don't see how almost anyone with a modicum of practice could not defend himself at a distance of 7 yards with just about anything. Of course, it is a very poor choice for military and police, but the mission is different for them compared to the average citizen who has to balance stopping power and shootability considerations against the likely scenario s/he will face, the need to be discreet, and the tasks of everyday life that impact what and how to carry

The old sayig that " a ________ in your pocket beats a .45 in the safe" seems applicable here.
I agree there is no way to know when you might be attacked, and being armed with anything beats the hell out of being unarmed. Sometimes trouble just has a way of finding you, whether you want it to or not.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hi The Real Hawk Eye,

I used to carry a Model 15. It was a decent gun, but grossly inferior as a tactical weapon.

Take Care,

R
What about it did you find inferior? I can shoot one like there's no tomorrow. Tell the truth, though, were I a cop and could choose what to carry, it would likely be a Model 10 for the fixed sights, in either four inch pencil barrel/square butt for standard holster, or three inch bull barrel/round butt for concealed carry.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Dang, somebody who understands what I've been trying to say. Thank you.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi Cheyenne,

I live in an extremely safe community where violent crime is nonexistent. In fact, I have never felt threatened in the community in which I live. The last murder of which I�m aware that happened here was over 25 years ago. Therefore, I never carry a gun while I�m in my community.

A Model 60 IS NOT a tactical handgun. I won�t delve too deeply into tactical responses, but suffice it to write that were I in an area in which I might encounter gangbangers, I know they never caper alone. That means I would expect at least two bad guys. So I always try avoiding going into gangbangers� turf.

Cheyenne, please allow my recommending your visiting a library and perusing research on victimology. Avoiding becoming a victim is not difficult if one uses her/his head. But then again, I have an enviable advantage of knowledge gained in a career in which I had to interact with serious violent offenders. Tattoos to you might be insignificant. Tattoos to me might well mean that it�s time for me to leave. And there are other indicators that warn me it�s time for me to leave.

Here�s a good link for you: http://faculty.ncwc.edu/mstevens/300/300lecturenote01.htm

A Model 60 is a neck and above handgun, which means very close distance. If you�re not successful in immediately incapacitating the CNS, expect return fire. Keeping in mind that dying is not a desirable outcome, I never want to be that close to anyone who wants to kill me. And if I have distance between bad guys and me, my first response would be to run away; hence Raisuli�s Primary Rule of Gunfighting: don�t get in one.

Now, should I find myself unable to avoid having to go into LA or other areas where threats are reality, I would take either my 1911A1 with LE ammo or my Sig P-229 with 13 rounds of LE ammo. But Raisuli�s Primary Rule of Gunfighting would still be controlling. In other words, I would avoid becoming a victim. I have not lost situational awareness.

Finally, it is very unrealistic, especially considering tactical responses, to think a good guy is going to encounter a bad guy who�ll allow himself to be a stationary target. And it is not conducive to longevity for good guys to allow themselves to become stationary targets. A wise tactical response, assuming Raisuli�s Primary Rule of Gunfighting is not an option, is to shoot while backing away and shoot while running to a barrier or out of the area. I know damned well that if I die I�ll lose regardless of what happens to the bad guy. I will avoid to the best of my ability trading my life for a bad guy�s life. That is a sucker�s trade.

BTW, with a lot of practice a committed survivor can become very proficient at tactical retreats; that is, shooting while backing away.

Cheyenne, if you�re good with a Model 60, I�m good. You gotta do what�s right for you.

Take care,

Raisuli

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi The real Hawkeye,

The obvious problem is that it's a very inferior tactical handgun that's chambered for an equally inferior cartridge.

A cop who worked an adjacent area to me qualified while on duty. She took a long time returning, which meant other cops had to handle calls in her area. When she returned she told me that there was a timing problem with her duty Model 15, and it wouldn't fire. She had to be issued a new handgun and had to qualify with it. The big boss finally got rid of all revolvers.

In all fairness, S&W had serious quality issues at one time. If I remember correctly a major law enforcement agency such as LAPD or FBI returned a huge purchase to S&W over quality issues. However, I do believe S&W now markets top quality weapons. For a short while I carried a 5906 that was one of the most reliable handguns I was ever issued. Then the big boss went bigger caliber. Seems like big bosses can never get it right the first time. But it ain't their money.

I retired carrying an issued H&K USP .45 ACP, which was a damned big handgun. I would have rather been issued a 1911A1. And since the big boss policied (I've been known to make up my own grammar rules.), a .45 ACP +P, I couldn't go back to my P-229 .40 S&W. That's a big boss for you.

Take care,

R

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did I say I was good with a Model 60 or that I carry one? You make a lot of assumptions and speak in absolutes. I tend to do neither. Take care.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Raisuli, are you the last of the Barbary pirates?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hi The real Hawkeye,

The obvious problem is that it's a very inferior tactical handgun that's chambered for an equally inferior cartridge.

A cop who worked an adjacent area to me qualified while on duty. She took a long time returning, which meant other cops had to handle calls in her area. When she returned she told me that there was a timing problem with her duty Model 15, and it wouldn't fire. She had to be issued a new handgun and had to qualify with it. The big boss finally got rid of all revolvers.

In all fairness, S&W had serious quality issues at one time. If I remember correctly a major law enforcement agency such as LAPD or FBI returned a huge purchase to S&W over quality issues. However, I do believe S&W now markets top quality weapons. For a short while I carried a 5906 that was one of the most reliable handguns I was ever issued. Then the big boss went bigger caliber. Seems like big bosses can never get it right the first time. But it ain't their money.

I retired carrying an issued H&K USP .45 ACP, which was a damned big handgun. I would have rather been issued a 1911A1. And since the big boss policied (I've been known to make up my own grammar rules.), a .45 ACP +P, I couldn't go back to my P-229 .40 S&W. That's a big boss for you.

Take care,

R
I used to own a 5906, and my impression also was that it was completely reliable. I didn't find it a natural pointer, however, so sold it to my uncle. I've owned a USP-45 for many years now, and like it a lot, but I agree that it's large, and also much prefer the all steel 1911 to it for daily IWB carry.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cheyenne,

Then what in God's name is your motivation?

Cheyenne, there are absolutes in life regardless if you choose to acknowledge them. Cheyenne, if a bad guy kills you because of a delusion you're holding, you will find death to be absolute.

Good Luck,

R

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For all you guys who want a pistol to really fight the bad guys I've found it for you. How you conceal it is up to you.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p556-pistol.aspx

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
For all you guys who want a pistol to really fight the bad guys I've found it for you. How you conceal it is up to you.

Pretty worthless without a stock of some sort.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, the only thing on a car that offers any real protection is the engine block.

Interesting how much more effective the .338 and .50 were than the assault rifle rounds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Pretty worthless without a stock of some sort.

Hey, there were guys here that needed a tactical pistol and that's about as tactical as one can get. grin

I mean, if a guy lives where he is going to be in a gunfight every night with multiple targets he needs a real tactical pistol. grin

It sure beats the .380 Sig pocket pistol. I just haven't figured out if one should use a IWB holster or an OWB holster for concealed carry. grin

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,595
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.