Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
Here's another hunt from the Dead On DVD. It has two parts to it so make sure to watch both parts. This hunt happened on the days fallowing the two bulls down video I posted. Just a great hunt and probably the best hunt I've been on.

Here's the link to the 1st part http://youtu.be/G9d430QifnY

Here's the link to the 2nd part http://youtu.be/iNLxvCQYkRk

Be sure to check out all my other videos on my Youtube page. Thanks for watching!

Last edited by azhuntography; 07/26/11.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Lucky shot that's all I can say. Congrats to the hunter, but that is not a high percentage killing shot, to put it mildly. He should have turned that shot down and waited for a broadside shot.

Great job on the video...studio quality.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Super nice bull. I'd be lying if I was to say that I wouldn't have taken that same shot. He was in close and he was probably going to bust them if he would have waited for him to turn. He made it work. Congrats to him.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He was obviously successful, but man...he was really close to hitting the shoulder instead.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the comments!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a lucky shot at all. The arrow went right between the sternum and the shoulder blade, where it was supposed to, and took out a lung and probably liver too. That bull would have never turned broadside. At 15-20 yards, if you can't hit that "spot" with an arrow, you have no business hunting with a bow. I've killed several with that shot. It is a very lethal kill shot. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Beg to disagree...a frontal shot between the sternum and shoulder blade takes out one lung at best...the great majority of the time this is not fatal. You better take out both lungs when slinging sticks at any animal, particularly elk.

The fact that the bull would not turn broadside is EXACTLY why he should have turned the shot down.

VERY marginal shot at best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many elk have you killed with archery equipment? I have killed at least 15 with stick and string, from every angle you can shoot them and still hit vitals. I have taken several with one lung hits. They don't go any further than a two lung or heart hit. I even took a big black bear with a frontal shot. The arrow took out the heart, a lung, the liver and several major arteries before sticking in the hip. He went a whole 40 yards on a dead run.

I have also taken numerous deer with frontal shots between the sternum and scapula. Think about it, you have the heart, lungs, liver and MANY major arteries going from front to rear on critters. The issue is, most guys aim for center mass and hit the sternum. The hunter picked his shot, placed it perfectly and harvested a dang nice bull. If you aren't comfortable with the shot, don't take it. I understand that most hunters aren't comfortable with it and couldn't hit a cantaloupe sized target at 20 yards. The guy that shot that bull has probably shot dozens of them, obviously knows what he is doing and placed a perfect shot. Kudos to him and I would have taken the same shot. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flinch
How many elk have you killed with archery equipment? I have killed at least 15 with stick and string, from every angle you can shoot them and still hit vitals. I have taken several with one lung hits. They don't go any further than a two lung or heart hit. I even took a big black bear with a frontal shot. The arrow took out the heart, a lung, the liver and several major arteries before sticking in the hip. He went a whole 40 yards on a dead run.

I have also taken numerous deer with frontal shots between the sternum and scapula. Think about it, you have the heart, lungs, liver and MANY major arteries going from front to rear on critters. The issue is, most guys aim for center mass and hit the sternum. The hunter picked his shot, placed it perfectly and harvested a dang nice bull. If you aren't comfortable with the shot, don't take it. I understand that most hunters aren't comfortable with it and couldn't hit a cantaloupe sized target at 20 yards. The guy that shot that bull has probably shot dozens of them, obviously knows what he is doing and placed a perfect shot. Kudos to him and I would have taken the same shot. Flinch

Your an idiot. You ever going to man up and apologize for the slanderous lies you posted?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have taken several with one lung hits. They don't go any further than a two lung or heart hit. Flinch

Laffin'...

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, the fact that you have killed at least 15 with a stick and string indeed makes you an authority on marginal shots. I'll defer to your expertise on this.

The statement that they don't go any further when hit in one lung instead of two (with an arrow) is the biggest load of horse manure I have seen posted on this forum in awhile. I can't say in any plainer than that.

Best of luck this fall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57

The statement that they don't go any further when hit in one lung instead of two (with an arrow) is the biggest load of horse manure I have seen posted on this forum in awhile. I can't say in any plainer than that.

