Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, since starting the thread 4 years ago, I got over my FAL interest smirk

It would be kinda neat to have a really good one, or one of the genuine Belgian FN FAL's, but it wouldn't be an insignificant investment. And if I was lucky it would shoot almost as well as my AR's smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

It would be kinda neat to have a really good one, or one of the genuine Belgian FN FAL's, but it wouldn't be an insignificant investment. And if I was lucky it would shoot almost as well as my AR's smirk

Thanks a lot, Amigo.

Now you got ME interested.

I don't own an AR.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm gonna have to drag a FAL out to the range again one o'these days.

Mine are settin' in there accumulating cobwebs.

I took one out to the range about 3 or 4 years ago and somebody had hung a 12" square steel plate gong out at the 300 yard line.

All these old boys were sittin' there with their bolt rifles,...checking the wind,...doin' this or that. Every now and then somebody would touch off a round and hit the gong.

I sat down with an old FAL that I had mounted a 3-9X40 Nikon Monarch on and proceeded to put a 20 round mag on the gong in about a minute or maybe a little bit less.

Everybody there kinda acted like they had the redass at me after that.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This old smoked up parts bin special,...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parts bin guns can be first rate if they're built right. A good FAL kit and a proper receiver are the first steps. Then just put her together right. Barrel timing is crucial, and then you just need to get the locking shoulder measured right and you're on your way; the rest is just RETARD easy. When built right, you'll have a 2.5 MOA rifle that handles better than any .308 battle rifle out there, and goes bang every time you pull the trigger (that last part is kinda handy).

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah,...most of it is easy,....but that little spring on the magazine catch goes shootin' off into eternity about 3 out of 5 times.

I'd rather screw a barrel on than have to mess with that spring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

[Linked Image]

What's the overall length of the rifle in the picture?

Are they made with different length barrels?

I tried google but couldn't tell for sure from what I read.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Good call.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It takes ALOT of time and money getting the Century FAL's up to snuff. DSA has a Voyager model going for $1125.

That would be my choice.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570

[Linked Image]

What's the overall length of the rifle in the picture?

Are they made with different length barrels?

I tried google but couldn't tell for sure from what I read.

The original standard barrel was a 21", with a sleek flash hider that was probably 4 inches long. 60-70 countries adopted them, so there were many variations. Lately DS Arms has been the main civilian producer here in the US. They have a bunch of different models. With a short flash hider on the standard rifle they give the OAL as 44".

http://www.dsarms.com/c-812-rifles.aspx

They even make an FAL pistol with 8.25" barrel eek grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks a lot, Amigo.

Now you got ME interested.

I don't own an AR.

smile AR's are modular, and easy to work on, to customize as you like. They are also reliable, versatile, and accurate. I have a couple of AR-10's in .308 and a couple in .223.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds too long for a pickup rifle. I got the cataract off my right eye last week and I could use an aperture sight again, and I like that in a pickup rifle.

My Marlin 444 still has the open sights, so I may just take the scope off it and haul it around.

But damn it's heavy.

I've give Ed too much hell over plastic rifles and skinny bullets. If I go with an AR I'll never live it down.

But one chambered for 308 might not be a bad deal.

What's the overall length on those?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The lighter of my two AR10's is a touch over 40", with the adjustable stock at a normal shooting position. That's with an 18" barrel and a fairly long Vortex flash hider. You could save another 2-3 inches with a 16" barrel and standard flash hider. But it will be loud, and heavy (~10 lbs empty)

Mine does shoot decently, even on a windy day:

[Linked Image]

For a shorter, lighter gun, you may well want an AR in either .223, or .300 Blackout, which is sort of a .30 carbine on steroids smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 07/28/15.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I go with an AR I'll never live it down.

Nobody would hold it against you. Almost everybody makes a mistake on occasion.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Sounds too long for a pickup rifle. I got the cataract off my right eye last week and I could use an aperture sight again, and I like that in a pickup rifle.

My Marlin 444 still has the open sights, so I may just take the scope off it and haul it around.

But damn it's heavy.

I've give Ed too much hell over plastic rifles and skinny bullets. If I go with an AR I'll never live it down.

