Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
There is a southern tradition to hunt squirrels with .22 short hollow points. Explanations I have heard include that solid Long Rifles don't kill well and the hollow pointed tear up too much meat. Short hollow points are considered just right as they don't tear up too much meat when they penetrate the shoulders, yet stop squirrels "right now." I know lots of folks use match ammo and shoot squirrels with head shots, but that's not done in Kentucky. The brains are the best part!

As a kid I had access to the perfect squirrel rifle, a Winchester 1890 chambered and rifled for the short round. I have searched for years for a replacement, and acquired one last week, a newly made Browning Semi Auto in .22 short with the proper slow twist. I haven't shot it much, about 200 rounds, but thought you might find my results interesting. Perhaps Ill be able to hunt with it tomorrow!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My best groups are with Aguila HS shorts and CCI short CB Caps. The CCI hollow points are next and CCI match ammo has been disappointing. Is there any other . 22 short hollow point ammo available these days?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have always been a fan of the short, don't know why. I do know they knock the socks off of coons in a trap and have had a couple of skidders with the LR solid Russ

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
90% of what went through my first Marlin 39A were Shorts. Never noticed any difference in killing power...

Somewhere I can feel The Master of the Short, DigitalDan, lurking in the background....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love shooting shorts too, quiet, lots of killin power.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never found .22 LR HP's too destructive or lacking in killing power for squirrels.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
KyWindage do the CB shorts function the action of the little Browning?

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
They most certainly do! One of the coolest things about the little rifle. The bolt operates very slowly and with earmuffs on it is louder than the report. As you can see, accuracy isn't bad either!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That would make for a great little rifle for early season squirrels..

I wouldn't have dreamed that CBs would function the action.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Squirrel season starts here next thursday. I took my favorite .22 magnum squirrel blaster out to verify zero today. I've got 5 shots dead on the money into one ragged hole you can cover with a thumbtack with room to spare at 30 yards and 5 shots you can cover with a dime 1/2" high at 55 yards. Me thinks the furry litttle rodents are in it deep come thursday !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm a squirrel hunter that prefers 22LR Target ammo for hunting. I take head shots, as I want a clean, quick kill, zero meat loss, and I don't eat squirrel brains.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Since I moved into town a couple years ago the 94/22 has shot more CB shorts than anything else. Reminds me I need to go buy a few more boxes of them.....

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Dear Mud bogger: Glad you have retrieved the topic from thread hijackers and are talking about .22 shorts. I purchased a couple of boxes of CBs at Wally World and paid more for them than .22 short match ammo is online! Check around. You can get a brick for a good price. I see the CBs as taking back many duties from my air rifles around the house. On the other hand, I intend to keep the rifle iron sighted "just because" so that limits range a bit. Still minute of starling to twenty yards, minute of squirrel to twenty five and minute of groundhog to 50 (with hollow points) which is about the limit of cartridge, sights and 64 year old eyes.

There is something nice about a minimalist rifle/cartridge for our smaller game, plinking and general woods loafing.

Keep that little Winchester popping!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you got the shorts you dont need an airgun grin They are spendy, but the problems they seem to solve make them well worth cost.

Its actually the only time I have found a use for the adjustable sight ramp. 2nd notch up is on for 22lr stuff. And IIRC 1notch down from the top is zeroed with cb's on my back fence.

Never bought a brick of them before. Always just snagged a 100rnd box or two o cci's on the way home as I needed them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why shoot CB shorts when CB longs are available?

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I shot shorts in my Rem.550 from the50's til the90's,when they started costing as much as long rifles Iquit useing them.

Lakeland,Fl.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ConradCA

how much louder are they?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

how much louder are they?

I think they are identical with longer brass. I believe they both shoot the same bullet, same charge.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In a tubular magazine one gains firepower by choosing CB shorts over their longer counterparts. Assuming a LR chamber,LR Subsonics are tough to beat for precision.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One day as grandma was about to go to town grandpa asked her to pick him up a box of 22 shorts. She thought it was an odd request, but came back with twenty-two pair of underwear just like he asked. laugh It was the last time he had her buy ammo.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

'Cause some guns are chambered for shorts only. A few old ones are chambered for longs, not long rifles. And 'cause they shoot well?

I'm not surprised the Browning functions with CB shorts, the Model 24 Remington does and it's the same design.

The CBs not only make air rifles irrelevant to me, they make a lot of things irrelevant. "Quiet" has rewards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

50 yards, bag rest

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (1_deuce, 375sunrise, 338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 24 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,229
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.