Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
This is a note I sent to Eddie regarding the Cerakote job he just completed on my Model 70.

Eddie,

Hey, I got my rifle back on Wed. afternoon.

All I can say regarding the Cerakote job you did on it is WOW!

It is perfect! Not a smudge anywhere, and no orange peel from being coated too thick; thank you, thank you, thank you....!

Only problem is, now I want to send you my custom model 70 30.06 that I had someone else Cerakote for me awhile back. It doesn't look too bad(actually I thought it looked pretty good until I saw the job you did on this rifle)but he had some problems with orange peel in a couple of areas. A "Do-Over" at Fosnaugh Customs may be in order in the not to distant future.

A good friend of mine had a Williams' bottom metal unit coated by you in "satin mag" a couple of months ago on my recommendation. He wanted to purchase a williams' stainless oberndorf unit for his Rem 700 build but was hampered by time constraints and Williams had none in stock. I recommended that he purchase a blued williams unit that I'd seen discounted in the "campfire classifieds" and give you a call regarding Cerakoting it to match his stainless barreled action. He is very happy with it to say the least and you will probably be getting more work from him in the future as well.

Eddie, thanks once again, your work is second to none and well worth the price, IMO, considering the finished product.

Keep up the good work. Your reputation for quality work from fellow campfire members is what convinced us to send our work your way.

Sincerely, Leftybolt

The quality of his work is awesome!!!

I highly recommend him if "good" isn't good enough for your next Cerakote job. He will make sure it is done right the first time.

Leftybolt

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I ever need one done, he's the guy I'll send my rifle too. I've seen his work and he does a phenomenal job. His prices are pretty good too and he does other work besides cerakoting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Pictures man!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eddie is the man when it comes to coating. There's no doubt about that.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
His work is impressive.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lefty, I dont believe a word your saying, and it better not be a left handed 70!

Please post a pic and prove me wrong..... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Picts, or it didn't happen. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on Eddie, he's done a few things for me. Exceptional.

Lee

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I guess when I get my lazy butt moving, Eddie will do my 721 .300H&H.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe someone said something about pictures???

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I believe someone said something about pictures???

Agreed!

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
ok, ok.

I'll try to get pics posted by tomorrow evening.

It is, by the way, a LH Model 70 in the new McMillan "checkered" FWT stock pattern.

I know alot of folks on here complained about McMillan's choice of checkering pattern for that stock looking kinda hokey, but I gotta tell you with the barreled action in the stock it looks pretty darn nice, IMO.

Furthermore, it handles like a dream! Much better than without checkering.

Pics to come, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 08/21/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well than I certainly do want to see this rifle,
I'm about to order a LH FW. I was wondering about the look of the checkering.

I really wish the fleur-de-lis pattern was available, it's what makes the FW so distinct.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Ok guys, here's a few pics.

I tried to get really clear closeups so you can really see how good Eddie's Cerakote job is.

Also, just an FYI, I asked Eddie to coat the inside of the action but not to coat the bolt lugs or bolt body(only the bolt handle,safety,extractor retaining ring and shroud have Cerakote). By doing this my action still cycles as smoothly as before Cerakote(actually it feels better than before). I put just a dab of gunslick on a cotton swab and rubbed it in the raceway and on the back of the lugs(slicked things up just a bit). After doing this and cycling the action a couple of dozen times, the action feels silky smooth but actually a little tighter than before. Having said that, when I lift the bolt and tip the rifle muzzle up the bolt slides effortlessly back until the bolt stop catches it. So, in other words, the cerakote does not cause any drag on the bolt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh267/Smikemath/LHWin70Cerakote017.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh267/Smikemath/LHWin70Cerakote005.jpg[/img]

Other than the glass bedded McMillan and the Cerakote, this rifle is all factory. It puts 130 grain Barnes T-TSXs into itty bitty groups.

[img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh267/Smikemath/LHWin70Cerakote027.jpg[/img]

And does nearly as good with 130gr Partitions.

[img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh267/Smikemath/LHWin70Cerakote026.jpg[/img]

Need to try the Ramshot Hunter with the T-TSX and see if I can get that velocity up over 3,000fps and still keep the groups tight.

Buck/Bull(Deer/Elk combo) tag in Utah this October, should be fun.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 08/23/11.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, that looks great!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lefty, Any chance I could have that stock? smile Just asking.

Nice rig....Did you go edge fill? Do you happen to know the weight diff between factory wood and the Micky?

Last edited by Kenneth; 08/22/11.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it.

I originally had McMillan's FWT stock without checkering on it. I loved the looks and feel of the stock, but without checkering it just felt like I couldn't get a good grip on the stock(felt like my hand was going to slide off the pistol grip).

The checkering makes this stock feel completely different(in a good way).

Just found my new favorite rifle.

Leftybolt

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Kenneth,

You can have your own in 4 months for a measly 4 1/2 bills. grin

No, I just went with standard fill on this one. The FWT stock is very trim and I'm not a real big fan of ultralights. You may have noticed that the barrel is standard 24" factory sporter(not 22" featherweight).

To me the gun feels plenty light(balances very nicely, comes to the shoulder very quickly despite the 24" tube) but feels solid.

I'd guess somewhere around 7.5 lbs w/ scope and Talley steel mounts but it is balanced so nicely that it doesn't feel nearly that heavy.

As far as comparing the McMillan to the FWT factory walnut goes, this is what I can tell you. I own a LH FWT 270WSM(same sporter barrel contour as this rifle but on a short action)in factory walnut. This "standard fill" McMillan stocked long action to me feels somewhat lighter than the WSM.

IMO, an edge fill FWT stock on either a WSM or true FWT contoured barreled-action would be significantly lighter than the factory walnut.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 08/23/11.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Wow, that does look nice! Very nice setup!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.