Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 28 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 27 28
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've been needing for a while to do something about my weight, and while I don't want to sound like a cheerleader or try to dominate RRRoaes' thread, I want to keep up a level of mutual encouragement among the contestants, not for the prize money, but for the physical results.

Hey man, this isn't my thread. It's for all of us who are tired with how far we've let ourselves go.

And any support you throw out there is appreciated. Hope more give encouragement. It sure as hell helps me and I'm sure it helps others.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know that I have lost more than 3" inches in my waist and about 30 pounds and I have much more energy

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
I have been dieting for about 7 weeks & have lost 15 pounds. Certainly, not great but I'm staying away from ice cream, snacks, & candy. I can sympathise with an alcoholic. I crave sweets & when I eat the meal does not seem to be complete without a dessert. If I eat even a small piece of cake or candy I need more & more. I am working part time as a security officer & instructor so I take diet frozen meals with me. For snacks I eat a salad with a little diet dressing. My goal is to lose another 25 pounds. It will take a long time, but I plan to stay with my diet. Blood pressure is down (with med), but cholesterol is through the roof.

Tbear, in my opinion you're doing it right. Steady weight loss and not too much all at one time.

Keep at it bud. You lose the rest of that weight, you'll feel like a new man in both spirit and body.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've been needing for a while to do something about my weight, and while I don't want to sound like a cheerleader or try to dominate RRRoaes' thread, I want to keep up a level of mutual encouragement among the contestants, not for the prize money, but for the physical results.

Hey man, this isn't my thread. It's for all of us who are tired with how far we've let ourselves go.

And any support you throw out there is appreciated. Hope more give encouragement. It sure as hell helps me and I'm sure it helps others.

Thanks for that. Here, as in my personal life, I try to avoid stepping on others toes out of respect. Professionally it gets to be a different story though. wink

I will encourage away!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Is it cheating if i am in Physical Therapy? grin

What did you do? I know some folks who gave up on PT because it was "too hard", although I know for a fact that they were "too lazy". It's necessary sometimes.

I know a guy who had to do PT on his hand a few times a week for a good while. He punched a guy in a barfight and broke several bones, really jacking up his right hand in the process. He said he felt like such a sissy when folks around him were trying to learn to walk or stand up from their wheelchairs, while he sat in a chair and worked his hand with a pink dumbell. grin

Screwed up my back, have been hobbling for a few weeks.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I know that I have lost more than 3" inches in my waist and about 30 pounds and I have much more energy

Same with me!

The more I lose, the more energy I have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it cheating if i am in Physical Therapy? grin

What did you do? I know some folks who gave up on PT because it was "too hard", although I know for a fact that they were "too lazy". It's necessary sometimes.

I know a guy who had to do PT on his hand a few times a week for a good while. He punched a guy in a barfight and broke several bones, really jacking up his right hand in the process. He said he felt like such a sissy when folks around him were trying to learn to walk or stand up from their wheelchairs, while he sat in a chair and worked his hand with a pink dumbell. grin

Screwed up my back, have been hobbling for a few weeks.

Hope you get that back fixed up soon, Les. Been lucky so far regarding back problems. Sounds like a miserable thing to have to bear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I noticed the topic of fruit coming up frequently, especially when it involves the "sweet tooth" that many of us have. I'd imagine that most folks in this thread are fairly insulin resistant. Ingesting simple sugars from some fruits (not all) will likely cause rapid spikes in blood sugar, which leads to large releases of insulin, which in many sedentary/overweight individuals prohibits your body from metabolizing body fat and encourages body fat accumulation. No, fruit is not "bad", but it should be recognized for what it is, and some are a big source of simple sugar while others are really good sources of fiber. Simple sugars and many other carbs can't help but have those effects on our blood sugar and insulin levels, which is not a bad thing around exercise time. It is not a good thing around bedtime. My advice to a heavier individual who is probably insulin resistant to a fair degree is to limit fruit consumption after lunch and replace with vegetables. If you want to eat fruit in the PM, look for fruits higher in fiber that have a lower glycemic index, as not all fruits are equal. If the sweet tooth is unbearable, maybe try a protein shake or low-carb protein bar as an alternative. A can of fruit cocktail may actually hurt more than it helps. Just a tip, as it might help avoid those hunger swings and the associated peaks/valleys....

