Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Really a good discussion here people! smile Page 2 and no name calling!

Of course not! This place tends to be a bit more refined than the rest of this site smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
By mentioning Failsafes, I remember Ross Seyfried extolled the virtues of them quite often. I've got one article where he reports the TSX as being a pretty close replacement.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I loaded up 10 rounds of 75gr R15 as suggested above and will try them out this weekend. The_shootist and I will get to spend some quality family time over each others new toys.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
75's a little hot...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

"75's a little hot"...

74 grains R15 with the 270 TSX or 260 gr. Partitions and the primers are pretty flat. I would think 75 and hot weather would be pushing it a bit.

Lefty C

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends upon the rifle. I have loaded 75 for about 10 years or more, 76 leaves me with a hard to extract case about every 30-40 shots.

I know of another Mod 70 exactly like mine that works the same. However My partners Sako will not handle 76 at all and is stiff with 75 grains. Another Mauser rifle of yet another PH I work with handles 75 and 76 the same and has never struggled one bit with even 76 grains.

So it's always best to start at about 72-73 and then figure out what your gun can do from there. the pressure is exponential with a grain of powder. Just because 74 works fine does not mean 75 should. The difference can be drastic when your bumping up against the limits.

My factory Hornady test loads with 270 grain bullets shoot 2850fps. They measured 76 grains of ??? powder. I cannot get to 2850 at 75 grains but I can do just over 2850 with 76 grains. At 75 grains I'm about 2800 even. The pressure goes up in my Mod 70 right at 76 grains. Ideally 2800fps with the 270 bullet is a perfect match. It is magnificent on all game.

Your rifle may vary!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like I need to bump up my load then. I'm running 74gr at about 2700.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,

I've used 74 gr RL15 w CCI primers on three safaris with no problems at all in two different .375s. One shot kills on everything up through zebra. Took three shots on the eland. He was dead with the first one but just wouldn't fall down - just stood there with all four legs braced out. One of the three at @ 25 yards was a complete pass through and the other two are the only ones ever recovered. What more is needed?

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oday: that is exactly what I am running on my 375s as I said, but as JJ says he is getting a lot more velocity with those two extra grains. I might just have to try it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The amazing load is the hornady factory stuff, how do they manage such amazing velocity?

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, medicman's CZ550 with the express sights shot 300 grain SP's as well at 50 metres as any rifle I've shot recently. The 270 TSX was also very nice, but the 300's edged them a tad bit. The holes were touching with the 300's, and not quite with the 270's. We were using a 20 yard rimfire target with about a 2.5 inch sighting bull. Drilled it pretty good.

My 405 Winchester took the accuracy crown though -- and with 300 grain bullets as well. laugh Fun times -- thanks, Randy.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Okay, still no swearing at each other yet and on page 3.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 08/21/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blaser_guy
[Linked Image]

I much prefer that a mono opens like the one on the right even if it is sometimes inclined to lose some of the width when striking heavy bone. I've found more like the one on the left in recent years and I don't care for the damage the minimal expansion makes. I have yet to see an animal hit by a petal-losing mono do anything but fall down and die very quickly.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
With my 22" Hart barrel I get 2750 with 74 gr R15. prolly not max but looks close based on the primers.

LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reports like these about the Barnes mono bullets are showing up more often. While I admit to little experience myself with these bullets, I must say that I still perfer leaded bullets like the Swift A-Frames and Partitions. That could be because my PH has suffered failures with the Barnes bullets and will not use them now...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dag nab it I love the 270 tsx but have to say my CZ shoots the 300gr lead core just as accurately. Make up your mind you old fool! Oh yeah, who you calling an old fool?

There the first mud slinging spoils the good thread. smile

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was likely the most vocal anti Barnes X PH on the web for the first years it was out.

Seems every year they came out with a new version. or modification of some sort. Then the TSX was released. That first season I had a number of hunters with them. Not a single failure or reason to complain. The next year more then half my hunters used them. Again 100% flawless performance.

About that time I decided that they might have finally spent enough R&D and got the things to work. I loaded them up and used them for myself that same year. I was simply stunned at the way they turned my 30/06 into a more lethal round then a 300 win mag using standard cup and core bullets.

I could shoot 165gr bullets as fast as the 300 mag shot 180's and My bullets retained 100% weight and always exited. It was not the equal of the 300 mag, it was superior to the 300 mag. Hmmm what would these be like in the 375HH?

Every bit as good as the 30/06 improvement or better. Never looked back and cannot say enough good about them. As stated, I was not a fan of the "X" but when they work this good, I'm not egotistical enough to continue complaining and not change my mind now in public. They are just about near perfection in a projectile

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
JJHACK
There is many good bullets on market today and nearly every of premium bullet have specific qualities and own fan-club. If I will come next time to SA most probably my 9,3x64 brenneke will be loaded with 270gr TSX making 2700-2800 f/s for simple reason - African game have much thicker skin than other game, shooting distances can be longer and exit wound is recommended. I have read so many good recommendations for TSX therefore eager to try. But here in home I prefer bullet what will not exit and this for simple reason...mostly we have driven hunt (moose, red deer or wild boar)...and second - man's in firing line stand max 100yrs from each other. Most likely you shoot on 50-70yrd distance. In such situation exit wound is not recommended. Therefore here in North my preference is still Lapua Mega or Norma Oryx...but as you described...never say never.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.