Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Rangr44 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John Taffin posted elsewhere this AM:

ON FRIDAY THE FREEDOM GROUP ANNOUNCED THEY WERE SHUTTING DOWN MARLIN PRODUCTION DUE TO QUALITY ISSUES. THEY LOST THEIR KEY PRODUCTION PEOPLE WHEN THEY MOVED. ONE IS NOW AT RUGER AND THE OTHER AT COLT.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ohhhh noooooo.....

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Welllll.... dang!!!! frown frown

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's mixed news. Good that they decided to shut down production because they finally got the message about the lack of quality and good for us owners of old Marlin products.

Bad because it took them this long. I have seen this happen with companies that were bought out by a "holding company" who then decided to run the businesses when they had no experience in doing so.

I hope they get their stuff together quickly.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes management looks at the bottom line so long that they forget that they need people to turn out a product.

Is this a permanent shutdown?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beat me to it - was just coming to post about this.

I would expect that they will man-up (they need QC guys) and re-launch the brand/products.

However, they may do like USRA and have them made somewhere other than the US... at a higher price.

Regardless, I've been wanting a guide gun and so ordered one before they're all gone. Standard, blue 18" non-ported barrel.

[Linked Image]

I'm very familiar with Marlin's and will check it out throughly - the quality issues were all about fitting and finishing - some feeding problems, that sort of thing.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody seen a press release to back this up?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Buying is one thing...........they should've left things as they were in Conn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Bushmaster folks also all quit to form their own company

WildguesswehavetoincreaseourmachinerypurchaseAlaska ��2002-2011

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's a shame, and also quite stunning. Let's face it rifles are not that difficult to make and having spent the first 25 years of my life in manufacturing it's pretty hard to understand why they couldn't muster the engineering horsepower to figure out what the problems were. I am not a fan of the engineering profession of the last 20 years but they should have found some of the old school guys to set them straight. My guess is the equipment was such that it was going to take a big investment and they weren't willing to make it. Still it's surprising since they own so many other interests that they weren't just an assembly operation and had the barrels made by one of their remington facilities the stocks by another and only have the actions produced by the "marlin" plant.

IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They had a really good thing going here in North Haven. What a shame.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If true..We now have Pre 2007 Marlins to go with our favorite Pre 1964 Winchesters.Thanks George Soros...

The George Soros controlled private equity company Cerberus Capital Management could cut off all gun and ammunition sales in the US. Apparently, the American people are totally unaware that Cerberus has for the past decade acquired nearly every gun and ammunition maker in the United States and consolidated them into a holding company called The Freedom Group.
-------------------------------

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...arnes-bullets/

January 5th, 2010
Freedom Group (Cerberus) Acquires Barnes Bullets

Cerberus Capital Managment, through its Freedom Group holding company, has acquired yet another well-known gun industry company: Barnes Bullets. On December 31, 2009, Freedom Group, Inc. entered into a purchase agreement to acquire certain assets of Barnes Bullets.

In recent years, Cerberus/Freedom Group has acquired Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin, H&R, DMPS and other smaller firearms-related companies. By acquiring Barnes, the Freedom Group gains entry into the ammunition component business at a time when brass, bullets, and powder remain in high demand. As the Freedom Group continues to build a vertically integrated firearms-related mega-corp, one wonders if Cerberus will look to acquire a powder-maker next. Freedom Group already sells Remington-brand factory-loaded ammunition.

Barnes Bullets, located in Mona, Utah, is the industry-leading supplier of copper bullets, including copper-tin composite core bullets. Barnes is a major player in the �lead-free� bullet market. This has become important as lead-core bullets have been banned in many hunting areas, and lead-free bullets are required in many indoor shooting facilities. Barnes Bullets will continue day-to-day operations at Utah facility under the guidance of company founder, Randy Brooks.

Ted Torbeck, CEO of the Freedom Group, Inc. stated: �With the acquisition of Barnes, the Freedom Group continues to demonstrate our commitment to the ammunition business. Barnes offers a premium line of high performance bullets for the hunting and shooting communities; and for law enforcement, military and commercial consumers. We are excited about their R&D capabilities and the breadth of the products they bring to our portfolio.�

Freedom Group is now one of the world�s largest producers of guns and ammo. Freedom Group brands include Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS/Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, NEF, LC Smith, Parker, EOTAC, AAC, Dakota and INTC. The company distributes its products throughout the U.S. and in over 80 foreign countries. Learn more at www.freedom-group.com.