http://www.insulinresistanceweightloss.com/blog/food/healthy-nutrition/fruit-insulin-resistance

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've also cut my blood pressure #'s, with medication was running around 130 over 85, now down to 110 over 67. The doc has lowered the dosage and has stated that if I keep this up might even get off med's entirely (wahoo). I still eat a very small dish of Ice cream about 2 times a week and maybe even a small piece of pie. This seems to work to help that sugar craving with me. Just as a example the piece of pie is not but about 2" wide on the large end.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I noticed the topic of fruit coming up frequently, especially when it involves the "sweet tooth" that many of us have. I'd imagine that most folks in this thread are fairly insulin resistant. Ingesting simple sugars from some fruits (not all) will likely cause rapid spikes in blood sugar, which leads to large releases of insulin, which in many sedentary/overweight individuals prohibits your body from metabolizing body fat and encourages body fat accumulation. No, fruit is not "bad", but it should be recognized for what it is, and some are a big source of simple sugar while others are really good sources of fiber. Simple sugars and many other carbs can't help but have those effects on our blood sugar and insulin levels, which is not a bad thing around exercise time. It is not a good thing around bedtime. My advice to a heavier individual who is probably insulin resistant to a fair degree is to limit fruit consumption after lunch and replace with vegetables. If you want to eat fruit in the PM, look for fruits higher in fiber that have a lower glycemic index, as not all fruits are equal. If the sweet tooth is unbearable, maybe try a protein shake or low-carb protein bar as an alternative. A can of fruit cocktail may actually hurt more than it helps. Just a tip, as it might help avoid those hunger swings and the associated peaks/valleys....

http://www.insulinresistanceweightloss.com/blog/food/healthy-nutrition/fruit-insulin-resistance

Good info Jpro, thanks.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
178 on monday d 165 today, I have eatin nothing but beef and sourkrout, I have had 1 diet Mountain Dew and just water I walk 5 miles every night, i feel great, on the right track to look good again

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm in. Figure I weigh about 270, I'll get a solid starting weight posted tomorrow.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
5'11 267.2

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
178 on monday d 165 today, I have eatin nothing but beef and sourkrout, I have had 1 diet Mountain Dew and just water I walk 5 miles every night, i feel great, on the right track to look good again
Dang! I'm not the low man on the weight totem!!!! I'm up to 178. A couple more to go.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Down 5 pounds the first week. Mostly eating less and exercising more. Haven't really changed what I eat, just a lot less of it. Also, not eating anything at night and going to bed on an empty stomach. Doing hikes around the trails about 3-4 times a week and been busy running around a lot at work. Going to do this for week two and then start focusing on what I actually eat.

Good luck,
Rob

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pictures from recent hike, first right after work, second when done around sunset...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This 115 heat index has helped me lose 5lbs since Wednesday.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Down to 178LBS from 185lbs in about 1week...
Besides healthier food, cutting on soda and sweets I have been doing some weights and about 20minutes of cardio daily. That's on top of riding my bicycle to work daily (~6-7miles round trip), but that had been going for ~8months. Some days I will do about 1hour of hard Cardio and no weights.
Also have to schedule a physical/medicalexam for life insurance purposes (finally getting one now that we have 2 kids) and would rather look better than worse to them.
Keep up the good work guys!

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Start - 258.6
Week 1 - 254.8
Week 2 - 250.0

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rroae, you are on the roll, my man. Keep at it.

Start for me was 224
missed weigh in week one
weigh in week 2 (this morning) 220

Best wishes to all and determination.

JPros hints work for me.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 18 of 28 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
530 members (222ND, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,485
Posts18,529,727
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.