Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Lol... That took a while.

It's not BS. It's empirical fact. It's not even debatable IF. Only WHEN.

When it happens, and best estimates are that it's begun already or will soon, everything I've described will happen. Folks, this modern world that we take for granted is entirely predicated on cheap, concentrated, portable energy. Oil. Nothing else meets those three criteria- not hydrogen, nothing.

Ask yourself this. Can the world economy function with a gallon of gas at many multiples of it's current cost? Because that's what's going to happen.

But let's argue that on another day. If granting the premise is too difficult for you- fine. There's other threads. smile

An Empirical Fact is: "Pertaining to, or founded upon, experiment or experience."

Your hypothetical is based upon "Peak Oil" which has been predicting such a thing for two or three generations now.

Fact, oil is finite.

Fact, the source of the earth's energy--the Sun--is also finite.

Problem: Humans have been solving problems for a very long time. Humans will be forced to solve the next one. In order to do so, personal liberty is necessary. The Soviets has resources and order-- but lacked personal liberty--and thus inventions to solve their problems.

The day you, Jeff, were born, the iPhone was a fantasy-science fiction. Today, its "normal".

When one discounts humanity, one is bound to fail.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It cannot be over-emphasized that the problem is COST. The COST of this liquid energy will go exponential as production declines and demand stats high.

The cost of energy is a major structural element of the globally economy. Hell... it's THE major structural element.

When it fails- and it will- everything changes. It will make the current endless recession seem like a bad joke. There will be massive societal upheaval. So- perhaps one thing that changes is as Will says. We remove the parasitic financial class. Currently, speculators add .80� to the retail cost of a gallon of gas. There's an obvious one.

So to my point- what political theory, what political movement or party, is most likely to say this, to actually attempt to remove the parasitic parts of the finance sector

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Penguin
Energy, energy, energy, energy.

It is taken for granted now, it will not be so for long. In the end there is going to have to be some major paradigm shifts in the way nations are governed and operated because of changing energy sources. Some here believe that there is no end of cheap energy IN THE LIQUID FORM WE HAVE ORIENTED OUR ENTIRE NATION AROUND.

Will

We have a 100 year supply of coal that we are not allowed to touch and sufficient domestic oil for other purposes.

We also have wind power going online and nuclear. Pleayy of energy by political forces (many from the peak oil crowd) won't let us use it.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It cannot be over-emphasized that the problem is COST. The COST of this liquid energy will go exponential as production declines and demand stats high.

The cost of energy is a major structural element of the globally economy. Hell... it's THE major structural element.

When it fails- and it will- everything changes. It will make the current endless recession seem like a bad joke. There will be massive societal upheaval. So- perhaps one thing that changes is as Will says. We remove the parasitic financial class. Currently, speculators add .80� to the retail cost of a gallon of gas. There's an obvious one.

So to my point- what political theory, what political movement or party, is most likely to say this, to actually attempt to remove the parasitic parts of the finance sector

Agreed. But freedom to allow folks to invent, and profit from their inventions, is what makes change.

Witness: Thomas Edison.

Not some CZAR from the Politburo telling everyone to have 1 child.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 08/26/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who's not allowed to touch it?

My god every time I go home I pass be another mountain that has been blown straight to hell in the process of removing coal. I see trains with hundreds of box cars loaded to the brim with prime bituminous pass me by on the way down New River.

I don't know where they ain't allowed to dig it but it sure the hell ain't in my old stomping grounds. :p

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT

Lol... That took a while.

It's not BS. It's empirical fact. It's not even debatable IF. Only WHEN.

When it happens, and best estimates are that it's begun already or will soon, everything I've described will happen. Folks, this modern world that we take for granted is entirely predicated on cheap, concentrated, portable energy. Oil. Nothing else meets those three criteria- not hydrogen, nothing.

Ask yourself this. Can the world economy function with a gallon of gas at many multiples of it's current cost? Because that's what's going to happen.

But let's argue that on another day. If granting the premise is too difficult for you- fine. There's other threads. smile

An Empirical Fact is: "Pertaining to, or founded upon, experiment or experience."

Your hypothetical is based upon "Peak Oil" which has been predicting such a thing for two or three generations now.

Fact, oil is finite.

Problem: Humans have been solving problems for a very long time. Humans will be forced to solve the next one. In order to do so, personal liberty is necessary. The Soviets has resources and order-- but lacked personal liberty--and thus inventions to solve their problems.

The day you, Jeff, were born, the iPhone was a fantasy-science fiction. Today, its "normal".

