OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
You guys are a bunch of pretty savy gun cranks, trying to get a fair estimate on gun value of this. I have seen similar on GB
Guns America, eetc. running from $1500.00 to 8000.00! Whats your honest opinion?
Stevens 441/2 - no.47 range rifle, all matching #s,32-40 cal.takedown,original Lyman front and rear sights, barrel has been drlled for scope blocks, absolutely xcellant bore and rifling, mirror shiny!Screws not buggered up, tight action!
Your appraisal?

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Standard Guide says poor $725. excellent $2000. The drill and tap is going to severely injure the price.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The effect of the drilling and tapping depends on the buyer. Some collectors don't want ANY variation from factory, so unless you can prove the work was factory, they would devalue the rifle, and probably not be interested. However, many collectors realize that these rifles came late in the "classic single shot" era and scopes were part of the scene. So if the work was professional and didn't mar the factory markings, many of us wouldn't consider it a big negative.

I can't help you with value, but it is a very desirable rifle by most "single shot guy" standards. $2 grand doesn't seem out of line to me, but getting that money in this economy is going to require finding a collector who not only likes the gun, but has the dough. Not as easy as it was a few years ago.

Best of luck! Great pix; great rifle.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My sentiments mirror Mesa's. Those holes wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact, they would save me from d/t'ing it as a matter of course as, unlike a classic Savage lever gun, these rifles cry out for a Lyman 5A, Fecker, Litschert, or Unertl scope. It's the rare one that isn't d/t'ed for target scope blocks and I strongly suspect a majority were done so at the factory or as soon as they fell into the hands of their original owners.

I would hazard a guess that 2K is about right for it. I would certainly love to own it. I swooned when I first saw it's appearance in the classified's but too many other commitments bar my taking a run at it. It's a rifle I would be happy to grow old with. A 44� like that is right up there with the likes of Winchester High Walls and late Ballards as far as being a fine target rifle. That holds true today as it did 90 years ago.

Now if it only had it's original scope, bullet starter, mould, re-decapper. (Those are definitely factory case colors. The "layered" look was achieved during Stevens' case hardening process when the receiver was lowered progressively into the quench bath. The #47 was intended for casual off-hand shooters and bench shooters and somewhat beyond entry level competition. Definitely several steps up in the hierarchy of Stevens target rifles. I wouldn't have felt out out of place showing up with this gun at Walnut Hill or Sea Girt in the early 1920's.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thats a sweetheart. The reciever alone would fetch 500 w/them colors.

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the rifle but I must confess that I'm ignorant as to value. Hope someone else can help out.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a really nice one of these sold at Amoskeag recently for about $800... though it was a straight stock not a p/g...not sure if that makes a big price difference. At $800, I think its an interesting gun that could be a lot of fun to shoot and maybe even hunt with... no idea what the real market is but amoskeag tends to get higher than market prices on most things if you ask me.

Andrew
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
WoW! If you can find me the same model, in this condition for $800.00, I will buy all of them!
Thanks, Ken

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What kind of mark up would you want to flip one? grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Drew- PG vs. straight grip, barrel weight, sights, forend shape, and buttplate are what distinguishes this one from a bog-stock 44�. Even $800 is quite a good deal for one of those. Are you sure it wasn't a 44, not 44� action? I could see a 44 in this condition going for that, unless it was a 44� and the collecting fraternity as a whole was asleep at the switch. That has happened, as we all know. They look similar to a non-devotee, but are worlds apart in strength.

While not in the same league as the Win HiWall or Sharps-Borschardt strength-wise, the 44� was rebarreled a lot back in the heyday of .22 wildcatting. Lots of Hornets, Zippers, Bees, and .22-3000's were built on them, and not a few hotter ones like .219 Zipper Improved, .22 Neidner, etc., but I think they were a little weak for that level of performance. Net result, like so many collector's guns of that era, was that out of relatively small production quantities, a hell of a lot of them were converted/Bubba'ed so that not many survived- especially in the condition of Ken's.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/17/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked back at it... it was reconditioned, straight stock, half/half barrel in 32-40, with a large vernier style tang sight...had some checkering added... all very nice but I guess not original... sold with the juice for just under $750.

Andrew

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 36 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,052
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.