Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
[Linked Image]

Now one, myself included, may not agree with Paddler yet his argument was well stated.

It did not at all deserve the middle digit. If you have not the mental horsepower to make a reasonable response your best response is none.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
It did not at all deserve the middle digit. If you have not the mental horsepower to make a reasonable response your best response is none.

[Linked Image]

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hey, OP, where did you find that emoticon? It's pretty funny. Well, it doesn't bear repeating, but it's funny the first time.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Personally, I believe the Democrats (under Obummer) will introduce a "debt reduction" bill the day before we go into "default". It will be comprised of at least 10,000 pages, and be scheduled for vote the next day - because of impending doom. NO ONE will have time to read it before our legislators "must" vote yea or nay!!!
(Think Obummercare) and prior experience.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
K
Another thousand point drop, like what we saw when first Tarp plan didn't pass or a debit downgrade with instant, but ultimately short term interest rate spike will get to two sides calm enough to pass something.
They care to much about getting re-elected, both sides, to really affect a drastic change. Both sides known since Feb. That this would be an issue, but nothing really done till last hour....and the politicing...It's worse than the TV craze over the tot hoo how was found not guilty.

The 7 P's: Proper Preperation Prevents Pathetically Piss Poor Performance
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Paddler
....... Since the Tea Tards have absolutely refused any kind of compromise, their position is now untenable. I expect Obama to strike back hard, as public opinion is on his side....

I don't think that's true at all....it's funny that even here in liberal Massachusetts, working people are not at all happy with Obama.They seem to know what Obama is up to and frankly those working people I speak with,all want him gone.This is the street talking....the guy is toast come 2012.

That Repubs don't know how to win a horse race is apparent.Throw them out ,too...

Tea Party should hold the line hard,let the deadline pass....nothing will happen August 2 and we'll be downgraded anyway,if the rating agencies are to be believed...it's all smoke screen and mirrors.

I don't believe for a second any scare tactics from the Left.

Paddler you speak in generalities and platitudes. You are as intellectually dishonest as your handlers.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Entitlements need to be cut (this includes Social Security,

Can you have your democrats send me what I have already paid in, and we'll just call it even?

From http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/military-retirement-system#1

"Military Retirement Overview
"The military retirement system is arguably the best retirement deal around. Unlike most retirement plans, the Armed Forces offer a pension, with benefits, that starts the day you retire, no matter how old you are. That means you could start collecting a regular retirement pension as early as 37 years old. What's more, that pension check will grow with a cost of living adjustment each year."

From: http://www.moneycrashers.com/military-retirement-pay-pension-benefits/

"What is a High 36 military pension worth?
"Although the benefits gained from a lifetime military pension will differ based on the pay grade of the member upon retirement, I�ll provide two examples of the worth of a lifetime military pension.

(The following calculations assume the following: High 36 retirement plan, began service at age 22, served for 20 years, and national average life expectancy of 78.4 years.)

1.The typical officer: The typical officer who retires in 2010 as an O-4 with 20 years of active duty service will receive $2,523,817 total over the next 34 years.
2.The typical enlisted member: The typical enlisted member who retires in 2010 as an E-7 with 20 years of active duty service will receive $1,465,308.00 total over the next 34 years."

I certainly do not begrudge retired military members their pension, but in today's fiscal environment, can the nation afford a lifetime of payouts, starting at age 37 or so (depending of age at joining)? Perhaps the pension should be payable (adjusted for inflation) on reaching age 62 to help balance the budget and reduce the load on the national debt. Until reaching age 62, the retiree would have to work and save just like the rest of us.

True, this pension benefit was granted by a liberal, welfare oriented Congress, but we need to consider its ramifications in light of the current fiscal situation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paddler
It's an irrelevant circus act, anyway. DOA in the Senate. Now, can we get on to the business of governing this land of ours?

Look stupid, here is the way it works:

The PRESIDENT (you know the current marxist occupant in the WH) SUBMITS a budget to the Congress. He has failed to do so now for over a year and a half. The last one he sent was voted down by a democrapically controlled Senate 99-0 and that is when he had both a democrap controlled House and Senate.

