Print Thread
Hop To
O
Omega Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Last year I bought a new bow, a double cam PSE. But after shooting a few of my friends single cams I really think I want to buy a new bow. I was thinking probably a Mathews Q2. If I sell my old bow I should only have to spend about four hundred. Any opinions or help for me? Also, I am thinking about switching from Easton XX75's to carbons, need help there too. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my bow is a double cam, and i have no qualms about the way it shoots. i am over 200 fps, and i can keep my groups baseball sized at 25 yards from a sitting or kneeling position. that is w/ easton aluminum shafts.<P>having said that, i wish i had a single cam bow as i think they are much easier to tune. as far as carbon arrows go, i see no reason for me to switch over to them. they are faster, no doubt about that, but at 25-30 yards i think the on-game performance gain is minimal. if you shoot 3-d, though, a switch to carbon may be a worthy investment.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Omega, you might find it profitable to review an extensive thread which played out on this board recently. The thread was called "Mathews: are they worth it?" or something like that.<P>The positive statements about the Mathews will address your questions concerning Mathews bows and, to a large degree, about single cam bows.<P>I am a huge Mathews MQ32 fan. It is perfection as far as I am concerned. Mine is set up for carbon arrows, which perform flawlessly for me. I have no idea how fast it shoots, and have no intention of tweaking it to acheieve more speed at this point. The bow has been tuned once (professionally) and is very forgiving. It is pure joy to shoot AND hunt with in brush, treestands, etc. There simply was no comparison between it and anything else when it first came out, though there were other single cams by that time.<P>That said, I see no reason to change to another bow if yours is still putting arrows where you want them.<P>I am resistant to the idea of running out and getting the latest and greatest, because so many folks put that first and the simple pleasure of hunting (and gear that works fine) second or third. Not saying you're that way, just thinking out loud.<P>This said, there are many who make great use of better technology. At the time of the MQ32, it was a legitimate breakthrough.<P>I don't mean breakthrough as many are applying the term to the new Short Magnum rifle cartridges, if you will allow me to switch to another example for the sake of explanation. The Short Magnum cartridges are modifications of existing ideas, and, like other 'wildcats' offer advantages and thrills. But the good old cartridges still work and shoot wonderfully. The comparison of the MQ32 and the stuff that came before it is more accurately described by comparing a flintlock smoothbore to a high quality, tuned, balanced, modern bolt ation rifle.<P>The Mathews is a stick (arrow) propelled by a string (bow). There the similarity to all else ends (at the time of the MQ32). <P>I've never shot the Q2. I would like to because I like to shoot in general, but it is just curiosity on my part. I am using a LH bow, so opportunities to shoot other guy's tackle are rare. I cannot imagine the Q2 being as much better than the MQ32 than the MQ32 was better than everything else. At this point, I am completely happy to have this be the last bow I ever own.<P>If you keep your current tackle, good for you. Tackle does not make hunters successful or shooting pleasurable. If you get a Mathews, I think you will be delighted.<P>If something happened to my bow, I would gladly pay twice the amount you mentioned to have that same bow in my hands again.<P>By all means ask others. Better, shoot the bows mentioned if you can. One arrow is better than a thousand words. <P>Mathews spanks with a big wooden paddle, to use an expression from E4E (Pat)!<P>Good luck, Talus

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 43 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.