Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi derby dude,

That is an excellent link.

There are two schools of thought of bear defense. I fish in the High Sierra where black bears are common. Thank God I have not had a bear encounter. But were I to get into the back country, I would go prepared.

Black bears are not as difficult to dispatch as griz; however, they can be more deadly. Many fisherman use one and done handguns. These guns are characterized has being chambered for massive rounds. The problem is that they're difficult to bring to battery in a hurry and recoil prevents quick and accurate follow up shots. Thus, if a survivor's first shot with a one and done handgun is a miss another accurate shot becomes doubtful.

I just returned from another High Sierra fishing trip. I took a 1911A1 with 230 grain +P LE ammo. I know that there are far better handgun rounds, but my reasoning is speed to battery, sight picture retention (very crucial), and extremely fast and accurate follow up shots. Moreover, I can reload 8 more rounds in less than 2 seconds.

Were I to fish where girz lives, I would not feel comfortable with a handgun. I would much prefer an 870 with slugs or a Guide Gun with Buffalo Bore rounds. Girz is a horse of a very different color. They are much more difficult to dispatch. Therefore, a shoulder weapon makes more sense, at least it does to me.

Another factor with big bore handguns for bear defense is dedication to proficiency. I have fired .41 Mag, .44 Mag, & .454 Casull handguns, all with heavy rounds. I know that it would take wearisome practice to become proficient to the degree necessary to feel comfortable using such a weapon for bear defense.

A survivor must keep in mind that a bear encounter is almost always a close range deal, which is why speed to battery is so important. Bears can run as fast as quarter horses, which is why sight picture retention is crucial. At close range it is crucial to stop a bear's charge, which usually requires a CNS hit. Hence, any handgun round capable of penetrating a bear's skull or neck at close range will work. And here is why I prefer a weapon that remains on target and can put a lot of rounds on target in a huge hurry.

As in all use of deadly force encounter, avoidance is always my first option. However, with bears, it is likely that they will stalk a survivor, which means very quick and decisive reaction.

I will be back in the High Sierra a few more times this season in pursuit of elusive trophy German brown trout. Many times I have caught myself in such intense focus on fish that I am at loss of my surroundings. Sasquatch could sneak up behind me & I wouldn't know it. This means that it is not unlikely that my only shot, if I am lucky enough to get one, will be a contact shot while a bear is trying to kill me. Were such an unfortunate attack occur, it would be imperative that I can bring my weapon to battery and fire in a heartbeat, which might just be all the time I have remaining above ground.

And who says trout fishing in bear country ain't potentially life threatening???

BTW, in CA it is legal for fishermen to carry handguns while fishing. We need a federal law that allows fishermen to carry handguns and shotguns for bear defense while fishing in all national parks and all federal lands.

John Locke first penned that the right to life is a natural right that comes from God. Government lacks authority to interfere with our natural right to life. Thomas Jefferson recognize our natural rights, and he included them in the Declaration of Independence. James Madison forever memorialized our right to keep and bear arms, which means carrying them, in order to assure our natural right to life. Fishermen must be able to defend themselves from all threats to life while back country fishing.

Take care,

R

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Headache
T Lee,

I was wrong! It has been many years since I have be at Wildey and after reviewing their websight I see that they do offer it in the 44AMP. My bad.

Headache

As I said, we were both a little off, no biggie now that we are on the straight & narrow. smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm sorry, but taking on a human being on the street is nothing like taking on a tough old grizzly determined to get a piece of you. E

I do believe you misread my words......or maybe i didn't make it clear enough......i was referring to the reliability of the 1911 and the enlarged version of the LAR.

But to rebut your thought.......there are human individuals in various alleys and battlefields around the world just as determined to kill you as an enraged grizzly......maybe not in the same manner but with the same focus.

Last edited by chapped_lips; 08/08/11.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (29aholic, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 25 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.