Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Am picking up one of these in beater condition just cause it was cheap, and I've always heard they weren't bad pistols.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Or with pro mag magazines for them?

And, of course, leads on back up parts?

Thanks,
Ella

Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned several and they are good little pistols. Actually I have one in the classifieds but not because it is a bad pistol, just churning the collection. Jack First gun parts has parts. Mags have not been an issue for me.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back up parts? not sure! They are good little guns. Back when they 1st came out, I had one of the rare CCW permits, and it was one of the two guns I had on the permit to carry. Only time ^ closest I ever came to shooting a man I was packing one of those, armed with Black Talon Ammo, IIRC.

But, I wax Poetic. It is a great little gun, very little felt recoil - duracoat it and you will be fine

brief search:
http://www.gun-parts.com/star/

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Models.aspx?catid=404

I might have to get one of those t-shirts
http://www.star-firearms.com/star/index.shtml

Last edited by iambrb; 07/28/11.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had one for 15 years, and they are good little pistols, but kind of heavy for concealed carry. Might be good for the glove box or someone with tiny hands.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the tips. And feel free to poeticize.

The one I'm waiting on is the single stack version. I got pretty small hands.

Any experience with pro mag magazines at all? I mostly have revolvers and not much experience with after market magazine manufacturers' reputations.

Ella

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All steel, rather heavy by modern standards, but it also means they�re nice to shoot. Accuracy wise they�ll stick right with any full sized 9mm pistol made, they�re damn fine shooters. If you hold with your thumb over the safety like many hold single action pistols, you�ll find the grip doesn�t accommodate that hold well at all (can be downright painful). If you hold with a low thumb locked down on the grip, you�ll find the grip is very nice indeed. Most were outfitted with simple 3 dot sights. In all my years, I�ve actually never seen one of these malfunction, they�re VERY reliable. Magazines are a bit spendy, but if you got into the gun right and you decide it�s a keeper as a truck gun or backup; then that takes the sting out of spending $40 or more on a magazine.

Back in the �80�s these were a very hot ticket and I was going to get one come hell or high water until a friend brought me an Astra A70 which I liked even better. But you can rest assured, the Star Firestar is a top quality pistol that is very reliable, very accurate and will serve you well. What�s more, they�re typically pretty cheap; nice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I dont care what anyone ever says Star pistols are first rate. They are good guns. The firestar was very innovative for its time and built to last. I had one for about a year then traded it for some other pistol...I wish I hadnt....the Firestar would eat any ammo I gave it. Heavy gun...its one flaw....but wow did it work well....you will enjoy it.

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with everything said above, except that I didn't find the Firestar's weight to be a hindrance to concealed carry.

I gave up my Firestar when I replaced it with a Kahr K9. I wouldn't have done it for anything less - and often regret having given it up. I'm always on the lookout for another in good shape, but they don't turn up often - and when they do, they've generally been thrashed (but still work!).

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
I had one for about a year then traded it for some other pistol...I wish I hadnt....the Firestar would eat any ammo I gave it.

I really liked mine and feel the same! I got the Star PD (which I shot & enjoyed earlier today!) when I was looking for a firestar in .40, and hope to get one in .40 over the course of the next year.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I gave up my Firestar when I replaced it with a Kahr K9. I wouldn't have done it for anything less - and often regret having given it up. I'm always on the lookout for another in good shape, but they don't turn up often - and when they do, they've generally been thrashed (but still work!).
In the reliability and general quality department I'd say the Firestar has Kahr beat. I've seen many a Kahr, both good and bad. When they're good, they're really nice. When they're bad, they're frustrating, but generally Kahr will make it right.

But I can honestly say, I've NEVER seen a bad Firestar. Never seen a Firestar that wouldn't churn through most anything you could reasonably throw at it. Like JamesDunn says, it's a very good quality pistol.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lucky for me, my K9 was very good.

Funny thing is, I don't have it anymore either. My preference has gone back to SA autos or DA revolvers for general use, so I gifted it to #1 son. Had I kept the Firestar, I would be carrying it often now - and yes, mine was accurate, easy to shoot well, and never malfunctioned...ever.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shameless pitch for the Firestar Plus I have listed in the classifieds.

NRA Life Member
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Finally got around to picking up this pistol. All the positive comments made me excited to try it out. But I'm having trouble with the safety, it's real hard to get on and off. Anyone know how to remove it? I'd like to see if there's not a burr or something in there. I've found lots of advice about being careful of falling parts, but no instructions on removing the levers. Any tips would be appreciated.

The things fits my hand real nice. I want to get it shooting. The price I paid, I can afford to mess around with it a little.

Thanks,
Ella

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For what it is worth, I have a 45 Firestar that is very accurate, the bullets touch at 9 yards, little recoil with the 230g Federal Hydroshock....never jammed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy has one in pristine condition that probably doesn't even have a hundred rounds through it. Won't give it up though but he's thinking about buying a Cooper so might have a chance yet.

`Bring Enough Gun`
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Take of the grip panel, should be two screws on the back and when off, rotate the safety down and it will reveal the detent and spring, careful not to launch or lose the detent or spring. Hold your thumb over it when rotating the safety and you should not launch it. I would think a little cleaning would fix it.

Last edited by supercrewd; 08/16/11. Reason: Sleepless after mentioning the detent shooting across the room.

NRA Life Member
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks, supercrewd.

I think I got a problem. The safety won't come off at all now. I soaked it solvent overnight. I can wiggle the safety levers but when rotating down the mechanism seems to hit something solid. And if I can't rotate down, I can't remove the durn thing to see what's going on. Knew there had to be a hitch with this thing.

Any suggestions, before I take it to a smith. I sure do like the weight and ergonomics.

Ella

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sounds like an issue with that detent and spring, but that is a totally undeduacted guess....or as the White House calls it. Firm Policy

_
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
iambrb,
I suspicion you're right, but I'm not sure how to get at the problem....

Ella

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The detent is probably keeping the safety from rotating down, you can try to get something in there to press the spring down?

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.