Sorry,...didn't see your question, but fortunately somebody else did.

FAL's are great for what they are. They're a big, heavy, durable, easily maintained battle instrument. But they're lumps,...about 9.5 lbs. is typical.

If I needed a rifle to keep from getting my ass shot off, a FAL would be high on the list, but I'd be hard pressed to want to haul one around for any type of long range recreational activity.

On the other hand, this old boy I used to chat with up in Alaska screwed a .358 Winchester barrel on his and he says that it's a good tool for the big bear country.

I'd say that 20 rounds of 220 grain bullets at 2600 fps ought to be enough. It seems to work for him.

If you can get a barrel turned for one in .358, everything else is already there. The actions and the magazines just go along like they're eatin' .308.

Here's his bear. He says the situation made him a bit tense, but the .358 FAL took care of it well enough. A dependable semi auto and a 20 round mag of .358 is a pretty good dangerous game tool.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
.....about the same as a .338 Federal AR I'd think.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah,...most of it is easy,....but that little spring on the magazine catch goes shootin' off into eternity about 3 out of 5 times.

I'd rather screw a barrel on than have to mess with that spring.
Yeah, that whole area around the mag catch is kinda busy on a FAL. It's amazing how simple a FAL is, yet is has a chit load of small parts. Fortunately none of those parts ever go wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The lighter of my two AR10's is a touch over 40", with the adjustable stock at a normal shooting position. That's with an 18" barrel and a fairly long Vortex flash hider. You could save another 2-3 inches with a 16" barrel and standard flash hider. But it will be loud, and heavy (~10 lbs empty)

Mine does shoot decently, even on a windy day:

[Linked Image]

For a shorter, lighter gun, you may well want an AR in either .223, or .300 Blackout, which is sort of a .30 carbine on steroids smile

Donnie K. has a 300 Whisper, or maybe it's a Blackout. He was showing it to me awhile back.

Only 223 I've ever owned was a Ruger Ranch rifle not long after they came out. It would be a good fit for me, but the damn thing shot about 6 moa.... and that was with a scope. I sent it down the road.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bristoe was that at the Bluegrass Sportsmens league 300 yard range ,? if so yea those ,benchrest boys with there 7000 dollor rifles dont like being showed up with someone with a military battle rifle ,too funny
I'm gonna have to drag a FAL out to the range again one o'these days.

Mine are settin' in there accumulating cobwebs.

I took one out to the range about 3 or 4 years ago and somebody had hung a 12" square steel plate gong out at the 300 yard line.

All these old boys were sittin' there with their bolt rifles,...checking the wind,...doin' this or that. Every now and then somebody would touch off a round and hit the gong.

I sat down with an old FAL that I had mounted a 3-9X40 Nikon Monarch on and proceeded to put a 20 round mag on the gong in about a minute or maybe a little bit less.

Everybody there kinda acted like they had the redass at me after that.

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

But damn it's heavy.

Sorry,...didn't see your question, but fortunately somebody else did.

FAL's are great for what they are. They're a big, heavy, durable, easily maintained battle instrument. But they're lumps,...about 9.5 lbs. is typical.

If I needed a rifle to keep from getting my ass shot off, a FAL would be high on the list, but I'd be hard pressed to want to haul one around for any type of long range recreational activity.

On the other hand, this old boy I used to chat with up in Alaska screwed a .358 Winchester barrel on his and he says that it's a good tool for the big bear country.

I'd say that 20 rounds of 220 grain bullets at 2600 fps ought to be enough. It seems to work for him.

If you can get a barrel turned for one in .358, everything else is already there. The actions and the magazines just go along like they're eatin' .308.

Here's his bear. He says the situation made him a bit tense, but the .358 FAL took care of it well enough. A dependable semi auto and a 20 round mag of .358 is a pretty good dangerous game tool.

[Linked Image]

Alaska doesn't have magazine capacity limits for semi-auto game hunting rifles? In many states, semi-autos used for hunting game, not predators, are limited to a five round magazine, plus one in the chamber.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 160user, 257 mag, 41 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,504
Posts18,472,239
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.