Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whiskey

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My list has boiled down to a good shovel, a pair or two of leather gloves, two sets of chains for snow and ice, and a "crash kit" with extra parts, and tools. A High Lift Jack, even when I owned a 4WD with a winch.
I've had to do tune ups in the field. I've had more flats than I like to admit. I've dug myself out too often too.
So, first of all, everything gets checked and brought to A-No.1 condition before going off road. Second, when it looks really doubtful, it's time to park and walk. Remember, all a 4WD does is get you further until you get stuck.
One more thing. I take two 4WD's with me. If I break the Jeep, I can take the camper off of the truck and go get the Jeep. At least in theory. E

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool thread. Useful.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hmm, let's see;

Two spare tires
Chains
Tow strap
Air pump
Flashlites
Jumper cables
Shovel
Water
Hi-Lift Jack
Tools
GPS and Cell Phone
Food
Blankets, warm boots
Tarps and rope
Bungee cords
1911 .45, ammo and mags
Charger cords for GPS and cell phone
Insurance cards and registration for truck, trailer, boat

Come to think of it, guess this is why I drive a 4WD club cab pickup as my hunting vehicle- I have to have room to carry around all this stuff!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SLEEPING BAG

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Has anybody covered the obvious yet? Some amunition for your most frequently carried firearms? Possibly a "truck gun"? A decent knife?

I used to carry a jug of water just for cleaning my hands if I was out hunting and had to field dress something. I often carry the gallon sized zip lock bags which are handy for bagging up small game/fish.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I often times have an LP torch (click start ignition) in my truck if I'm out in the woods in the winter time. More than once I've broke through ice in shallow water (foot or two) on old logging trails and water has gotten into my hubs and froze my lock out gears so they won't engage. I've used the torch to de-ice several things but most often to warm up my hubs to get my 4 wheel drive working.

Something clever here.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just pack a ziplock with Latex ( surgical) disposable gloves. Soon as I'm done the hands are as clean as when I started!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Can't believe I'm the only one that carries paper towels or TP.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You're not. 4th post down.

IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Baby wipes are also a great idea for cleanup.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With this needed gear a bigger truck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lets see in my truck now

Sleeping bag
hi lift
4 way
towstrap
come-a-long
bottle jack
shovel
TP
matches/and lighter
extra socks
gloves
old coat
SKS
Knife(s)
tools
some food
zip ties -so many uses
duck tape
all fluids
chains
and always a bottle of peppermint schnapps (keeps the snow snakes away)

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
AAA card.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen split rim wheels in a long time...how easy are they to split in the field??
The problem with split rims isn't getting them apart. It's getting them back together and staying alive. I've known 2 guys who died from them and 1 who lost the use of a hand. They're notorious for blowing apart when you air them up. All tire shops put them in a cage when they inflate them. I was in a garage when a mechanic was airing one up. He laid it flat on the floor under the car lift and set the lift down on top if it in case of a blowup.
One of guys who died went to my parents church. He was airing a tire for a race car. To give you an idea of the power behind a separation, when it came apart, it smashed his head against the ceiling.
Once they're assembled and aired up, they're very strong. You just need to take proper precautions in working on them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In Africa this is no problem. They use a bike pump!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have seen split rim wheels in a long time...how easy are they to split in the field??
The problem with split rims isn't getting them apart. It's getting them back together and staying alive. I've known 2 guys who died from them and 1 who lost the use of a hand. They're notorious for blowing apart when you air them up. All tire shops put them in a cage when they inflate them. I was in a garage when a mechanic was airing one up. He laid it flat on the floor under the car lift and set the lift down on top if it in case of a blowup.
One of guys who died went to my parents church. He was airing a tire for a race car. To give you an idea of the power behind a separation, when it came apart, it smashed his head against the ceiling.
Once they're assembled and aired up, they're very strong. You just need to take proper precautions in working on them.

Thanks, as i say, its a long time since I drove anything with a split rim, and I don't actually recall ever having to repair one in the field..

Regards,

Peter

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You can run a couple of chains around the tire and through the center hole in a split rim before airing it up. It is best to use a clip on chuck and stand back!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've heard of that trick, too. You just have to make sure the hooks are secure so they won't slip off the links. When a wheel comes apart, it REALLY comes apart.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've heard of that trick, too. You just have to make sure the hooks are secure so they won't slip off the links. When a wheel comes apart, it REALLY comes apart.

True! But I forgot the part that goes "Hold my beer!" shocked

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (160user, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 29 invisible), 1,338 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,176
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.