Jayco

Last edited by logcutter; 08/14/11. Reason: Edited to ad..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate to hear of any of this kinda crap with the old American firearms companies.

Like Winchester, Marlin design is too good and won't stay down forever......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
bangeye,

Just a WAG, but my bet is that they, being a holding company, are big believers in ISO certification, which is great if you provide a service, such as accounting, or food service.

It relies on the individual worker to do their part correctly, according to a strict set of instructions. It doesn't matter if there is a defect before their part of the process, as long as they do their part, the rest is "not my problem".

There is no real accomodation in a pure ISO setup for a real QC department as the ISO process is supposed to save money and streamline production by eliminating that process.

In order to further streamline the process, i.e. save money, they will draw down their Repair Department and funnel any repairs through Manufacturing to be handled by the same people who worked on it to begin with. This is called "efficiency".

I don't believe it is an Engineering problem. It is a cultural problem.
It is showing up in all of the Freedom Group's operations, witnessed by all of the recent recalls.

Just my $0.02

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Agreed..I own 3- Marlin 45-70's, pre 2007.....I just hope they come back as good or better than the Connecticut plant dished out.

This is hard to swollow, but I do listen when John Taffin and Gary Reeder talk.Anyone who knows there leverguns, knows who these feller's are.There definitely Top End people in Levergun knowledge.

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold my 336 in 35 Rem a year or 2 ago. Sold my 30-30 also. Now I only have 2 Marlins left. One is a 444SS and a favorite of mine.

The other one is "special".......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I haven't found anything recent online about a Marlin closure. I guess I'll wait to get worked up.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is much ado about nothing, IMHO. And Taffin is an idiot for posting that if he did. First, there are TWO Marlin production lines. One is in Illion, NY and makes the lever guns. The other is in Mayfeild, Kentucky and makes the rimfire bolt and semi auto rifles. They didn't shut them both down. The Mayfield pant is just now getting up to speed shipping the rimfires and I have heard no QC issues with them.

As far as the Pre 2007 Marlins BS- That is simply not true. The Freedom Groups left Marlin pretty much alone until 2009.

As to Freedom group temporarily shutting down the Illion production line that is a GOOD THING if it is being done to correct some basic QC issues. It shows the demand for their products is strong enough that any disruption of the pipeline WILL be felt and they want everyone to know why they are doing it.

FWIW, Marlin did it off and on for the last 50 years- stop making guns for various reasons that were cataloged- they just never told anyone.

Remington QC on many of their rifles started to slide in the early 2000s BEFORE the Freedom group bought them out.

This continued for a few years until two things were done by management- the price of Remington went up about 20% and the QC issues pretty much went away. This was not doubt because they were spending more TIME per rifle to do the QC checks need to make sure they work before being boxed up.

I have bought three Remington products in the last 4 years -two m700s and one 870 pump .Each gun was made between 2006 and 2008. They function and shoot AT LEAST as well as any Remington from any vintage I have sued.

QC problems happen in ANY firearms company periodically. The Springfield Armory(US Government),Winchester, Kimber(Oregon and Yonkers), Remington, Ruger, Sako(guns blowing up!) and yes even Marlin pre 2007- have all had QC problems from time to time. It happens. I have seen Marlins made 10 - 30 years ago with crooked barrels stocks fitted very poorly and function issues RIGHT out of the box. Anyone who has not see those issues is either not very observant or has not owned many Marlins built in the last 40 years.

Last edited by jim62; 08/14/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
from the news i have received friday, its not the plants that are closed but a lot of rifles in lever action no more produced for 2011.

i dont have whole the SKU numbers but there is a lot ...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I will do a quote from Gary Reeder today..I assume you know Gary and what he does?

what scares me is what if the Freedom group is a George
Soros backed venture. The Freedom Group now owns, Marlin, DPMS, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, Remington, H&R, New England Firearms, L.C. Smith and I think one or two others. If Soros, who is a multi billionaire,and extremely anti gun and anti American were behind this, he could shut each of these companies totally down and use the loss as a write off. And we would lose 7 or 8 of our larger gun companies. I know this sounds far fetched, but when John posted that about Marlin it brought that thought back.

Jayco

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.