Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
All good,man. The painter who finished my office last weekend, and who's stopping by today to pick up his check, is going to be confused when he steps into my office and I complain about his poor work product.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, glad y'all are OK.
Got a text from our engineer, who was in Philadelphia for a training class, saying that they had a quake and were having to evacuate via the stairs from the 32 floor.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm glad it all worked out for you and the entire region.

Does casualty insurance in the area include earthquake coverage? We can't get it here.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
You know,that's a good question. I have no idea if it's covered or one of those "acts of God" disqualifiers.

I have renter's insurance for my office and I don't know if I'm covered. I only have drywall repair and paint to worry about and I'm certain I could get the job done for less than whatever deductible I may or may not have,if it's covered.

I'd love to hear the conversation when the National Cathedral is told they're not covered because of a "act of God" exclusion.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
Thanks.

When I got home, I had a little smile on my face thinking the quake had my daughter's Yorkies shaking so much they stroked out.

Nope.

But,once I figure out which one of them pinched a loaf on my new "Sporting Classics" magazine,there will be only one remaining survivor.

Ahhh, the joys of having an indoor dog. Mine pissed on one of my BMW magazines one time!.... little fart.
laugh

BTW, that sounds like quite an adventure you had yesterday, Bob.
Is your building going to be OK, for the most part? A shame to see something with that much history get trashed.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks Tim. It looks more a wall repair and paint job but with what happened to the water fountain,maybe there's a problem in the guts of the building. They'll have a structural engineer come out and have a look being that it enjoys a historical museum designation by the city.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gotta know Bob, did you take the ghetto blaster into work today and play Jerry Lee Lewis "whole lotta shakin going on" at full volume?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
btw last good earthquake we had in these parts was years ago. On a Sunday and mom and I had gone to work to give a class on front desk performance.

bad feeling to have stuff coming down off the walls and shelves and know the kids were 7 miles away home alone.

it really is a bit disquieting when something you take for granted everyday terra firma, becomes terra wiggly

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The New Madrid fault may wake up from its nearly silent 200 year sleep one of these day, that one caused the mighty Mississippi River to change course in a matter of minutes at the beginning of the 19th Century around 1811 in Mid- Missouri.

That could do a LOT more damage than this east coast one of even some of the bigger west coast one have.

Use you googlefu to check it out

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by isaac
Thanks.

When I got home, I had a little smile on my face thinking the quake had my daughter's Yorkies shaking so much they stroked out.

Nope.

But,once I figure out which one of them pinched a loaf on my new "Sporting Classics" magazine,there will be only one remaining survivor.

This made me smile like heck. grin

I can see you chasing those damn dogs all over the house.

Glad you and yours are fine.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The New Madrid and be kind of fun. I must have been around 15 when I felt the last quake from the New Madrid. Widows were shaking, pictures were falling off walls. I went to the kitchen to see my mother holding one set of cabinet doors closed while my sister was keeping the other side closed. The dishes were rattling on the shelves and all my mother could say was, "It's out fault"

Now if you want an earth shaking experience, try being under a Trident in drydock when a nice roller puts waves over the end of the drydock and you can see light between the blocks the sub is sitting on and the sub. That one stayed with me a while.

I am glad all you guys got was a little excitement and no one was hurt. It quits getting fun when someone gets hurt.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
The New Madrid fault may wake up from its nearly silent 200 year sleep one of these day, that one caused the mighty Mississippi River to change course in a matter of minutes at the beginning of the 19th Century around 1811 in Mid- Missouri.

That could do a LOT more damage than this east coast one of even some of the bigger west coast one have.

Use you googlefu to check it out

Wasn't that quake one of the strongest(if not the strongest) in this country? Of course, in 1811 how would you tell how strong the quake was??
confused

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It rang church bells in Boston. The Mississippi flowed backwards for a couple of days. Yep, it was a goon one.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad you're okay. Scary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 340boy
[

Wasn't that quake one of the strongest(if not the strongest) in this country? Of course, in 1811 how would you tell how strong the quake was??
confused

When it knocks horses & cattle off their feet!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.