Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
On the campfire I have read several threads about the pros and cons of deer feeding or baiting but don't remember anything on deer decoys.

How do you feel ethical or not, do they attract bucks or not?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am almost to the point of trying one. The past two bow seasons I have had 4 instances where I think it would have paid off.

Two seasons back I had the same good buck come by me 7 times in one day and I threw everything I had at him with no luck. He just wouldn't come that last little bit. The same day a bruiser 140 class wide 8 crossed a lane at 50yds. I got him to stop, but he lost interest and went on.

Then, last year the same exact buck that gave me the slip 7 times the year before fought another buck about 70yds from me. I snort wheezed at him and he stiff legged my way trashing some little trees. He hung up at 32yds behind some brush and wouldn't budge, just kept scanning for the other buck. A dang doe blew by and carried him away. I hit him again with a SW at around 40, he stopped and puffed up, but took off after the doe.

That same day a nice tall 10pt crossed 3 of my lanes bout 60yds out. If he could have seen what was grunting at him, I think he may have came in for the shot.

If I would have had a decoy on those hunts, I feel like I would have put a tag on at least a couple of those bucks. Maybe one day they'll open rifle or MLer during the rut!

loder

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I need to hunt where you do...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an archery target that looks like a deer. I left the antlers off of it and used it one year. It didn't appear to draw deer in from any distance, but it did catch their attention which may keep you from getting busted. I lent it to a friend, and his observations pretty much matched mine.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 years ago I was hunting a picked bean field in Iowa. Starting at about 3 pm I started rattling about every 20 minutes. 3rd sequence has a nice mature 8 pt walking stiff legged behind my stand about 60 yards. He saw the decoy and stiff legged it all the way to the decoy, I mean nose to nose at 12 yards. He had a muzzy moment shortly thereafter. I'll definitely use them again, one of my favorite memories.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Made me look this up , sorry for the tangent , but .....

[Linked Image]

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh Well, thanks for the photo evidence! That answers the question if they work.

The only time I was around a decoy was in Alberta on a whitetail hunt. There was a small whitetail buck decoy and a mature mule deer buck trotted out from the tree line and smelled of it. Walked around a few times stopping as if asking himself what the [bleep],then he walked off. No wnitetails paid any attention to that decoy. But in fairness to the decoy, there was a hot doe nearby some small bucks courting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used one two years ago. We use decoys in predator hunting with fantastic results. In my mind I didn't see how this would be any different. I also wasn't bowhunting, but was in a large pine 30ft+ up. At that height I can stand, move around, and get a full 360 degree view of the valley I was setup in.

Deer saw it. Dumb curious ones came in. It helped to use calls and when the deer tried to locate the calls they saw the decoy and trotted in. Older deer held up. Saw it and just stood there frozen staring at it. A few older does lost their [bleep] and stamped and snorted before blowing and running off.

After these experiences I did some more reading and question asking. It seems like the decoy needs to move. A lot of people talk about making the tail move. Some use tp and tape a folded fluff on which blows in the wind. Other decoys have more elaborate robotics.

I sold the decoy to a bow hunter who was stoked to try it out. I was seriously freaked out by carrying it, even broken down through the woods during season.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
guy I know shot one several years back. Sadly, it belonged to the Fish & Game cop, who arrested my acquaintance. At the trial, he got a $500 fine, and they confiscated his rifle, and put him on a No hunting license ban for 10 years.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are hard to cook....and sure don't taste like chicken laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flinch
They are hard to cook....and sure don't taste like chicken laugh Flinch

yeah, but they are esier to drag outta the woods, and even easier to gut!

Mine tasted a little rubbery. (hey that's it & don't forget to tip your waitress!)

I know really bad. I bought one Jim shockey was hawking that rolled up, and I never saw anything when i used it. I now hunt public land, so using one is a signifigant risk, but I sometimes consider it.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
I need to hunt where you do...

Beat me to it....

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No idea whether they work or not and I can't imagine ever buying one.

I don't understand what sort of ethics question there could be. Man has been trying to decoy wildlife for countless ages. I suspect anyone with an issue over deer decoys is working at being hurt, offended, and mad.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hunt in Minnesota. No way in hell would I ever, under any circumstance, no way, no how hunt over a deer decoy! I hunt deer on private property, always have, but that doesn't mean some idiot won't show up and shoot at the bleeping decoy.

If an idiot is shooting at a decoy, it's an idiot shooting way too close to me. I have learned there's no shortage of idiots. I wouldn't ever even consider hunting over a decoy for a second.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've used them with mixed results. When I set one up, it gets sprayed down with scent killer and I put a white feather on the tail for movement. I've had deer come right to it, and other times, they look at it and spook back to the wood line. I have never had a mature buck come to mine though. Does and little bucks are usually the investigators.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yup it is just better to hunt. Then taken for a jack $ss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

I've used decoys for several years while hunting in Manitoba.
The reason for the decoy in that locale was oftentimes the bucks crossing the narrow cutlines don't give one enough time to size them up. The decoy does a pretty good job of at least getting them to stop and look, or, for them to cross only for them to reappear 100 yards closer to investigate.

The decoy worked pretty slick in that application.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like calling or anything else. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't and sometimes they can cost you an opportunity.

I'm not big on decoys, but I believe they can be useful if you know when and where to use 'em.

We had deer that would run across a small bean field during shooting hours. You could whistle, scream, grunt, fart and they wouldn't stop. We were also about 110 yds from where they crossed and it was the only cover available, so we couldn't move any closer to get a shot.

This was in the 90's. We stuck a deer target out in the field to try to get them to stop.

Next time around, they ran across as usual... but 30 yds closer to our set up than on their previous sprints. My guess is they watched the deer from cover, decided to give it a wide berth and moved down to cross the field.

We borrowed another deer target, put it out about 20 yds from the other decoy in hopes the deer would run across 50-60 yds from our set up and give us a decent chance at a shot.

Next time we saw them cross, they ran on the far side of the decoys away from us. mad

We moved the furthest one 20 yds back and tried it again.

Sure enough, they popped out about 40 yds from us and my buddy killed a nice 7 point.

We may could have gotten the same results using washing machines, but I don't think so.

JM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I walk almost constantly, stopping to glass terrain as needed. I don't know how I could ever make use of a decoy.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'd have to dress up like one. grin

Hey, I might try that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.