Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If you had to name the one single best piece of equipment, clothing, firearms, boots, accessories, etc, that you have, what would it be? If everything else was stolen except for that, you would be a happy camper. If only that was stolen, you would be heartbroken. Do it from a functionality perspective and not a sentimental perspective please!

As I thought about it, I decided that my Beretta 390 12 ga is the No. 1 hunting thing that I own. I use it on waterfowl, upland, deer, target, you name it and it has delivered flawlessly every time. It fits me like a glove.

Honorable Mention (limit it to 1 please!): My Buck 118 hunting knife my dad gave me when I was 12. I have tried a lot of different knives and keep coming back to this one.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A camera. I've regretted not taking more and better pics more than anything else.

I can get the job done without cool camo, super accurate rifles or SBC7899000XYZ steel knives. But a bad camera takes bad pics and there's no way around that.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Boots.

It takes me too damned long to find some that fit my awkward-a$$ed feet. I could hunt in just about any clothes (yes, even blue jeans), make do with any recent optics, & find a 700 here on the fire that would fit me well enough & shoot straight enough for me to take most any game. Boots take a while for me, & poor-fitting ones could make a dream hunt feel like being trapped in an elevator with the former spouse.

Actually, this thread could be the impetus for a reality hunting show. Give the contestants $500 and 24 hours to accumulate their gear, then see who kills what with their setup.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What boots specifically? I thought it might be interesting to see what people really, REALLY like. More than interesting...educational even.

The camera idea was good! Which one?

Yeah, $500 huh? We would need to lay out the details (what to hunt, where, when, and for how long). I could present the scenario if a few want to do it and then we could judge who spent their money the wisest. For example, blue jeans would be free ( I assume everyone has them), but if you wanted the new Sitka gear, it is gonna cost ya!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My brain.....I can replace everything else.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/02/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My brain.....I can replace everything else.

Might wanna do a re-take...your brain misspelled everything... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Did I? shocked

Where?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
bastid.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Berettaman
What boots specifically? I thought it might be interesting to see what people really, REALLY like. More than interesting...educational even...

I'm rollin' with Asolo TPS 520's these days. In fact, I just got back from the store, where I ordered some 1 size bigger than the pair I bought last month. It's a total b!tch to lay out the $ like that 'til I find the sweet spot, only to have them change all the styles & sizes by the time I need new boots. mad

If we're doing reality shows, we also ought to have one where we get all the .22 cal proponents together, & have them hunt DG 'til one of 'em gets stomped. My guess is we'd witness far more critters dying than we would have expected. Whether it would be 2-legged or 4-legged critters? Well, that would have to play itself out...

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boots, by either Ecco or Merril.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It would be boots for me also, either White's or Danners. I have 2 pair of the White's, the Smokejumpers & the Hunter model....I think.

Dick

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Boots for me Kenetrek Hard Scrabble and then bino's

Last edited by ehunter; 08/02/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good bino's.....my knees are chit, they save me more miles than anything....can always borrow a gun on short notice....ppl are less happy bout lending their good optics cause then they dont have them to use....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boots; when I am hunting down east in flat country (95% of the time) I simple love the old (sadly now discontinued) Browning upland style green kangaroo leather boots - as comfortable as moccasins, Goretex lined, enough thinsulate for winters in the south and light weight to walk in all day. For rough country I have been using a pair of military spec Matterhorn combat boots for 11 or 12 years - great for colder weather and lots of rock.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My truck....I don't know what I would do without it.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leica 8x32 Ultravid's... but at the end of the day it's all replaceable and just "stuff."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife. She's a much better hunter than I am, and a great camp companion as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Probably my hunting fanny pack that I ordered from Cabelas years ago. I have god knows what stashed away in that thing. Just about everything I need for a days outing including light survival gear and tools and repair items. It rides in my truck usually from Oct. til Feb. It's held up great and goes with me everywhere when I am in the outdoors.

A man's got to know his limitations!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice John.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Tree Saddle.

It simply allows me to hunt longer and in more places than anything else.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,116
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.