Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Long story short the farm I had promission to hunt coyotes on was sold to a developer. State land only now for me. Which means I can only use a 22LR or smaller rim fire only. I am thinking about picking up a Ruger 77/17 to use. My shots will be at most 200 yards. Looks like a 20gr pill would get the job done. Have any of you used a set-up like this and your thoughts on it?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Quick question, why are you relegated to rimfire only on state land?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Wouldnt a 22 Mag be better?

My 17HMR was recalled and I am having them rebarreled to 22 Mag. It was a better option than taking the 50% of value offer than Remington put out there.

The gunsmith has had my 2 rifles for over 8 months waiting on barrels from Remington. He got 30 barrels a few months ago, but he has two pallets of guns to redo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shotgun...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Popcorn time. eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not yet...wait...... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

OK, I'll be patient. I know it is going to happen. I'll run down to the store and get some beer too grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
On public land down here were limited to rimfire or shotgun during small game. That's when its definitely scatter gun time....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
22mag is not an opition. CT law says no rifles larger the .22lr rimfire. Why well because it is CT of course. Shotgun isn't good on the pelts. Not to mention sorta long shot for a shotgun at 200yards.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That's an easily loopholed rule, larger in bullet diameter or case capacity?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
No it is pretty clear "rifles or handguns using larger or heavier than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited on state-owned land" "Note that it is legal to use .17 caliber rimfire firearms in all situations where it is legal to use .22 caliber rimfire long rifle firearms."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Coppied from CT hunting regulations:

"Rifles and Handguns- Rifles or handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited on state-owned land. Rifles or handguns of any caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions). The use of rifles or handguns to hunt turkeys, waterfowl, or any other federally regulated migratory game bird (except crows) is prohibited. The use of handguns to hunt deer is prohibited. Hunting on private land with ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle during the private land shotgun/rifle deer season is prohibited unless the user has a valid private land deer season permit and landowner consent form. The use of rifles to hunt deer is subject to additional restrictions (see Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Season). The use of ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle to hunt raccoon or opossum at night is prohibited. A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry. Note that it is legal to use .17 caliber rimfire firearms in all situations where it is legal to use .22 caliber rimfire long rifle firearms."

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
BSA that would be correct. I just didn't feel like typing out all that from the regs book.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

Dang...I may have to seek personal enlightenment on this controversial subject...maybe tomorrow morning??? I just got my one & only HMR about a month and a half ago...(no...not blow job) & it looks as though I'm just gonna have to take one for the team...Only shot targets, rocks, clays so far...but I can tell you straight up that I damn sure wouldn't wanna take one of those little Vmax's to the chest...even at two hundred yards...

ETA: I know a sample of one or two isn't gonna add up to much experience, so I guess I'll stick with it all year...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 07/30/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
22mag is not an opition. CT law says no rifles larger the .22lr rimfire.

Well...that explains it...looking at your handle I thought you were in MT....if thats the case in CT definitely go with the 17 HMR....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
BSA that would be correct. I just didn't feel like typing out all that from the regs book.

Just copy and paste my friend. It's too bad you are limited like that in your state. I feel for you. I guess you really don't have too much of an option other than going with a 22 lr h.p (one I've had luck with was the yellow jacket, way back in the day when all I had was a 30-06, 22lr, and a 12 gauge shotgun). Now that things have changed I'd much rather use a 22 magnum over just about anything else (when your saving the pelts). Especially if you get them within 150 yards or so. The 17 HMR works but you have to be more sellective with the bullets: Meaning use the heavier ones.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The CZ 455 that I got in .17 HMR is very accurate with the 20 gr hp.

I got it for CT state land also but I have not hunted with it.

If you live near Western CT you could drive just over the line into NY. They have lots of good farms there and allow Sunday hunting as well.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Man, looks to me like up there one would have to carry the hunting regs to a lawyer before trying to interpret on ones own....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Considering how piss-weak an HMR is, at 200 yards, even on prairie dogs, coyotes at 200 aren't really an option. Time for you to move to another state with logical regulations.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Now THAT makes more sense....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 1lessdog, 02bfishn, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.