Swaro 10x42's.

Dink

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Lotsa boots and lotsa binocs. I guess that makes good sense. I have pretty strong feelings for my boots too; Schnees Beartooths.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
compass -or boots.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
an Apex ladder stand with a suspension type seat and back, second Cabellas MT050 Whitetail extreme Goretex lined Bib overalls and coat. For stand hunting in December, nothing beats them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Boots are most important, rifle is probably the "best."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by doubletap
My hearing aids. I can hear things in the woods that I haven't heard in years. I can hear when I've been still long enough for the birds and small animals to return to their normal activities. And, I can hear the noise that I make; I'm not as quiet as I once thought.

I need to get a pair of those. I have lost some of my hearing and I'm sure I make more noise than I think I do.

As far as gear goes my first thought would be a "strong back", but I have to say it's a toss up between a camera, boots and good maps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My gun safe. I would be heartbroken since it contains my Swaros, Zeiss, 3 7x57s, my camera, a Hi-Power, a Colt...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
BristeCD, that is cheating. Pick one!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got some "walkin' horses" that I'm partial to...

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good, lightweight compass that WORKS. I have several but my current favorite IIRC is a Brunton. It's a little round plastic job without all that extra gadgetry and bulk so common on many compasses found in stores. It liquid filled, resolves quickly, and stops there (no spinning).

Second is my Mini-Mag 2-AA flashlight. If the moon is below the horizon, I can't see the compass without a light. I would rather sleep in my bed when the hunt is over. This combo has seen me back many times. If I go out in unfamiliar country, I take my Garmin Etrex HC.

Of course these things are not absolutely necessary to kill game animals, but they sure are nice when it gets real dark in the woods.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My truck...I'd hate having to walk to the trailhead

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Although I would say boots and or pack would be among the top of the list, I am still yet to find a pair of boots that has simply stunned me... My Cabelas Elk Hunters by Danner have been great, but on 5+ mile days I develop blisters or hot spots. My Eberlestock Dragonfly is awesome, but on heavy loads the straps leave something to be desired (they are 'soft' and fold twist and turn easily and need more padding). Most any Remington bolt ,(721, 700, 788 etc) will most likely shoot straight enough....

Having said that, I would say my Leica Optics are most important... Duovids, spotting scope and range finder. If you cant see it, you cant shoot it.

Second would probably be my Springfield XD-40... I hunt near the border and carry this pistol every second I am out there.. I have never needed it in a self defense type of scenario, but if I ever do, I trust my life on it and that is comforting knowing it is on my hip at all times.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I carry a 10' piece of plastic rope. you know the type one would buy at Walmart. After gutting deer, and taking heart and liver, I tie through shank and throw the other end over a limb, and pull the deer up into a tree. With the deer off the ground, over the next hour and a half or so I am easily able to rough butcher the deer, and get all meat into my backpack, and eventually into the veggie crisper of my refer... Much easier as I can now take days to process my deer, to get it gight.. Also, a good marriage saver, without a hairy bloody mess!!!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
tscott,
boy, you wouldnt do that with one of our whitetails unless you played in the NFL!

But let me ask you this.....the original purpose of this thread is which piece of equipment have you fallen in love with and could not bear to part with. Does the rope fall into this category?

I think I phrased it like this....if every piece of your hunting equipment was stolen but this one item, you would still be happy....and if only this piece was stolen and everything else left, you would be sad.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My adjustable Treestand rifle rest by GS3 Hunting Products!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
health. without it everything else doesn't matter, and you don't realize how valuable it is until you lose it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
+1 on health. Getting hit with Rheumatoid arthritis at 32 was a game changer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if i tossed a coin, it'd be either my danner boots or my osage orange walking stick...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My wife. She's a much better hunter than I am, and a great camp companion as well.

I see that John's wife must read his posts. grin

In sticking with the original point of the thread, the one piece of hunting equipment I would hate to loose the most would be my Pre-64 M70 Echols Legend in 270 Winchester.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OK .... I would be sad to lose the Compass that my Dad used in the Battle of the Bulge... I've shot deer mostly in NY, ND, Minn. (Detroit Lakes)..and now in retirement in NC... Deer are pretty much the same size, except for the very big ones... Those only get about 3/4ths off the ground, still an advantage...Also, those who say healthare + right on!!!... I am so lucky at 64... Thank my lucky stars, that I am still able to hunt alone in deep woods and pack my deer out!!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.