Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by fyshbum
I have always favored the four blade versions for the extra cutting surface. I always liked the way the four blade muzzy's locked together. They are very, very strong

That is what I am shooting this year. I always hone the tips on a fine stone to remove burrs.

Same here. Just made sense to turn it into a COC. I started with the muzzy's when they first came out. I have taken several dozen deer with them. I still have some of the 150 grainers. Mostly used the 130's, then the 115's. Shooting the 100's now.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NAP Thunderheads are my choice .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The G5 Montec is a nice BH.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started out with Muzzy 4 blades, which did a fine job.

Decided to give the Magnus Stingers a shot, loved them. Used them for 5 or so years.

Bought some Slick Tricks last year and have switched to them now. Best made and flying broadhead I've seen. I don't think I could want much more out of a broadhead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slick Trick 100 grain mags. Work well out of a 65 lb AlphaMax...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I only have a PSE at 60#, I better stick with Muzzy then smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Double Bull 360 Matrix ground blind. One minor point. If you want to shoot thru the mesh windows, they recommend a COC blade. I shoot 85 gr G5's as my bow is only 40-50# (bad shoulders), but would like to try other COC's.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bea175
NAP Thunderheads are my choice .

when I shot wheel bows, these were my choice. They were very effective and dam near indestructible. Of course I've never seen a slick trick. now'a days I tend to go a little retro. wink

[Linked Image]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

I'm very impressed by the tissue damage from NEF Thunder Heads. I'm not focused upon trying anything else!!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have tried both mechanical heads you are considering and the Spitfire's flew best for me, and I think are a little tougher........Good luck..........Hillbilly.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use spitfires. I just bought 3 packs because NAP has their $10 rebates again. I buy 3 packs a year, turn 1 into practice heads, and use the rest on deer.

I've been using them for 20 years. They're still NAP's #1 broadhead and they make a dozen. I use the 100 grain heads on Gold Tip 7595's. I've shot about 75 deer with them. My buddy on damage permits stopped counting at 300. I've got a 200 pound 8 pt on the wall I shot quartering away out through the chest with one. I'm going to Kansas for the hunt of a lifetime in October and 8 out of 10 of us are using them. We all shoot them. We all shoot bowtech bows, quickspin vanes, and gold tip arrows. There are probably 20 more people at my rod and gun club that do the same. It all started with me and another guy, and it has caught on. Everyone seems to be happy so far.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Trophy Ridge Buck Blasters!They leave 2 3/4 inch exit holes.Three fixed blades and three expendables.It's like somebody just throws buckets of blood around after a hit.Even bad hits,you will never NOT recover your deer.Practicing sucks with them because the blades break, cause of the extreme drag.But once your sighted in forget about it!They are the best destroyer in the woods hands down.They make a bigger mess than a 1 once shotgun slug on deer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have seen two nice bucks and a big doe killed by the Trophy Ridge Buck Blasters. None of those deer had an exit hole.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Needless to say I wasn't very impressed.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 08/25/11.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You need heavy draw weight and a heaver arrow for these to leave a nice exit wound.As I said, there is alot of drag, do to the large cutting surface.They are pure killers when they hit.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
300fps with a FMJ arrow isn't enough for a pass thru? Really? Well then you ain't getting many pass thru shots with those. That was on the Doe. I am not sure what the two bucks where killed with. I will find out tomorrow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why is it people these days cant grasp the concept of K.I.S.S.? The got to have the latest "media craze" in equipment. The fastest this, the biggest that. Still remember the days when a long axle to axle Golden Eagle Cam Hunter barely clocking 200fps with aluminum logs and a 125 grain muzzy that made almost no sound when shot killed animals plenty dead. Yet today, folks feel they have to try and temp the laws of physics on every hunt. I just dont get it. Yes, I have gravitated to a newer faster bow. Use carbon arrows. Fancier sight. But an arrow rest that moves and a mechanical broad head have virtually NO chance of going afield with me. I like keeping as many of the odds as I can in my favor.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have gone full circle with plenty of broadheads in my life. Back to Slicktricks and doubt I can be pulled away ever again. Look at the thread here with the Oregon bear.

I shot that with a 60lb switchback and a 125 grain slicktrick, the arrow went right through cutting and breaking ribs in and out, that bear had a 54" girth! I have the arrow here and can shoot another bear with it after I touch up the blades. The blood trail I followed at a walk only stopping on the steep slope where he rolled down the hill thru brush. In those two places the brush sprung back up and covered the ground. It was however easy enough to see the path he took and the spots of blood along the way.

There is just nothing else I have used that eliminates all the braodhead issues like a slicktrick.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like long and slow. Like this one Hoyt Vantage LTD just look past the short fast one next to it. LOL

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
To Montana creek hunter.I had a complete pass through with a buck blasters on a four pointer.Beman ICS 400's, which are way to light,In my opinion.I Shoot a Darton AS-300 hybrid 2 1/2cam bow 70lbs.At 20yrd perfectly broadsie.The arrow landed perfect behind the leg double lung.The arrow totally passed through the deer and fell about 30 feet passed the deer.I watched the deer fall within 50yards.My father also has had many pass threws with his cross bow.Im just saying weight helps with a wide 125 GR broad head.It's just how you hit them whether you get a complete pass through.Either way they die fast!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,605
Posts18,511,548
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.