About everything he posts is BS. He's an idiot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing that has not been mentioned about that shot is that Elk is not going to bleed until it's chest cavity fills up or it bleeds through the mouth or nose. That shot may work if you are hunting in an open area and you have lot's of daylight to search. Not a shot to be taking on a late evening hunt or in thick wooded area. Every bow hunter knows his abilities or limitations and not all have the same ethics. It worked this time but? Tom

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't want to get sideways with anybody on the forums, including him....There is just too much evidence to the contrary from folks in the field like us. I have no doubt the original poster has taken his elk in the manner he stated...but as we say in the south, I don't fry my fish that way. And anybody I know that bowhunts, me included, does not take that shot.
The guy in that video was lucky as hell he had a blood trail to follow. As evidenced by the video, he did indeed hit a lung and got it good. Can't argue with that. If you duplicate that shot ten times, you would get that result once (that is only my opinion, I know that). When hunting, particularly bow hunting, we play the percentage game, whether we like to admit it or not....take your shots that result in the highest likelyhood of producing a humane, fatal shot. What if that arrow had not been fatal????? The bull was toting the entire arrow in his gut.....

But it's only an animal right????? I think we owe it to the animal to give it our best effort and best shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom...the second that arrow goes through the lungs, the bull is coughing up blood, so the chest cavity does not need to fill up with blood. Flinch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Your an idiot. You ever going to man up and apologize for the slanderous lies you posted?

I'm not apologizing for anything. Tell me again why Ryan sold his chute plane? OH yeah, because he was honest and never spooked, hazed or herded game in any way and the local hunters (which have worked hard scouting as well) LOVE him. The game wardens down there think he is the bomb too. That is so laughable. Sheesh,....your the idiot. Tell me again why he has a target on his back if is such an honest guy and everyone loves him? But then again, we are all supposed to listen to you, because you hunted with him once. Again, I bow before your expertise. Quite comical to say the least. Shouldn't you be out begging outfitters to let you wipe their clients assses about now?

Continue to post the same pictures over and over again of you with a large groups of guys siting over a buck in the dark. You can bullshit the fans, but not the players.

When you actually kill an elk with a bow, get back to me drumdumb. Flinch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Well, the fact that you have killed at least 15 with a stick and string indeed makes you an authority on marginal shots. I'll defer to your expertise on this.

Never claimed to be an authority, but been there done that enough times to know what works. Are their better shot angles, of course, but this one works too. Flinch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every bow hunter has different skills and hunts with different equipment. That being said, I personally would have taken that shot and felt comfortable about doing so. I know my skills and my equipment and have over 40+ years of bow hunting experience. If you are not confident or think it is an unethical shot than it's a decision only you can make. When the situation actually arises, instinct and experience takes over and ethics are not on my mind. If you are not confident in your shot then you probably are not going to make a very good one. This thread could go on and on but when you down to it most bow hunters use common sense and are not trying to wound an animal when they let that arrow go. I would hope that everyone understands there is a learning curve to bow hunting and experience is part of it. Tom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I'm not apologizing for anything. Tell me again why Ryan sold his chute plane? OH yeah, because he was honest and never spooked, hazed or herded game in any way and the local hunters (which have worked hard scouting as well) LOVE him. The game wardens down there think he is the bomb too. That is so laughable. Sheesh,....your the idiot. Tell me again why he has a target on his back if is such an honest guy and everyone loves him? But then again, we are all supposed to listen to you, because you hunted with him once. Again, I bow before your expertise. Quite comical to say the least. Shouldn't you be out begging outfitters to let you wipe their clients assses about now?

Continue to post the same pictures over and over again of you with a large groups of guys siting over a buck in the dark. You can bullshit the fans, but not the players.

When you actually kill an elk with a bow, get back to me drumdumb. Flinch

Flinch, there is nothing here that's true. You stupid mother fugger, let me simplify this for you. You posted up nothing but BS about him, all were slanderous lies manufactured by your little mind. Prove it! It's not up to an innocent man to prove his innocence, you made claims that you'll never be able to substantiate. You and I both know it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll ask nice now, Flinch, will you please post of facts to substantiate your claim? Pretty please with a cherry on top. If what you say is true then it should be very easy to do Flinch. If you cannot do this then a public apology is in order

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.