Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I decided to put together a AR upper with a bunch of parts I had on hand but I needed a barrel. Since this was a parts upper I wasn't going to put 3-4 hundred into a quality barrel. So I did a little looking around on the different forums and found a 16', 9 twist, model 1 stainless barrel with 200 rounds or so on it for 100.00 to my door. I did a little research on the barrel and read mixed reviews so my expectations weren't to high, as long as it held MOA of coyote out to 300 yards or so I would be pleased. I loaded up some 53gr Sierra MK's over 25grs of Benchmark and took the upper for a test drive.

I was more than impressed, it never shot a 5 shot group over 2" at 300 yards and bellow is a picture of the days best group at 300 yards, this was shot off a bipod with a rear bag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I purchased a Model One upper before i started building my own and it groups every hand load i tried under a inch and a couple of loads just under 1/2 inch. Great uppers for the money.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still wouldn't trust them day in and out to be good, that being said I"ve yet to see one recently that didn't shoot around moa or usually just a hair less with the right ammo. ARs don't seem to be picky though.

Worst one I had is when they had another name many years ago and it was still about 2 inches at 100...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
last barrel I had from them is a shotgun....Russ

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blanket

Most often than not, it's the monkey on the trigger. grin

Last edited by SMACK; 08/04/11.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SMACK

Sure, that's why you see so many top shooters using bottom rung junk. whistle

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
wouldn't buy a model one for my match rifles for sure....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

Can't argue that, but "top shooters" get stuff in the mail (for free) that most of us typically can't afford.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my model 1 sales 24" s.s. fluted heavy barrel is outstanding !
5 rounds each of varget under 60 gr. v max's.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't think it was the monkey on the trigger, just a bad barrel. By the looks of your groups you either got a good one. Russ

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by TWR

Can't argue that, but "top shooters" get stuff in the mail (for free) that most of us typically can't afford.

I won't say I was a 'top" shooter, but I damn sure wasn't all that bad. No one ever offered me anything free. But then I didn't go out milking it and looking for free either. I shot the best I could get, and wouldn't have used less if given to me, like the sluts out there that make shows, write columns etc... not all them mind you, but the larry weishuhn types...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rost, I'm talkin' about the "action" shooter types that wear the "bass-fisherman" shirts and get followed around by TV cameras. A lot of 'em are salaried (Rob Leatham) and paid to promote a product (Springfield XD). They also get a lot of stuff for free just because people want to be able to say so and so uses my stuff.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can see your point Take a knee, but those action shooters don't really fret about accuracy like the bench rest guys that measure wins by the smallest backer target.

Accuracy can be had in the oddest places but for money spent to gain it, it is best spent on a sure thing rather than hoping you're "pleasantly surprised" by a cheaper barrel maker.

People read enough good reviews on the net about a product, they tend to take it as fact. They don't get the full story sometimes that only one load shoots or it did it just once but... The internet is a salesman's best friend and no one wants to say they wasted their money.

Not saying you can't get an outstanding gun, barrel or whizbang accessory for a song but I have chased the bargain bins long enough to know quality products come at a price. Lay out 10 Krieger barrels vs 10 Mod 1 sales barrels, take an aggegate group size from each brand and see where the winner sides.

Yes, I'm an AR snob but I've earned the title by trying to beat the odds.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
no one wants to say they wasted their money.

There's a lot of truth in that statement.

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Did anyone happen to notice in my original post, that it was a parts upper. hence the low cost barrel that I was pleasantly surprised by it's accuracy. You couldn't pay me enough to put it up against one of my Noveske or my White Oak match barrels. But for 100.00 bucks shipped and to serve the purpose of bouncing across wheat field with me in the cab of the truck . I'll take this barrel/ upper combo over many factory AR's I've owned or own any day ;-) Luck of the draw I guess. Either way Mr. Wiley Coyote should benefit from this package. :-)

Last edited by SMACK; 08/07/11.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smack, I agree 100%. On rare occasions accuracy forgets to look at the price tag grin

"Pleasantly surprised" is a good thing no matter what the subject.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lot of truth in all the opinions here...

Nuff so that when I do some not demanding guns, I'll look at model one first... for a cheap MOA barrel with reloads... if it doesn't do it, I'll sell it to recover some green, and put a real barrel on if needed....

I've done more than a bit of damage with the nephews 7.62x39 Mod One barrel, well coyotes, hogs and javelina so far have not faired well....

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya I noticed it and also noticed you telling another member something about a "monkey on the trigger" somehow I took that to mean you thought he was the problem and it couldn't have been his mod 1 sales barrel...

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Ya I noticed it and also noticed you telling another member something about a "monkey on the trigger" somehow I took that to mean you thought he was the problem and it couldn't have been his mod 1 sales barrel...

I guess it's all how you read into it, it was ment in a light ribbing the guy manor. I'll clarify that in any future posts or threads that I know you may be involved.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Whatever, at least now you don't have to waste your money on premium barrels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 55 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.