Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I guess I'll throw in my $.02 off my soapbox...

I've been involved with ISO systems for 13 years now, and run a small factory that is ISO Certified. I'm also charged at the same time (small company) with making money and growing sales - which does not happen if you torque off your customers.

No question that if you make poor management decisions, ISO may not save you. It works well in preventing problems, and requiring one to make steady progress or "continual" improvement. As far as ISO being "best" I was just told this morning if I want to make parts for a certain large airplane company, I need to upgrade our system to AS9100. I will indeed consider it.

If these rumors are true about Marlin, I'd bet that some "Lean Guru" waltzed into the process, took a cursory review, and decided for himself that Process/Machine/Inspection 'X' was unecessary and wasteful. The old hands may have protested that 'X' was necessary, and either were ignored, or they were told they were "resistant to change" and pushed aside, which is a favorite political ploy of "Lean Gurus".

The problem was, 'X' existed becuase you had a major problem every 6 months without it, or you were unable to make product Y very well. Have a few X's in a factory that are tinkered with, and you start to have major problems.

The Lean Manufacturing premise is - get rid of things that don't add value for the customer - is sound. The problem is a "guru" makes decisions without fully understanding what adds value in a given plant, and that's when positive change turns into a CF.

There are fiscal "lean gurus" as well.

They are the ones who convinced the Freedom Group management to close both the H&R and Marlin plants and roll them into the production capacity at Remington in Illion and Mayfield. That was most likely decided before both of those companies were even acquired.

Likely, those same tightfisted beancounters tried to squeeze a few more shekels by having less people do more work and underpaying line supervisors and other employees to the extent they quit.

The greedy bastards in upper management cannot get it through their thick skulls there are LIMITS to everything. You have to have ENOUGH workers to actually DO the work. And pay them well enough to do it well. In the end, it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

This will be a VERY expensive and bitter lesson for the management at Marlin/ Remington I hope they learn from it.

Last edited by jim62; 08/15/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet, a discussion about Marlins !!???!!??!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not huge on plastic stocks - but that 'n' I could get to like.

How do have 'em chambered?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
30/30 is the black one, the other two are the same rifle and it's a 357 Mag. Had a 35 but sold it, have a few 30/30's because hell, everyone should have one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crap, gotta run - like to pick your brain on the 30-30 (later).

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Checked the Marlin website today. There was no notice there (news release etc)advising that they were ceasing operations.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
this is the ones closed for 2011...

338MX 70492
338 MXLR 70493
444 70540
1895G 70462
1895CB 70480
1895XLR 70474
1894CB357 70440
1894CB44 70442
1894CB45 70444
1894CSS 70428
1894SS 70430
1894SBL 70432
1894CSBL 70433

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
30/30 is the black one, the other two are the same rifle and it's a 357 Mag. Had a 35 but sold it, have a few 30/30's because hell, everyone should have one.

Steelhead,

Are those Skinner sights on both rifles? I'm looking to replace the factory sights on a couple of my Marlins (1894CL in .32-20 and an 1894 .357 like yours) and was wondering about front sight height.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
XS sights, I bought the 'combo' front/rear for the respective model and they work fine. I have XS on all the Marlins.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good thing you shot that bastid Steelie..... looks like he was in somebodies collard patch... grin

Last edited by podunkkennels; 08/15/11.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by logcutter
I will do a quote from Gary Reeder today..I assume you know Gary and what he does?

what scares me is what if the Freedom group is a George
Soros backed venture. The Freedom Group now owns, Marlin, DPMS, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, Remington, H&R, New England Firearms, L.C. Smith and I think one or two others. If Soros, who is a multi billionaire,and extremely anti gun and anti American were behind this, he could shut each of these companies totally down and use the loss as a write off. And we would lose 7 or 8 of our larger gun companies. I know this sounds far fetched, but when John posted that about Marlin it brought that thought back.

Jayco

George Soros does not control Cerberus (Freedom Group). This is a dumb internet rumor that keeps getting posted.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One thing has me puzzled.If Marlin is shutting down a line to address quality issues.Why would anyone want to rush out and buy one of those guns????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
One thing has me puzzled.If Marlin is shutting down a line to address quality issues.Why would anyone want to rush out and buy one of those guns????