BMT

Beautiful! And true.

But you still don't get it. It's ok, we are so "of the era" that it's very difficult to imagine otherwise.

Who buys an iPhone when an economy is in such turmoil that the basics- such as how to afford food when you've lost your job because the company you worked for went under because nobody buys their widgets because everybody can barely afford food?

Who can afford to commute to work from the suburbs at $20/gal?

Transporting goods cheaply is the most basic element of the global economy. Look around you. Virtually everything you own, is directly traceable to CHEAP OIL.

So- will humanity prevail? Yes we will. But it's going to get very ugly first for a very long time.

So given this premise how do politics play out? How do the positions of the current parties dovetail with this?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
$20 per gallon-No problem--Work at home via computer.

Cost of transportation increases? CHINA loses. Imports decrease.

CHINA will have turmoil, famine and death. We produce enough food, with Transportation costs HIGH, foreign imports go DOWN.

Canning (versus frozen foods) goes up. Fruit is irradiated and stored in Pure Nitrogen.

These solutions exist today, but CHEAP TRANSPORTATION keeps them at bay.

Did you know that band-aids are s irradiated?

BMT

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT

It is taken for granted now, it will not be so for long. In the end there is going to have to be some major paradigm shifts in the way nations are governed and operated because of changing energy sources. Some here believe that there is no end of cheap energy IN THE LIQUID FORM WE HAVE ORIENTED OUR ENTIRE NATION AROUND.

Will

We have a 100 year supply of coal that we are not allowed to touch and sufficient domestic oil for other purposes.

We also have wind power going online and nuclear. Pleayy of energy by political forces (many from the peak oil crowd) won't let us use it.

BMT

"Peak coal" is just as real. Again, it's COST. We've picked the low hanging fruit, things just get more expensive from here. Same with natural gas.

And coal isn't cheap, portable, and dense (all three). It can't fly planes, power cars, or container ships (practically speaking).

Nuclear is a good one. Guys who hate it- like me- are going to have to just STFU. But it still doesn't provide for cheap transportation of goods.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
China will have those things. We are in a better position by far.

Which doesn't change what I'm saying. Long, deep, dark recession. Decades long. Deeper than anyone can imagine.

Does classic liberalism or conservatism show a way forward? Seems to me both have the assumption that things are more or less stable and "normal".

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Nuclear is a good one. Guys who hate it- like me- are going to have to just STFU. But it still doesn't provide for cheap transportation of goods.

Works for the Navy . . . . .

And most Trains are ELECTICAL with Diesel generators.

BMT

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
conservatism

Promotion of personal freedom breeds SOLUTIONS to problems.

Cannot be shown to have worked under any Monarchy or Communist system.

BMT

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

It is taken for granted now, it will not be so for long.
We have enough coal to power the US for several centuries to come.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
so, what do we globalist humans need? we need cheap, or available food, cheap clothing, cotton, or otherwise. wool, down, etc. etc. are not bad, in a cold climate.

and of course shelter. waterproof shelter, with a central htg system. now, we're talking.

would all of those attributes be down in the Heart of Texas?? grin

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BMT

Fact, oil is finite.

BMT
+1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Who's not allowed to touch it?

My god every time I go home I pass be another mountain that has been blown straight to hell in the process of removing coal. I see trains with hundreds of box cars loaded to the brim with prime bituminous pass me by on the way down New River.

I don't know where they ain't allowed to dig it but it sure the hell ain't in my old stomping grounds. :p

Will
They're closing down lots of coal burning plants, and plan to close down the rest of them by making it too expensive for them to remain in operation.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Gus
so, what do we globalist humans need?

A clue.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by Gus

A clue.

so, should we release all humans to go with the flow? or should we work to keep them bottled up within various countries?

seriously, what are the advantages and disadvantages about or related to such choices??

i mean, we've got the Euro, the Yen, the Chinese Yuan, and the Peso.

the Peso, you say? grin

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by Gus

A clue.

so, should we release all humans to go with the flow? or should we work to keep them bottled up within various countries?

seriously, what are the advantages and disadvantages about or related to such choices??

the Peso, you say? grin

Start your own thread.

This one is JO's

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus

the Peso, you say? grin
Gus, did you forget your anti-psychotic today?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wrong. There's something that destroys economies, and will destroy ours soon enough.

But let's not debate the premise here. Grant my premise.Think outside the bun. The most fundamental building block of the global economy fails... there's no solution that puts us back where we were- none.

I knew it, blame the Mexicans

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 9 invisible), 989 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,091
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.