Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was having a bit of trouble last season with the tips on the Partitions banging around in the magazine and deforming e.g. flattening out. Some of the old shooters told me the deformation shouldn't harm the accuracy but I'm not so sure. I thought I would look for a plastic/polymer tip to prevent this from happening. So, I was thinking about switching to the Accubond's to fix that issue. Same bullet weight, avg. shooting distance of 75 yards, same rifle. Anyone have experience with both and know of any advantages/disadvantages to either one?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The tips being beat up is something that happens, if I was doing a lot of shooting @ 500 plus then it might be a concern for me.

But, for average ranges of 75 yds it'd be one of the last things I'd be for worrying about. But dats just me, either one will do you just fine.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes Sir, I'd use the most accurate of the two, and do lots of shootin', walkin', and ridin', and counting down the days grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For the design being so much different, they really work almost identical, in my experiences. The accubonds are a lot cheaper last I checked.

Really whichever is more accurate in your gun.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Flip a coin.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AccuBonds have been more accurate in my 7mm RM than Partitions. Same in my Roberts.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Terminal performance is, they say, very similar. I haven't used any equal-weight versions of each on game so I don't know.

But generally speaking, in my experience price, accuracy, and bullet BC are advantage: Accubond.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the help fellas.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Load
I was having a bit of trouble last season with the tips on the Partitions banging around in the magazine and deforming e.g. flattening out. Some of the old shooters told me the deformation shouldn't harm the accuracy but I'm not so sure. I thought I would look for a plastic/polymer tip to prevent this from happening. So, I was thinking about switching to the Accubond's to fix that issue. Same bullet weight, avg. shooting distance of 75 yards, same rifle. Anyone have experience with both and know of any advantages/disadvantages to either one?

The tips being banged up a bit does not bother anything....I routinely take left over hunting ammo loaded with Partitions,that has sat in the bottom of the magazine,and shot them post season...that it cause any accuracy issue is shooter myth.I have not seen it...likely I have killed game with them as well,bu pay so little attention to it,I maybe did not notice.

I would rather have the tips of Partitions a bit damaged than have the plastic tip of an AB bust off under recoil in the magazine,and stove up an action...yes, I had had it happen once,last year.(Yeah I have the picture)...I know a damaged Partition will still feed,and hit to normal game ranges...the sharp edge of the exposed cavity of an AB so damaged,can hang up on the feed ramp,and not feed the round;and migrating broken plastic tips can wind up anywhere.

Freak incident?Maybe.....but the box of factory fresh 300 Win Mag ammo loaded with 180 gr AB's that I opened one day with half a dozen tips that had fallen out, did not reinforce my confidence one bit....

So from where I sit,"dependability" resides with the Partition.I have more important things to worry about than bullets misbehaving at inopportune times on a hunt.....I can do without the trick stuff, thanks anyway.

As to accuracy, I have had it run both ways....the AB is a very accurate bullet....and my 7 mag loves them...but it shoots Partitions, too.... :)I have fired so many MOA groups to 600 yards with the Partitions(and killed with it from 300-500 yards)enough times that I don't worry about fractional differences in accuracy between the two.

If you could not get it done with a Partition,you won't get it done with an AB either.

From the standpoint of terminal effectivness, I doubt there is enough difference to write home about....the Partition is proved worldwide on any animal capable of being taken with an expanding bullet...it may be trumped in some respects by other designs, but it is still a very safe bet on about anything....

I have seen a big herd bull at over 500 yards have the legs jerked from under him with a 160 gr Partition from a 7 Rem Mag....my last 6x6 bull was dropped in mid stride at 175 yards from a 160 gr Partition through the shoulders.Both bullets exited....It is a very good load for about anything.

For me, there is no sense messing with success.....Partitions. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Load

The tips being banged up a bit does not bother anything....I routinely take left over hunting ammo loaded with Partitions,that has sat in the bottom of the magazine,and shot them post season...that it cause any accuracy issue is shooter myth.I have not seen it...likely I have killed game with them as well,bu pay so little attention to it,I maybe did not notice.

I would rather have the tips of Partitions a bit damaged than have the plastic tip of an AB bust off under recoil in the magazine,and stove up an action...yes, I had had it happen once,last year.(Yeah I have the picture)...I know a damaged Partition will still feed,and hit to normal game ranges...the sharp edge of the exposed cavity of an AB so damaged,can hang up on the feed ramp,and not feed the round;and migrating broken plastic tips can wind up anywhere.