If he repeals the so-called Bush Tax Cuts that would net him about 90 billion out of his ridiculous 1.3 TRILLION budget and in the process, severely handicap small businesess because of the way they fill their taxes on individual 1040s, meaning a business owner might declare say a million in total income, most of that is in operating expenses employee salaries etc and his personal income might be well below 100K. So, if you cut that, their only option is to reduce expenditures, i.e employees thus reducing the tax base.

if he were to tax at 100% tax rate every penny everyone made above 250K and I mean every penny, that would net him about 900 billion and in the process destroy the economy as most small business owners file their business on individual tax forms, thus causing mass layoffs.

If he were to CONFISCATE ALL OF THE WEALTH of the top income earners that would give him a balanced budget for ONE YEAR. The problem with that is in year two, our revenues would be non-existent because we'd be back in a 16th Century ecoomic process.

While I'm at it, destroying all your silly-assed communist talking points, the total debt amassed during the Bush eight years in office was 2.8 billion. The marxist obama's debt since he took office stands at 5.3 TRILLION. Speaking of democraps, the president responsible for first tapping into social security funds? LYNDON JOHNSON.

Oil companies: Currently pay over 40 BILLION in taxes and work on a 9% profit margin.

And perhaps the most telling comment of all on that worthless POS Marxist evoked by the non-partican CBO:

"Mr. President, we do not score speeches, we score budgets"

if that is not a world-class embarrasing bitchslap, I don't know what is. (well this post to you is even better).

I realize I've probably overtaxed your pointy head, but if the hammer and sycle fit, stick it up your commieass and go post your crap somewhere else.

Last edited by jorgeI; 07/29/11.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good morning Jorge. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
WHY do y'all keep lettin' that troll bark your tree??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"Oil companies: Currently pay over 40 BILLION in taxes and work on a 9% profit margin."

Jorge - you are correct that oil (and gas) companies work on a 9% profit margin on average; but his is profit based on sales. Economists generally rank profitability using investment as the denominator.

I do not know what their rate-of-return on investment would be, but I' guessing it would be nearer to 15-18%. True, they have huge capital need, but they keep managing to put holes in the ground.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think between jorgeI and BobinNH, we have it covered....

Life is too short to squabble - mend the past, live today, and dream of tomorrow
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey Piddler, go back to posting on the the HuffPo, Daily KOS and Media Matters. You can wrap yourself in the red flag with like minded fecal heads.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs
From http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/military-retirement-system#1

"The military retirement system is arguably the best retirement deal around. No it isn't. Fed/State unions have a much better racket, for instance they work them overtime for their last year so their retirement is based on that last year's salary so they retire at what was normally their full pay. Miltary retirees retire at roughly 50% of their BASE PAY and lose all allowances, onsensibly losing over 50% of their active duty pay.

Unlike most retirement plans, the Armed Forces offer a pension, with benefits, that starts the day you retire, no matter how old you are. That means you could start collecting a regular retirement pension as early as 37 years old. What's more, that pension check will grow with a cost of living adjustment each year." Not true. I retired in 08 and have not receive a SINGLE cost of living pay increase.

"Although the benefits gained from a lifetime military pension will differ based on the pay grade of the member upon retirement, I�ll provide two examples of the worth of a lifetime military pension.

(The following calculations assume the following: High 36 retirement plan, began service at age 22, served for 20 years, and national average life expectancy of 78.4 years.)

1.The typical officer: The typical officer who retires in 2010 as an O-4 with 20 years of active duty service will receive $2,523,817 total over the next 34 years.
2.The typical enlisted member: The typical enlisted member who retires in 2010 as an E-7 with 20 years of active duty service will receive $1,465,308.00 total over the next 34 years."

I certainly do not begrudge retired military members their pension,then why say it?but in today's fiscal environment, can the nation afford a lifetime of payouts, starting at age 37 or so (depending of age at joining)? Perhaps the pension should be payable (adjusted for inflation) on reaching age 62 to help balance the budget and reduce the load on the national debt. Until reaching age 62, the retiree would have to work and save just like the rest of us. The rest of "us"? your gov't benefits are a long way off "the rest of us" for example in addition to your retirement, you get free money plus matching into your Thrift SAvings Plan.True, this pension benefit was granted by a liberal, welfare oriented Congress, but we need to consider its ramifications in light of the current fiscal situation.

