Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My experience with the HMR has been with two coyotes that I shot at ranges of 15-35 on broadside standing shots, they ran off.

I went back to a 22 Magnum with Winchester 40g HP, great results from then on.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
So you missed the head clean?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by keith
My experience with the HMR has been with two coyotes that I shot at ranges of 15-35 on broadside standing shots, they ran off.

I doubt you hit those coyotes then. In fact, I doubt your 'story' completely.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What's so hard to beleive. If you've hunted coyote long enough and seen bunches of them shot, then you'll see broadside shot/lung shot coyotes sometimes run a long ways before they roll up. Many times, they'll do the death spin, then take off running, and that's after being hit by anything from a .223 to a 22-250 to a .243. It's certainly takes no stretch of imagination to beleive a coyote being hit broadside by a .17 hmr running a long ways without leaving much if any blood trail.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't doubt they ran off. I wonder why at 15 to 35 yards you wouldn't head shoot em.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I don't doubt they ran off. I wonder why at 15 to 35 yards you wouldn't head shoot em.

Have you called many coyotes? The head is the most animated part of their body, other than their legs. Coyotes are seldom not in some form of motion. They're running in, slowing to a trot, throwing the nose up for the wind, looking one way - then another, and grabbing another gear when they get "hincky." If/when they do stop, you may have 3-5 seconds before they're moving again. Throw timber and/or heavy brush in the mix and that headshot opportunity gets slim and slimmer by the second. And remember, you using are field shooting positions where things aren't as tidy as back at the benchrest on the range. Yes, I've shot plenty in the head too. Some even with a .22 Long Rifle. However, if I had to absolutely depend upon the headshot only, a whole bunch of coyotes would still be running after fawn deer right now.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The doubtfull part of some of these posts is that switching to ANY 22 magnum load will somehow result in more coyotes recovered.

It damn sure will not- at least with body hits.. You get the same percentage of runners as with a 17HMR. A 22 magnum is not a 22- 250. In terms of ft bls generated, it's literally HALF the cartidge that the little 22 Hornet is and that's not known for being a hammer on Coyotes, either.

If you want coyotes to drop right there- use something from a 223 on up with frangible slugs.

As for those who say head shots are not practical with a 17HMR- BS. When you call a coyote they are generally looking RIGHT at the source of the sound and pretty much lock on that. Especially at rimfire ranges . Their head does not move that much.

Last edited by jim62; 08/10/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by keith

If you used the 17g Plastic pointed loads it's probably because the slugs came apart too fast on a tough target at close range. Very much like lightly constructed bullets do in magnum deer cartridges up close. I have even seen it hitting jack rabbits on the shoulders inside of 50 yards with the 17g plastic point slugs. As ranges increase and the slugs slow down, they actually expand less violently and penetrate better.

It's best to use either the 17g HP TNT bullets or the 2og game point slugs. They are a bit tougher and perform more consistently up close on bigger animals.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62
... As for those who say head shots are not practical with a 17HMR- BS. When you call a coyote they are generally looking RIGHT at the source of the sound and pretty much lock on that. Especially at rimfire ranges . Their head does not move that much.

Since we're calling bullshit - there it is. Jim, your post strikes me as "pissy." Sure they lock on the source of the sound and are looking at or for it - while they're advancing, quartering to or quartering from, or retreating. The entire time they are working that nose, which is attached to the head btw. I don't see coyotes lay around or sit on their ass for extended periods of time within easy range while approaching a calling set-up. When speaking of brain shots... Once again, head shot means "brain shot" not just anywhere in the punkin' blowing a jaw up, poking out an eye, or piercing an ear. Brain shot, which is a fairly small target, moving, and from field shooting positions. All the while doing so in cover of some sort, brush, tall grass, standing timber, crops, ect. I never said it was impossible, in fact I've done it. What I did say was, it is complicated and will cost a lot of otherwise good opportunities.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
... As for those who say head shots are not practical with a 17HMR- BS. When you call a coyote they are generally looking RIGHT at the source of the sound and pretty much lock on that. Especially at rimfire ranges . Their head does not move that much.

