Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by keith
I think that you might be amazed at the velocity of a 26" 270.

You can always cut it off later, you can never put it back on.

Buddy of mine built a #5 contour, hart barrel, 29" long some years back for shooting chucks at long distances(he like to see them get airborn). I can't remember the numbers, but the velocity was like nothing I had ever read about clocking it across my Ohler 35P. What I do remember was that it was stomping hell out of a 257 Weatherby's velocity.

I have a 29" 270 that gets 3140 FPS with 140 grain TSX bullets with published load data

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Get what makes you happy and feels good.

Prezactly. A 26" tube on a .270 ain't exactly my cup of tea but I'm not the one that'll be drinking said tea. If it makes your socks go up and down, have at it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I concur....! wink

How's ya feeling...commin' around?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Our Rem 700 BDL 270s have 22" barrels but I've always thought of going to 26". The stock barrels just shoot so good, I can't replace them until they're worn out. As far as working in the thick cover, just came back from a hog hunt with my 500 Jeff with it's 24" barrel, killed my hog at 8 feet in thickets where 15 feet was the furthest we could see ahead of us and usually less. The 24" barrel was no hindrance.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If the brush is so thick that a rifle is a problem, then I suggest one choose a handgun

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Swampman700 Mine been moving also from standing to falling on the ground with 270s and the rest of my guns

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the past 40 years, I've exposed my ears to tens of thousands of unshielded muzzle blasts while out in the field hunting. Of course I use ear protection while practicing or when I can, but for most of my hunting, I dont. A 26" barrel will produce a lot less felt muzzle blast and noise to the shooter. Especially from prone. All of my coyote hunting rifles have barrels at least 26"(no brakes)and some are longer for that very reason. Not for the velocity gain. With the scopes I use on these rifles, 50 or 60 fps is a non factor.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've said it before and will say it again.... seems funny to me that a 26" barrel works well on a shotgun but a 26" rifle barrel is too long. When I was a kid and we had a shotgun here in Minnesota, it had either a 28 or 30 inch barrel and we used it for waterfowl and grouse hunting. The grouse hunting was in the same brushy stuff as we hunted deer in. I hunted grouse many,many days with a shotgun with a 30 inch barrel and never gave it a thought that it was too long to work in tight cover. I have hunted deer with a rifle sporting a 26" barrel on several occasions in the heavy cover here. I didn't and still don't see a problem using that length of tube. And trust me, we have some thick brush here. By the way, I have a 270 with a 25" barrel that work just fine! As others have said, it boils down to what you like, and a 270 with a 26" barrel would work just fine, if that is what you want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good points MMGravy and exactly what I've found!

Being from NE MN I know what you mean about thick brush too!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Over the past 40 years, I've exposed my ears to tens of thousands of unshielded muzzle blasts while out in the field hunting. Of course I use ear protection while practicing or when I can, but for most of my hunting, I dont. A 26" barrel will produce a lot less felt muzzle blast and noise to the shooter. Especially from prone. All of my coyote hunting rifles have barrels at least 26"(no brakes)and some are longer for that very reason. Not for the velocity gain. With the scopes I use on these rifles, 50 or 60 fps is a non factor.

+1...........

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mmgravy
I've said it before and will say it again.... seems funny to me that a 26" barrel works well on a shotgun but a 26" rifle barrel is too long. When I was a kid and we had a shotgun here in Minnesota, it had either a 28 or 30 inch barrel and we used it for waterfowl and grouse hunting. The grouse hunting was in the same brushy stuff as we hunted deer in. I hunted grouse many,many days with a shotgun with a 30 inch barrel and never gave it a thought that it was too long to work in tight cover. I have hunted deer with a rifle sporting a 26" barrel on several occasions in the heavy cover here. I didn't and still don't see a problem using that length of tube. And trust me, we have some thick brush here. By the way, I have a 270 with a 25" barrel that work just fine! As others have said, it boils down to what you like, and a 270 with a 26" barrel would work just fine, if that is what you want.

+1.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 338 has a 24" barrel, and I am probably going to ave it whacked to 21-22" just for hunting timber/aspens.

I put a 28" barrel on a .375/.416 Rem Mag with a muzzle brake on the end of it. I intentially took it to the woods to see if it would catch on things. After several days I finally felt it bump on something. I stopped right there check how much I would need to cut off to miss the obstruction. All I needed to do was take off the brake.

