Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
I switched from the foam "WipeOut" to the liquid "PatchOut", the same stuff but less messy to use.
Both are great from removing copper

Same here. Same reason. I run two wet patches in the bore and let it sit for most of the day. Then run clean patches until dry.

Kelly
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just use the applicator spout with WipeOut. No mess at all, couldn't be easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=237658

Last edited by prm; 08/07/11.
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Comparisons to the gunslick version?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I've been using it since it first came out and after spraying it through muzzle the first time and getting some into the action, I knew I had to find a better way. I found some clear vinyl tubing that just fits the nozzle and is a tight slip fit into the throat of 30 cal rifles. When inserted into the throat/chamber through the loading port, a piece about 10" long works great and keeps the foam out of the action, etc. For those cartridges smaller than 30 cal, the tube simply jams up against the shoulder and seals off the chamber. Works like a champ.

I use Shooter's Choice (SC) first to get rid of most of the powder fouling. I run a couple of patches wet with SC though the barrel, let it sit for a few minutes; then another wet patch followed by a bore brush wet with SC for 10-20 strokes. Two or three dry patches to dry it out followed by the Wipeout. I usually let it sit overnight. If I get major "color" out of the barrel after the first application, it gets another dose usually with the rifle upside down to ensure the top of the barrel stays wet with solution (make sure bore is sloped slightly downhill toward the muzzle to keep it out of the action). I like the way it works so much, I always make sure I have a spare can on hand. The last few times I've ordered it, a plastic straw has been included which is probably intended to do the same thing as my vinyl tube. As someone else has mentioned (and I've read but have no first hand experience) it can attack some oil-type stock finishes but I have gotten it on some of the urethane type finishes with no adverse effects (Rem 700,Wby MK V, etc.). I'm REALLY careful in using it in my military rifles normally using it only when they're fully disassembled.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by noKnees

I have found the WipeOut to be more aggressive.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Just use the applicator spout with WipeOut. No mess at all, couldn't be easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=237658

Bingo. I never unerstood people's complaints about the mess. Just use one of these, and there is absolutely no mess to speak of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rest the gun in a vise with the action open and muzzle slightly down. Put an 8" piece of rubber surgical tube on the Wipeout nozzle and stick the other end into the breech. Hold it tight to the breech, it will seal somewhere in the forcing cone, and give about a healthy 1 second burst. Hold the tube until the Wipeout stops expanding out of the muzzle then remove the tube. This method keeps the stuff out of the action and cuts down on waste.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Patch-Out along with the Accelerater...I generally like it, but be aware its says that it contains a rust inhibitor and that there is no need to oil after cleaning...I tried this approach and had constant problems with rust on my SS Howa...Once I started oiling again, problem solved..

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by noKnees

Out of curiosity I just ran some Wipe-Out in a barrel that had been cleaned with Gunslick a couple of months ago. No new powder or copper came out. However, I did notice a tiny bit of rust eek Definitely need to run some CLP after the Gunslick. I think the Gunslick directions suggest that, my bad. I've never seen that with Wipe-Out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used both WO and GunSlick quite a bit, and they're about the same IMO. WO may be ever-so-slightly more aggressive, but it's tough to say for sure.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just tighten my rifle up in the vise, with a level barrel, pull the bolt and insert the bore guide, give the Wipe Out a 1 sec burst into the muzzle until the foam just starts to come out the bore guide, then release. Foam out the muzzle and just a bit out the bore guide.

Then patch it out after anywhere from 1 to 12 hours...

No mess, no fuss...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I remember reading something negative about the Wipe Out Accellerator. I had used it and didn't have a problem.

Does anyone have info on that?

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can't leave it in the barrel for extended periods.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pete E
I use Patch-Out along with the Accelerater...I generally like it, but be aware its says that it contains a rust inhibitor and that there is no need to oil after cleaning...I tried this approach and had constant problems with rust on my SS Howa...Once I started oiling again, problem solved..

Pete the rust issues were due to the accelerator agent.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've never used the foam Wipe Out, but I've heard lots of good things bout it. That being said, I've been using WipeOut's liquid Patch Out for several years now and I love it. I've never tried their accelerator, but I've had great luck just using the Patch Out. A local gun shop recommended it and I was as impressed as they told me I'd be. It's one of the products I have nothing bad to say about.

As someone else mentioned it is hard to find. The only place online I've found it is Midway, and then two local shops carry it. One of them which is the one I get it from sells it for $10 a bottle so it's cheaper than Midway since it's the same price and you don't pay shipping, and the other store wants like $17 and some change for a bottle. Other than that I've never seen it anywhere. However, if you can find somewhere that sells it, I'd recommend trying it.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I found it on cheaper than dirt and ordered both Patchout and wipeout. Should be here the first of next week. Thanks for the input.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Patch Out makes gun cleaning surprisingly, and fortunately, easy.

Almost doesn't seem fair. We were taught from childhood that hard sweat and tears would result in a great outcome.

Well, with Patch Out, we get the great outcome easily.

Who knew?

Actually, it appears that a lot of those at the Fire did.

Steve

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been using WipeOut for years; makes gun cleaning fast & efficient. Also use the Patch Out version on some guns where it is more convenient. Great stuff!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd hate to see some of you work on cars. How hard is it to squirt a little cleaner in the muzzle, and stuff a rag in action?

The can has a little funnel around the nozzle, put funnel against barrel, push down on button. Let soak, send patch down tube.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I'd hate to see some of you work on cars. How hard is it to squirt a little cleaner in the muzzle, and stuff a rag in action?

The can has a little funnel around the nozzle, put funnel against barrel, push down on button. Let soak, send patch down tube.

Heck, we even have a member who has trouble opening a box of bullets... wink

John

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,567 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,482
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.