Since we're calling bullshit - there it is. Sure they lock on the source of the sound and are looking at or for it - while they're advancing, quartering to or quartering from, or retreating. The entire time they are working that nose, which is attached to the head btw. I don't see coyotes lay around or sit on their ass for extended periods of time within easy range while approaching a calling set-up. When speaking of brain shots... Once again, head shot means "brain shot" not just anywhere in the punkin' blowing a jaw up, poking out an eye, or piercing an ear. Brain shot, which is a fairly small target, moving, and from field shooting positions. All the while doing so in cover of some sort, brush, tall grass, standing timber, crops, ect. I never said it was impossible, in fact I've done it. What I did say was, it is complicated and will cost a lot of otherwise good opportunities.

An my point was that using a 22 mag will not improve anything in that regard..

If you want to be able to consistently put down a Coyote from any angle and "maximize" your opportunities- use a 25-06.

Just about anything smaller requires that you WILL have to pass up certain shots due to the shot angle- even on the body.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

As for those who say head shots are not practical with a 17HMR- BS. When you call a coyote they are generally looking RIGHT at the source of the sound and pretty much lock on that. Especially at rimfire ranges . Their head does not move that much.

I agree with jim62 here. Have called plenty of coyotes in and have never found it that tough a shot in field conditions. Then again I am not a benchrest guy anyways. There is also some state land here were I don't call at all. No reason to there are enough of them running around at sunrise and sunset. They are pretty relaxed when in this state of mind also. But even if the coyote is moving around a bit at 15-35 yards I can wait it out for the time for me to squeez off my shot. But I have never killed a coyote with a rifle at less then 50 yards. The bow is hell on them out to 45 yards so far.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Since we're calling bullshit - there it is. Jim, your post strikes me as "pissy." Sure they lock on the source of the sound and are looking at or for it - while they're advancing, quartering to or quartering from, or retreating. The entire time they are working that nose, which is attached to the head btw. I don't see coyotes lay around or sit on their ass for extended periods of time within easy range while approaching a calling set-up. When speaking of brain shots... Once again, head shot means "brain shot" not just anywhere in the punkin' blowing a jaw up, poking out an eye, or piercing an ear. Brain shot, which is a fairly small target, moving, and from field shooting positions. All the while doing so in cover of some sort, brush, tall grass, standing timber, crops, ect. I never said it was impossible, in fact I've done it. What I did say was, it is complicated and will cost a lot of otherwise good opportunities.

doubletap on slow internet. Sorry.

Last edited by GregW; 08/10/11.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GregW

Threads like this make it quite easy to separate the Field and Streamer's and the callers who have been in and around a variety of calling situations and terrain.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
" Their head does not move that much "....

I love that.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
" Their head does not move that much "....

I love that.... grin

In terms of the total amount of time a coyote is standing still for ANY shot, no- their head is not moving around all that much. Usually they are locked on the source of the call. And, if they have decided to commit and come in close enough to be taken with a rimfire, that is doubly so.

Also,in most calling situations, their head is the LEAST likely body part to be obscured by the terrain..

A head shot just is not that hard to get in a situation like that- especially with something as accurate and flat shooting as most 17HMRs.

Last edited by jim62; 08/10/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there a loophole where you might be able to use a muzzleloader?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MCH,

i know of several guys who thought, for one reason or another, that the .17 hmr might be nifty for shooting coyotes under certain circumstances...

i know for a fact that most of them abandoned the idea...

i live in northwest illinois, and can use any rifle that i choose on coyotes...
i still find the calling easier and better on our trips out to south dakota... for a lot of reasons.... you might consider it...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree it's not enough gun. I've wounded a few with the rifle because that's all I had available when I spotted them, but when I hunt coyotes, I use my .223.
It's only fair and humane..................

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Centerfire is not an option for me. No way around it, I follow the laws. Yes I can use muzzle loader and shotgun. I am going to give the .17HMR with 20gr a try and keep my shots at under 75 yards. I was using a .17rem when hunting private land. It worked great for me. So I think if I keep the range down to under 100 yards it will be ok. According to Hornady's website they list the 20gr @ 100 yards to be 1776FPS with 140ft lb energy.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Use the ML, then.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.