Freak incident?Maybe.....but the box of factory fresh 300 Win Mag ammo loaded with 180 gr AB's that I opened one day with half a dozen tips that had fallen out, did not reinforce my confidence one bit....

So from where I sit,"dependability" resides with the Partition.I have more important things to worry about than bullets misbehaving at inopportune times on a hunt.....I can do without the trick stuff, thanks anyway.

As to accuracy, I have had it run both ways....the AB is a very accurate bullet....and my 7 mag loves them...but it shoots Partitions, too.... :)I have fired so many MOA groups to 600 yards with the Partitions(and killed with it from 300-500 yards)enough times that I don't worry about fractional differences in accuracy between the two.

If you could not get it done with a Partition,you won't get it done with an AB either.

From the standpoint of terminal effectivness, I doubt there is enough difference to write home about....the Partition is proved worldwide on any animal capable of being taken with an expanding bullet...it may be trumped in some respects by other designs, but it is still a very safe bet on about anything....

I have seen a big herd bull at over 500 yards have the legs jerked from under him with a 160 gr Partition from a 7 Rem Mag....my last 6x6 bull was dropped in mid stride at 175 yards from a 160 gr Partition through the shoulders.Both bullets exited....It is a very good load for about anything.

For me, there is no sense messing with success.....Partitions. smile

Sound logic.

I saw loose tips very early on with 225-gn NAB's in .338. I've run quite a lot since and haven't seen it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those little plastic tips flattened a bit too. Don't know if it makes a difference. Doubt it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There was a problem VERY early with the tips coming off. It was traced to one stage of production, and was due to somebody trying to make them more rapidly, partly because of very high demand. Bhat particular problem was solved years ago.

I don't know how many plastic-tipped bullets of various I've shot at varmints and big game, but it numbers in the tens of thousands. I vaguely remember finding on with the tip missing, but it certainly is quite rare. In big game ammo a firm wiggle of each tip after each round is loaded would probably eliminate the possibility.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run the Accu-Bond is several rifles and on elk the performace was well just some dead elk on the other end of them.
Should be fine with either.Shooting avg distance of 75 yds I wouldn't sweat it.I get the mashed nose in my .338 RUM using the 210 gr Partions and they shoot true as far as I want to shoot it.Switched last year to the 225 gr AB in it now.
BBJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have pretty much replaced Partitions with ABs as I use up the Partitions that I have loaded. I have used ABs in magazine rifles chambered for the .270 WSM, .300 WSM, .300 Wby, .338 WM, and .375 H&H, and have yet to have a tip come off in the magazine. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but apparently Nosler solved the problem before I started using ABs.

I have found it easier to quickly find an accurate load with ABs for just about every rifle in which I have tried them. I have also been impressed with their terminal performance on game ranging from Coues whitetails up through elk and African plains game.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a couple of boxes of accubonds for my 300 WM and actually sighted the rifle in with them. I was fairly satisfied with the groupings as they were accurate enough for hunting. In fact, I shot a doe using AB's in June using a depredation tag and it performed well. After reading good things about PP Partitions, I decided to give them a try and glad I did. Accuracy improved just a bit, but enough to win me over. I will probably use the AB's for deer or hogs. The partitions are going elk hunting in October. I don't know if you would have the same experience with your 7MM but I sure give them a try.

Last edited by Biggs300; 08/23/11.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had a couple tips come completley off accubonds but that has never kept me from smacking the gong at 300 yds

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
shortmag: The tip popping off may be a minor point..To clarify, it didn't pop out,in my case it "broke off".....but it is one of those "what ifs?"...hard to get out of my mind, even though I have no doubt Nosler addressed the issue....they don't make any junk over there... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
...hard to get out of my mind, even though I have no doubt Nosler addressed the issue....they don't make any junk over there... wink

Bob, yeah they do. They're called factory seconds... grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the exact same question a few years back. I went to the Nosler website and they indicated that each rifle is unique. They recommended finding out which one groups best in the rifle you plan to use.

I was looking at VanZwoll's book over the weekend. He addressed the issue of the bashed bullet tip. His take on it was something to the effect that unless the deformity is severe it will have little effect on accuracy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a batch of accubonds that the tips fell off of over time. Took the bad ones to the range, and at 100 yards the POI was identical to the still tipped stuff. Not sure how it'd effect down range performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (01Foreman400, 16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,779
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.