Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hey VA,

I thought Raisuli was our latest tactical genius. His Manifesto of brilliance he posted in the thread he started proclaims such.

Interesting for a person who goes about unarmed in a community that sees no crime. Or at least that he is oblivious to....

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Amazing how many folks end up dead/robbed/raped/etc, in "safe places", huh?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I live in a very statistically safe place, I am ALWAYS armed also just so I don't become the exception that proves the rule!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
I live in a very statistically safe place, I am ALWAYS armed also just so I don't become the exception that proves the rule!
Exactly.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Affirmative and I do it with (*GASP*) a revolver a goodly portion of the time. Amazing the confidence one can build in an inferior platform.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by NH K9

Affirmative and I do it with (*GASP*) a revolver a goodly portion of the time. Amazing the confidence one can build in an inferior platform.

George

Assuming, of course, that you have half-a-clue and actually practice a bit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I too live in a safe place. High crime here is parking in a no parking zone. I still do not leave the house unarmed.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Bad schit can, and does, happen even in the "safest" places (I know I'm preachign to the choir here---double apologies to Derby for a religious reference grin ).

I carried prior to, but an incident in a little town called Colebrook involving an azzhole named Drega made me a full-time believer.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I carry not because I think I need to. I carry because it is not only my right but I believe it may well be my duty.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Exactly.

As my wife, who was maligned in the fool's other thread and he's not man enough to retract or say it to my face, puts it:

"Carrying is simply a more full expression of my inalienable rights."

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have never met your wife but I know some who have and I trust their opinions just as I trust yours. Look forward to the day I get to sit around a real campfire with the both of you. I am sure I will not be disappointed.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
You will meet her soon, my friend.

We are looking forward to it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NH K9
Bad schit can, and does, happen even in the "safest" places (I know I'm preachign to the choir here---double apologies to Derby for a religious reference grin ).

I carried prior to, but an incident in a little town called Colebrook involving an azzhole named Drega made me a full-time believer.

George

grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott F
I too live in a safe place. High crime here is parking in a no parking zone. I still do not leave the house unarmed.

I'm like you Scott I live in a low crime area. The odds of me having to use a weapon for personal defense is low. The most dangerous thing I run into is dang dogs. In my case if I chose to carry for personal defense I would carry a Walther PPK or a Sig P232 both in .380.

If I lived in a rough neighborhood with tough nuts I would carry 1911 something like a Bill Wilson carry or even a modern Colt 1873 in .45 with 4 and 3/4" barrel for personal defense. Why the 1873? It's the only revolver that fits my hand and is specifically designed for point and shoot.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Some of you guys need to study the gun fights of the Old West especially the decades of the 70's and 80's and what worked and what didn't. The guns may have changed, the cast of characters may have changed, but the basic scenarios have not.
The winners were usually not the fast draws, but those who could keep their cool and take careful aim when they fired. As true today as it was then, I'd imagine.

Oh absolutely. There wasn't a whole bunch of quick draw if any at all. I've only seen two rigs from that period that could be called quick draw. One was a shoulder holster and one was the belt slide that a Colt with an over size screw head fit into. I don't know just how fast that was.

Guns of the time period that were used for personal defense were small short barrel hand guns. Some of rather large caliber such as the Store Keeper or Sheriff's model and the Webley. Derringers were of course, popular. The personal defense guns were usually used at very close range and usually in saloons.

Of course, if one was going into a known shoot out such as the infamous OK Corral that's when the big iron came out which included the double barrel shot gun or even rifles.

Personal defense is close range from the end of your arm to about three feet more or less. Big iron isn't needed but if anybody wants to carry it by all means go ahead.

The original OP asked what was a person's favorite self defense or as I have found out personal defense and for me it's going to be a small gun that's light weight easy to carry and something I'll have with me at all times.

This is pretty much the last word as I've covered this every which way but lose.

I think perhaps it would be a good idea if a number of us were to quit reading the pulp magazines.
I have TWO colt's s.a.a. in 38wcf that are balistically the same as the 180 grain s&w 40.
Each one killed a man, one on whiskey row in prescott, the other in oklahoma. The one in prescott i have the holster for, normal western holster with the leather cut out for an exposed trigger guard. Interesting enough the half cock safety doesn't work.
The .45colt commercial round in the late 1800's was hotter than the military round, running a 250grain bullet at about 950fps and wasn't anemic by any sense. A colt is still a pretty fast point and shoot weapon in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.
The O.K. Corral aside how smart would you say matt dillon was to stand in the middle of the street and get shot at.
Try a double barrel shotgun from ambush in the back, the preferred way. As told to me as a kid in the 50's who were young men in the 90's in arizona.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.