My comments above in BOLD I expect *MY* contract with the gov't to be honored. If they want to change stuff and do as you suggest, I'm fine with that, then we'll see where we are with making our recruitment goals. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by djs

"The military retirement system is arguably the best retirement deal around. No it isn't. Fed/State unions have a much better racket, for instance they work them overtime for their last year so their retirement is based on that last year's salary so they retire at what was normally their full pay. Miltary retirees retire at roughly 50% of their BASE PAY and lose all allowances, onsensibly losing over 50% of their active duty pay.

Unlike most retirement plans, the Armed Forces offer a pension, with benefits, that starts the day you retire, no matter how old you are. That means you could start collecting a regular retirement pension as early as 37 years old. What's more, that pension check will grow with a cost of living adjustment each year." Not true. I retired in 08 and have not receive a SINGLE cost of living pay increase.

I certainly do not begrudge retired military members their pension,YES YOU DO but in today's fiscal environment, can the nation afford a lifetime of payouts, starting at age 37 or so (depending of age at joining)? Perhaps the pension should be payable (adjusted for inflation) on reaching age 62 to help balance the budget and reduce the load on the national debt. Until reaching age 62, the retiree would have to work and save just like the rest of us. The rest of "us"? your gov't benefits are a long way off "the rest of us" for example in addition to your retirement, you get free money plus matching into your Thrift SAvings Plan.True, this pension benefit was granted by a liberal, welfare oriented Congress, but we need to consider its ramifications in light of the current fiscal situation.

My comments above in BOLD I expect *MY* contract with the gov't to be honored. If they want to change stuff and do as you suggest, I'm fine with that, then we'll see where we are with making our recruitment goals. jorge

As to working overtime - I know of no Federal employees who decide to work overtime on their own; their supervisor has to approve it. Also, just as in industry, exempt employees (such as I) often work 50-60 hours a week and get NO overtime compensation - we just do it because it is the job (as to our military counterparts).

As to contracts, they can be legally altered due to changing conditions,, such as the lack of ability to pay. If the nation cannot pay its debts, then any contract is subject to revision.

I am not trying to start an argument, but sacred cows may have to be slaughtered in a time of famine (or possibly, we can opt for some "revenue enhancements").

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Having trained troops sitting at the pointy head of the spear is a good thing IMO...I only served 6 years but at ANY given time, you can be called on to do what many in this country (including the current POTUS) are either afraid or unwilling to do...the fact that some people want to cut their pensions says much about their character...

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I missed this point in my previous reply.

"The rest of "us"? your gov't benefits are a long way off "the rest of us" for example in addition to your retirement, you get free money plus matching into your Thrift SAvings Plan."

I am CSRS Offset. I pay into both CSRS and Social Security AND, i get NO free government matching money into the TSP.

Contrary to your feeling, I do not oppose military retirement. You and all retirees earned it and should be paid the retirement, but the nation cannot afford to pay it out until a "full retirement age� is reached, just like Social Security. Or perhaps it can be "discounted" so one can receive a discounted monthly payment, based on age when payments start.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Having trained troops sitting at the pointy head of the spear is a good thing IMO...I only served 6 years but at ANY given time, you can be called on to do what many in this country (including the current POTUS) are either afraid or unwilling to do...the fact that some people want to cut their pensions says much about their character...

In times of national emergencies, drastic measures have to be taken - it is not a matter of character, but of economic reality and fairness to the country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs
I missed this point in my previous reply.

"The rest of "us"? your gov't benefits are a long way off "the rest of us" for example in addition to your retirement, you get free money plus matching into your Thrift SAvings Plan."

I am CSRS Offset. I pay into both CSRS and Social Security AND, i get NO free government matching money into the TSP.

Contrary to your feeling, I do not oppose military retirement. You and all retirees earned it and should be paid the retirement, but the nation cannot afford to pay it out until a "full retirement age� is reached, just like Social Security. Or perhaps it can be "discounted" so one can receive a discounted monthly payment, based on age when payments start.

Certainly a topic for discussion, but in my view military pay and retirement, if anything needs to be increased and if it must be cut, it should come after we've disbanded the departments of Energy, Education, Commerce, the EPA and of course Obamacare. Then we can talk.

jorge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Certainly a topic for discussion, but in my view military pay and retirement, if anything needs to be increased and if it must be cut, it should come after we've disbanded the departments of Energy, Education, Commerce, the EPA and of course Obamacare. Then we can talk.

Throw in TSA, and the IRS, then you're in a real discussion - and a valid one.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.