Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am using a Vortex Viper 2x7x32 on my DPMS sweet sixteen. 2-3 inch groups off sticks at 200 on 7 power. Works for me.

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, received my scopes. Both happy and disappointed.
I like both scopes. The E1 is much lighter than the Eliminator, but that is no big surprise. I like the Eliminator's function, I am yet to shoot with it but the thick post on it makes me wonder if it is well suited for a small target like a prairie dog. Probably is Ok for coyotes. Will be fine for big game for sure. Ranging is instantaneous and operation is problem free, as was the mounting on the 300 wby.
The mounting on the AR is what was disappointing. I didn't go with integral fwd rings, and ordered a Yankee Hill 6" riser. The thing has two Allen screws threaded into aluminum on the opposite side, and fit loosely on the flat top. I installed it and while inspecting it, realized that the cantilevered forward part flexes under finger pressure by at least 1/16". I did not like this, why would I want a flexing part supporting the scope? When trying to take it off the rear bolt has galled in the aluminum and was impossible to remove, the Allen stripped and I ended up cutting a slot in it and using an air hammer to drive it loose. Pretty shabby design, even though the workmanship was good.
New mounts are now on order. The YH base will go back to Midway or in the scrap pile.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have had awfully good performance out of the Nikon Buckmasters
6-18. Don't much care for the goofy vertical post rings but I've learned to ignore them. I like your choice of rifles.

Si vis pacem para bellum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Paul, The Nikon M-223 line of scopes would have been great for your application.
Wouldn't matter if you choose the Rapid Action Turret that lets you dial the elevation Turret to your target yardage or the BDC Reticle. Either would have served you well. Also the Nikon M-223 AR Mount is a quality mount for a good price.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Update: received the Burris PEPR mount and a Millet 6" riser from Midway. Both parts are *solid*. The Burris mount is strong enough to use as a carry handle. The Burris E1 scope fit very well but I did use two layers of wax paper to take up the loose tolerance on the rings. Zeroed the rifle last weekend. It required quite a bit of vertical adjustment, was shooting 3 feet too low at 100 yards with scope at factory zero.
Once zeroed, the rifle shot 4 shot group under 3/4" with Walmart special Federal bulk ammo. I am quite happy with this! The trigger is very nice, not quite as nice as the 60-year old Swiss K-31 but better than typical off-the-mill hunting triggers I have used before. I really like 2-stage triggers and this one is a two stage with, interestingly, gritty feeling in the first stage, then a clean let-off on the second. I think all it needs is a cleaning of the trigger group, no reason for it to have grit in the first stage, which is just a spring.
Bman and Joatmon, yes I agree and have considered a Nikon but I liked the Burris E1 reticle better. I didn't like the little circles very much when I tried the Nikon.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
What scope would you put on a 223 Bushy Varminter, 24" barrel? Regardless of the price, for now. Intended use - prairie dogs and coyotes up to 250 yards. What mount would you use?
What reticle do you like? I am curious about the Burris new one that comes in the E1 series of Fullfields (4-14 is interesting).
Thanks!
-P

I put a 6-24 Signature w/Bal-Mil dot on my sons RR to do some accuracy testing, its now on my 6mm.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Leupold 3.5-10x50 balances nicely. I had M1's installed on this one, when I had it on my Bushmaster Varminter in a Larue mount. Nice setup, but I lost interest and parted it out.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.