Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone have a set of these? How do they compare with the Leica 10x42s? I'm looking to buy a pair of binoculars for my brown bear hunt.

Last edited by colorado; 07/28/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have them. Love them. Could not get me to sell them. Have not compared them.

Alan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have had the 10x40 Classics and presently the Leica's.

The Classics are wonderful bins IMO.Hunted a pair of 10x40's for 20 years,and would do so again.

But IMHO they are outclassed by todays glass.May be my aging eyes but they just cannot stay with today's Leica 10x42 HD.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought one of the last NEW pair of Zeiss 10x40 Classics ever sold. Cabelas had the very last lot. I compared them extensively to the Leica Ultravids during the time that I owned them.

My opinion is that they are very close in optical quality, the edge going to the Leicas. The Leicas had slightly better color rendition, less flare(light pollution),but resolution and brightness was a wash.

The Zeiss Classic was superior to the Ultravid in ergonomics, compactness, focus mechanism, and are just plain cooler. Ultravids have a dreadful, ratchedy focus mechanism.

I wish I would never have sold the Zeiss but was I cash strapped at the time.

I highly recommend them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Ultravids have a dreadful, ratchedy focus mechanism.....

I noticed the same thing on a brand new pair of Ultravid HD's and thought maybe it was just one sample. That would bug the crap outta me, especially considering their price tag.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Zeiss 10x40's are pretty tough to beat- but they don't hold up optically in low-light conditions to the Leica glass.
I own the Geovid 10x42's, and after I got them, I compared them side by side to my Zeiss.
In bright light, the two are pretty comparable. It is only in very dim light that the differences become apparent.

That said, the Zeiss can be had for far less coin than the Leicas. If just the bear hunt is your objective, then spring for the Zeiss. If you want a lifetime binocular that you will use for everything, especially in low light conditions, then go with Leica. You won't be sorry.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny how we all notice different things.....I've had the exact same bins and thought the optics were just plane better on the HD's.

Never noticed the superior ergo's,nor the ratchety focus either......

I must be getting old.. frown either that or I don't give a shidt anymore..about nuanced stuff grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by colorado
Anyone have a set of these? How do they compare with the Leica 10x42s? I'm looking to buy a pair of binoculars for my brown bear hunt.

You have your eyes on a pair? I know they haven't been made in a few years, maybe you found a hidden stash?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I bought one of the last NEW pair of Zeiss 10x40 Classics ever sold. Cabelas had the very last lot. I compared them extensively to the Leica Ultravids during the time that I owned them.

My opinion is that they are very close in optical quality, the edge going to the Leicas. The Leicas had slightly better color rendition, less flare(light pollution),but resolution and brightness was a wash.

The Zeiss Classic was superior to the Ultravid in ergonomics, compactness, focus mechanism, and are just plain cooler. Ultravids have a dreadful, ratchedy focus mechanism.

I wish I would never have sold the Zeiss but was I cash strapped at the time.

I highly recommend them.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw a pair in the classified here today for something like $375..

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Yep, I bought those. I can't wait to get them. They are some nice glass and I wont have to worry about banging them up.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The classics do fine for me. Knowing where and when to look is much more important than having the latest and greatest glass.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SpeedGoat
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Yep, I bought those. I can't wait to get them. They are some nice glass and I wont have to worry about banging them up.

You do realize that pair is not even phase corrected, right? Just about as old school as you can get in a roof prism bino.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The pair I ran for 19-20 years were not phase coated,and for years worked fine...but toward the end I compared them with a phase coated model and the differences were apparent.

Eyes change over time as we age,and before I picked up the Leica's, I had one of the Cabela's Zeiss Classics 10x40, so had them both to compare.

For me, and my eyes, they were still simply not in the same class with the Leica's. Were they good? Sure they were...just not as good as the Leica's...for me that is.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
The classics do fine for me. Knowing where and when to look is much more important than having the latest and greatest glass.

Exactly - couldn't agree more.

I did have a set of these however and I'm thinking that these continue to sell well in the used market based on name alone. A Pentax SP is better optically and honestly I think they are middle of the road at best. Start talking some of the new makers, ProMaster/Zen's, etc. they'll eat up a pair of "classics" in the optics department.

Everyone's different however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alot of their popularity here was due to them being on Big Stick's preferred equipment list.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The reality doesn't match the hype... most overrated bin I've ever used.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's what I mean. Guys jump at this "as new in box" for 500 when there are new 200 bins that are better, not to mention newer Zeiss, Leica and Swaro.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
The reality doesn't match the hype... most overrated bin I've ever used.

Amen to that, I totally concur.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The reality is that Classics have found a lot of guys a lot of good animals. No hype about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 23 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,985
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.