Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
medicman,

This is an excerpt from I hunt I made in 2009 in Omay North, near where Mad Dog hunted his elephant.

The next morning we discovered we had visitors in the camp during the night. A hippo relieved itself about 20 ft from my chalet. No wonder they sounded so close. There were also elephant and buffalo tracks in the camp from the previous night. That green grass was hard for them to resist. We re-entered the jess and tracked another herd with no tuskless. I took some pictures at about 50 feet. I can barely make out the elephant in the pictures. Did I say this stuff is thick? We then moved to another area and started tracking another herd. We found a tuskless with no calf in a herd of about twelve elephants. We worked our way within 20 yards and that was as close as we could get. We stood there and watched the elephants and I began to become nervous. Then I thought this is the pinnacle of hunting and I am participating. A big smile appeared on my face as I raised my Krieghoff. If I live to be a hundred I will never forget the sight picture as I squeezed the trigger. The 470 Nitro roared and the elephant was gone. It dropped like someone chopped its legs out from underneath it. I then placed a follow up shot in its head, quickly reloaded fired two in its chest, quickly reloaded and fired one more in the chest. At that point the other elephants decided they wanted us dead. We quickly retreated as I reloaded again. The matriarch charged us and did not stop until Martin fired a warning shot. This occurred at about 10 feet. She looked at us and we at her and both decided to put a little distance between us. It was a little on the exciting side. We were then able to move about a hundred yards away and let things settle down. After the elephant decided to leave we worked our way back to the elephant. Even though she did not take a step SHE WAS STANDING! I worked my way within about five yards and brained her and put one more in her spine while she was down. We cut the tail and she was now mine. After it was over I had a strange feeling, not of remorse or guilt but maybe humbled a little by the experience. I was not ashamed but had no desire to sit on her for hero pictures. Do not misunderstand, I was excited and proud but in a reserved sort of way.

GB1

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Mike, thank you for your answer. I read the post about the "little" elephant, and had decided to reflect upon it for a couple of days.... The safari[as you well know], wasn't about the size of the trophy, but the experience..... No apologies for the elephant size, it was all good. Until you have walked amoungst the "zambezi ladies", it's hard to explain it to folks...

I'm tickled to death with my experience, with my son, and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Prolly won't get to do it again, ever. But it's all GOOD!!!!!

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Everybody, who has been to the continent, has a special way of remembering the experience. Here is mine....

The song may be corny to some, but it bringgs a tear to my eye, everytime I listen to it......

maddog

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mad dog,

You and your son are fortunate men having shared a great adventure.

My friend from Zimbabwe and her daughter shared dinner with my wife and me last night. We really enjoyed the visit but it made me miss Africa that much more.

We talked little politics but she felt there would be no elections this year. They always hope for improvement in the country but are constantly "making a plan" to make the best of the situation.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.