I am now convinced, from reallife testing, the idea of a short barrel for woods hunting to clear obstructions is based on ignorant prejudice.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If I can hunt woodcock with a 26-28 inch barreled shotgun in woods so thick that a rifle with a bayonet on it would be scarcely less useful than it for deer hunting, the question of a 26 inch barrel on a rifle for any kind of remotely normal work is patently ridiculous.

If you like a long barrel shoot a long barrel. If you don't, then don't do that! Anywhere a rifle with a 26 inch barrel would be a problem, the sight you'd use to take advantage of the barrel would certainly be a bigger problem.

Dumb ass question. Dumb ass argument.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
My 338 has a 24" barrel, and I am probably going to ave it whacked to 21-22" just for hunting timber/aspens.

I put a 28" barrel on a .375/.416 Rem Mag with a muzzle brake on the end of it. I intentially took it to the woods to see if it would catch on things. After several days I finally felt it bump on something. I stopped right there check how much I would need to cut off to miss the obstruction. All I needed to do was take off the brake.

I am now convinced, from reallife testing, the idea of a short barrel for woods hunting to clear obstructions is based on ignorant prejudice.

Exactly......[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
from Miles58 - "Dumb ass question. Dumb ass argument."

This statement is un-called for. What is this forum for, except to share ideas, information, experiences, and opinions.

Scenarshooter made a very good point here in my opinion regarding perceived noise. I have noticed that I can shoot my .222 with 26" bbl with comfort sans hearing protection, whereas a .223 with shorter barrel is uncomfortable for me to do the same. Im sure the .223 has more muzzle blast, but it has always been my theory that the longer barrel helped with this. Also, Ive heard avid duck hunters express distain for sharing a blind with someone shooting short barreled shotguns because of the loud muzzleblast that accompanied it. I was hoping the 26" barrel on a .270 might make shooting it a bit more pleasant. Just a thought.

Last edited by pharmvet; 07/25/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
pharmvet..............You have gotton alot of opinions for sure. What barrel length you settle on will be based on your own hunting preference. Nothing wrong with a 26" barrel, or a 24" barrel, nor even a 22" or even shorter using the 270.

Personally, when I know I`ll be hog hunting or hunting other game in much thicker terrains, I first prefer using my 35.5" long 300 WSM compact or secondly a 40.75" long Ruger Alaskan vs my 48.5" long 28.5" barreled Weatherby.

Is that to say that I or anyone else is going to have trouble getting tangled up with branches, twigs, bushes etc? No it doesn`t. But what it does do, is reduce the odds with less liklihood of doing so.

All the disagreements, the agreements, plus everything else discussed on this thread with regards to rifle balance and muzzle stability, is all subjective and is really a judgement call by the user.

Trial and error for yourself out in the field is really the best experience.

Good luck.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pharmvet
from Miles58 - "Dumb ass question. Dumb ass argument."

This statement is un-called for. What is this forum for, except to share ideas, information, experiences, and opinions.

Scenarshooter made a very good point here in my opinion regarding perceived noise. I have noticed that I can shoot my .222 with 26" bbl with comfort sans hearing protection, whereas a .223 with shorter barrel is uncomfortable for me to do the same. Im sure the .223 has more muzzle blast, but it has always been my theory that the longer barrel helped with this. Also, Ive heard avid duck hunters express distain for sharing a blind with someone shooting short barreled shotguns because of the loud muzzleblast that accompanied it. I was hoping the 26" barrel on a .270 might make shooting it a bit more pleasant. Just a thought.
.............Having shorter barrels requires trade-offs. Certain things ya gain while certain things like more noise and blast you must be able to tolerate and be comfortable with.

Hi powered cartridges fired from shorter barreled rifles are certainly not for most. I have two of them. Bought them for me and not for anyone else`s consideration. I duly warn those around me before the fun begins, and then they can either do their due diligence or not.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing wrong with a 26" tube at all.

All my weatherbies have one and it never felt out of place, even in the timber.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

How many times has anyone with a longer barreled and better balanced rifle took a kill shot totally by freehand at their game without using either shooting sticks or resting their rifle on or against something? I`ll say hardly at all if ever.

Speak for yourself.
No kidding.. I've gotten several deer with offhand shots - no support, no sticks, no nothin'....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had my Ruger Hawkeye rebarrel to a 243Win wit 24" length in sporter contour. I like the way it balances and like scenarshooter the noise/muzzle blast does seem milder compared to a 22"barrel. To earlier to tell how it handles out in the field yet.

Not sure how a 24" barrel would balance with a long action but one could always go with heavier contour to try to get the balance.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.