Well according to the information posted by Taffin, etc it was not JUST due to "quality issues" but also the loss of some key production personnel.

Besides, many of them work just fine.

The fact that Cerberus bought Marlin has more to with the rumor mongering about them than anything. As witnessed by some of the the patently FALSE information and conjecture being posts on this thread- ala Soros etc..

I can tell you this- ALL of the QC issues I have seen posted by folks on the Marlin forums, etc HAVE BEEN issues off and on in the past with Marlin guns made in New Haven going back to the 1970s at least. And they show their ignorance about the older guns and their bias by never mentioning that.

Crooked barrels, guns failing to feed properly, poor wood to metal fit, crooked sights, actions that feel like a handful of sand were thrown in them when brand new- ALL of those issues can be found on a percentage of guns that were shipped from new haven since the late 1970s. I do believe there is a higher percentage of those problems on the Remington built rifles, and that is what their management is trying to address.

Most New Haven made Marlins were great little guns. But some of them were not. And they were made mostly BEFORE the days of the internet. Today, a guy can electrically wail about getting a lemon to tens of thousands of people online 2 minutes after unboxing it without even calling customer service to even discuss it first..

And here is another fact- if you go through the Marlin Forums and actually read the shooter reviews of Recent made Marlin Levers, Centerfire and Rimfire bolt actions and the Semi Autos, most of the guys say the guns work just fine..

And yet- the sky is falling.

Last edited by jim62; 08/16/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What a revoltin' development this is ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was thinking of letting-go one of my Marlins, an 1895-GS Guide Gun, 45-70, I got years ago.

I'm thinking more clearly now!

I don't know WHAT in hell Cerebus/Remington is thinking ... They's scary!

Cerebus (Greek mythology), IS the 3-Headed Dog that guards the Gates Of Hell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by natman
So let's see. Ten pages in and we have:

A completely unattributed quote, allegedly from John Taffin, saying Marlin is closing.

A reference to a supposed fax, without a copy, saying Marlin is suspending operations until it gets its QC act together. (Which would be a good thing in the long run. IF it's true.)

Long personal arguments about John Taffin's expertise / the merits of ISO 9000 (despite no evidence as to whether or not Marlin is using it) / various slanders as to the personal hygiene / ancestry of other posters and NOT ONE FACT to base any of it on.

Just another day on the internet.

So you are saying this should be over on the "Hunter's Campfire" forum?

Just sayen

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RandyR
I am really wondering if I should buy the 45-70 or 450 now! I didn't plan on buying one this soon but this thread has me thinking. I have been watching a used one in each caliber and am worried dealers might hike the price up on speculation.

If you can get a 450... get it.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did some research and can't find George Soros as owning Cerberus. Some body needs to stop spreading rumors.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I like Marlin rifles, and I know a lot of other guys that do too. I wish them the best and hope they never give up.

On the flipside, there seems to be a lot of so-called "managers" in in business that don't know the first thing about how to manage anything, let alone manage people and a manufacturing organization. They have only their own interests at heart and suck the life from an organization with their inflated salaries and irresponsible actions. Employees are seen as liabilities, not assets. THE EMPLOYEES MAKE THE MONEY, and they should profit from it, not some rich day trader that sits on his ass in front of a computer and sucks the life from any company stupid enough to go public. I work with some very talented and intelligent people that make our products and they deserve better than the $12 dollars per hour poverty wage they make. We just had a CEO quit the company because times are bad, and the company was stupid enough to let him drag $2million with him when he left. I say good riddens! I think its time for MAJOR CHANGES in the way business is done in this country.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's more to this story. Not sure what but something because I would have sworn they would spun this off as a separate IPO.

Zombies always come back. We need Marlin.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I may be mistaken, but I thought there was a Bloomberg Business Week article reporting that funding for Cerberus Capital Management came through Soros. In addition, there was some sort of suit involving Soros and Cerberus which alleged money laundering in their purchase of a building though Trump. These were probably the sources for a connection between Soros hedge funds and Cerberus.

Not sure if this is correct or not, and am not sure what motivations came to play beyond making profit, but Soros has made tons of money investing in all sorts of defense technology and fronting money to invest in firearms and ammunition would not be a shocker to me.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,360
Posts18,488,046
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.