Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#5505981 - 08/09/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: Tom264]  
Tom264 Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tom264  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Drawer of first blood. Lol
Originally Posted by Tom264
Wanna answer this for me there mr. armchair hunter.

Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by Flinch
Yeah, but that can go with any shot. I busted a bull a couple of years ago in the arm pit with a 4 blade head, complete pass through. Very little blood, chased him for a couple of hours. Found him the next morning. The arrow had gone between the heart and lungs somehow.
Bull!!!

Your full of crap!

Show me HOW that happened!

[Linked Image]

Bump for the armchair hunter.

CMG 300 BP

#5508698 - 08/10/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: huntsonora]  
Flinch Offline
Campfire Tracker
Flinch  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Utah, U.S.A.
Bump for the professional client ass wiper and baby sitter. Congratulations? Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
#5508729 - 08/10/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: huntsonora]  
Flinch Offline
Campfire Tracker
Flinch  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Utah, U.S.A.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[quote=Flinch]

I dont know why I even respond to you Flinch, I feel like I'm beating up on a retarted kid.

I feel the same about you drumdum. I like pulling your pig tails, hearing you squeal like a little girl, then running to the teacher to tell on me. It's never not funny. I can cast my lure into the same pool over and over and you will keep biting the same hook. I don't even have to change the presentation. Now, who is the real idiot? Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
#5508922 - 08/10/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: Flinch]  
Tom264 Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tom264  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Flinch, no matter your lingo.... You will never be a bigstick.

Congratulations?

Laffin'

Btw gonna answer the question I asked?

#5515007 - 08/12/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: rost495]  
AkMtnHntr Offline
Campfire Kahuna
AkMtnHntr  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Alaska
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I once shot an elk in some brush at 32 yards that was off to my right and coming straight in. He didn't present me with a broadside shot and all I could see was from the middle of his front shoulder forward. He wasn't a huge elk (5x5) but he would be my first if I decided I could make the shot.

So I took the shot and put the arrow just under the right side and below his chin, into his neck. Completely blew out his jugular and he didn't go 100 yards before he piled up. That was the only shot I had and it was risky but I had the confidence to make it.

Moral is, just because someone takes a risky shot doesn't mean it's a bad shot to him, might be to someone else and they wouldn't take it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And with todays gear, if your shooting 6 arrows into a 1 1/2" group at 20 yards, your going to go through a [bleep] of arrows in no time. BTDT.

The juglar isn't maybe 3/8 inch wide at the most on an elk. could be half an inch. You are saying that on a wild animal, that will likely move at teh release of the arrow, you can nail that target every last time? I say you were damn lucky on that shot. I've been damn lucky too.
I didn't say I could make that shot every time, didn't even say I would TAKE that shot again but at that time I felt good about it so I took it. And luck had nothing to do with that shot, the arrow went right where I wanted it too, so how is that luck? I've had other opportunities on other game that were probably easier but factors played into it where I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot so I didn't.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Alpha

#5515777 - 08/12/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: Flinch]  
huntsonora Offline
Campfire Tracker
huntsonora  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Colorado
Originally Posted by Flinch
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[quote=Flinch]

I dont know why I even respond to you Flinch, I feel like I'm beating up on a retarted kid.

I feel the same about you drumdum. I like pulling your pig tails, hearing you squeal like a little girl, then running to the teacher to tell on me. It's never not funny. I can cast my lure into the same pool over and over and you will keep biting the same hook. I don't even have to change the presentation. Now, who is the real idiot? Flinch

So you say stupid [bleep] on purpose just to make me call you on it? Your dumber than any of us thought possible.

#5516198 - 08/12/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: huntsonora]  
Tom264 Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tom264  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Well apparently ol Flinch aint gonna answer my question.....you guys draw your own conclusion.....

I already have... wink

#5519288 - 08/13/11 Re: Straight on shots on elk, where they tie their bowtie. Thoughts? [Re: Tom264]  
Colorado1135 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Colorado1135  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

SW, SD
I've read most of this thread, and IMO a frontal shot is never a high percentage shot. I've killed several critters with everything but a crossbow. I took one frontal shot on a doe once, put the arrow exactly where I wanted it to go, and she did die.

looking back I shouldn't have taken the shot, yeah it worked but had it been different just a little bit it would have been bad news. I go with the odds, and a broadside shot trumps all. and really it has nothing to do with how confident you are with your shooting, you shouldn't even be out hunting with a bow if you can't put the arrows where you want them. but expecting nothing to change in the split second from the release to impact is wishful thinking at best. animals move, they raise or lower their heads, they side step, something could make them turn, you name it. chit happens. granted not all the time, but it can and does. I'm not about to risk wounding a deer or elk because of that factor.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
681 registered members (17Fan, 18sgd99, 1234, 10gaugemag, 175rltw, 78 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 570 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.