Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Steve:

You got 11 years out of a modern washing machine.

That's good in today's world.

Get another Meile. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have had 3 Washer Dryer combo's in almost 50 years of marriage, all have been Whirlpool. And if we out live the current set they will be replaced with.... you got it, Whirlpool.

And yep, top loader washer, LOTS less problems than the front stuffers.

Last edited by T LEE; 08/11/11. Reason: Edit reply

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
At our "fancy" place we have fancy, frontloading, expensive.
At our "simple" place, old-fashioned, toploading, reasonable.
The fancy place would be better with the simple machines.
Wife's opinion- she can get any kind she wants, and the good old
toploaders work better longer, for much less.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
My daughter did an exhaustive search, & decided on a LG steam cycle somethinerother. She's thrilled. FC

My sister has one of those LG washers with an (optional) steam cycle.

She really likes hers as well. The one she has (maybe there is only one model?) has a huge capacity, so if you want to wash sleeping bags, down jackets, or comforters, this would be one to consider.

During a visit to her, my clothes were all wrinkled from an over packed suitcase. A few minutes in the steam and they looked like new.

She has never had any problems with it, I think she has had it for at least 8 years (with heavy use: 3 in the family playing every field sport you can imagine).

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Maytag, top-loader, high-efficiency.

This is what I just bought a year ago really like it, front loaders have more problems.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by amax155
LG with the direct drive motor. We bought ours back in March and have been well pleased. They are now making the Sears kenmore washers and dryers.

We bought the Sears Kenmore version a few months ago. Great stuff so far.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

It seems like the weekness of the frontloaders is the drain pumps getting clogged. I did have to replace the controller on the dryer a few months back, but ordering one online was the same price as a service call.

that was the problem we had for the last two years....you'd have to re run the last drain cycle. but yesterday it just died....black screen, nada. with everybody home in the summer we do a ton of wash, so this is, like, a right now kind of problem which somehow has become mine.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
As a thoughtful gesture,you might consider asking your bevy of maids in charge of laundry which machine gets their thumbs up.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll never get another front loader. Too many service problems, doesn't clean as well as a top loader.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The wife and I bought new a Kenmore washer & dryer when we got married 27 years ago. We raised our kids with cloth diapers and even though I put a drum carrier bearing in the dryer a few years back it was still running when we replaced it last month. The washer gave up the ghost 3 years ago and both have been replaced with new kenmore's. Now I certainly expect that this new stuff won't last near as long but the first set sure went a long time. I don't think anything made today lasts as long as the old stuff. Like a water heater. First one was in the house when we bought it and it went a total of 34 years before being replaced. The replacement is starting to act up and it's only 8 years old.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only reason we are on our third set is a hurricane took the set before this one!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
As a thoughtful gesture,you might consider asking your bevy of maids in charge of laundry which machine gets their thumbs up.

you laugh, but the device must be operable by an ebonics speaker, who don't know nothin' 'bout readin' no manuals. if it has too many options, screens and flashing lights, she ain't gonna be able to work it. and then I'll be doing even more loads than I do now.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We have had a Samsung front loader for about 2 1/2 years and it is has been problem free and does a good job.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
that was the problem we had for the last two years....you'd have to re run the last drain cycle. but yesterday it just died....black screen, nada.

Okay, now we get the rest of the story.

You've bubba-ed it for two years and when it finally dies, you don't have a spare! wink

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought Maytag Atlantis Top loaders back in 2002 and they still look and work like new. The only work I had to do was replace one of the bearings on the dryer drum about two years ago. The part cost like five bucks and I installed it myself.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Steve, do you need front load or do you want front load? Reason is, most people I know that bought front load don't like them and would not buy again. Aside from the pump issue, the seal around the window continually hold moisture and in turn mildews. I'd go top load Maytag. I've had Maytag for 13 years and only changed the timer. I replaced it with another Maytag.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just replaced our 16yr Maytag duo after the dryer started making a whirling sound due to a worn motor bearing (replaced some other components a couple yrs ago). Based on reviews we went with a direct drive Samsung washer/dryer pair. I wanted to go with a top loader but the wife read the newer ones are hard on clothes?

The newer front loaders do sit low and I did not feel like forking over $400 for the 2 pedestals so I built one for about $75. Picked up the Samsung pair for $1200 on sale after coupon discounts/rebates from Lowes.

Washer/Dryer Pedestal in progress:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had to raise the dryer vent for the new one, cut some sheetrock and took off the duct, WTH do we have here?
[Linked Image]
Frigging !%!$&^*!! contractor who built the house! mad
[Linked Image]
Hired a local HVAC guy to build me a recessed vent box, he built it wrong but I was still able to modify it & make it work:
[Linked Image]
Fitted it in the wall and added the transitioner/ ductwork:
[Linked Image]
Almost there:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/MtnHtr/IMG_0370.jpg[/img]
Completed. Units work great so far, wife is happy!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/MtnHtr/IMG_0379.jpg[/img]

Will add the pedestal is very solid, minimum vibration. Wife leaves the front door of the washer open when not in use to mitigate any mildew issues. The door seal collects a little moisture but not much.

Fingers crossed but I don't think any of these new units will go more than 10yrs.

MtnHtr

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by isaac

you laugh, but the device must be operable by an ebonics speaker, who don't know nothin' 'bout readin' no manuals. if it has too many options, screens and flashing lights, she ain't gonna be able to work it. and then I'll be doing even more loads than I do now.

The LG weighs the load and sets itself for wash time and amount of water. Just push 2 buttons. Power and then start. Same with the dryer. If it is something special it has a setting for it.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
Now I certainly expect that this new stuff won't last near as long but the first set sure went a long time. I don't think anything made today lasts as long as the old stuff.

It's not just your nostalgic memory. Appliances are crap today. I recently asked the manager of a locally owned appliance/electronics store his opinion on the reliablity of different brands of refridgerators and this was his response. "Get the one with the features you like and buy the extended warranty. They are all made like crap today. The manufacturers are now run by accountants and marketing departments and not engineers."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by country_20boy
It's not just your nostalgic memory. Appliances are crap today. I recently asked the manager of a locally owned appliance/electronics store his opinion on the reliablity of different brands of refridgerators and this was his response. "Get the one with the features you like and buy the extended warranty. They are all made like crap today. The manufacturers are now run by accountants and marketing departments and not engineers."

Ouch! Not that it's a great revelation, but you've got me wondering about my LG refrigerator now. Well, it's been going good since 2007 so far, but that's not exactly a long test for what's supposed to be a durable product.

As for washers and dryers, I miss no opportunity on these threads to brag about my kenmore washer/dryer I bought in 1999. Paid $100 for the dryer (6 months old at the time) and $125 for the washer (about a year old at the time) and they are still chugging like yeomen. Still look new and some of the best money I've ever spent. Of course, I know that buying used kenmores is not a useful recommendation for Steve_NO since his wife insists on designer front loading machines grin. Brag over laugh.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 60 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.